+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 52 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 4126

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

City drawn away to dodgy Derby with their Class 1 Academy in their opening Youth Cup tie of the season - it'll be something of a giant killing if it does not turn out to be their only game in the competition.

The under 23s are currently in action at Millwall with a name I've not seen in ages (Keenan Patten) selected in our midfield. With the first team in action today, it is a very young side and they're 1-0 down just coming up to half time.

Finished 2-0 to Millwall to go with a defeat by the same score by the same opponents on Saturday in which I believe Taz Mayembe played left back.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The under 23s are currently in action at Millwall with a name I've not seen in ages (Keenan Patten) selected in our midfield. With the first team in action today, it is a very young side and they're 1-0 down just coming up to half time.
    Jack Walls came on for the second half today. I assume it's the Jack Walls who was released by Liverpool in the summer, a 19 year old right back. He was recalled for one under-23 game last month but made a mistake which cost Liverpool a 1-0 defeat and has presumably been re-released. Ticks the injury prone box, he's already broken his leg twice, so I assume we'll be signing him soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Jack Walls came on for the second half today. I assume it's the Jack Walls who was released by Liverpool in the summer, a 19 year old right back. He was recalled for one under-23 game last month but made a mistake which cost Liverpool a 1-0 defeat and has presumably been re-released. Ticks the injury prone box, he's already broken his leg twice, so I assume we'll be signing him soon.
    Jack Walls is in from the start today when, unusually, the under 23s, not the under 18s, are in action - they're away at Colchester and there's no news of any score yet after the game kicked off at 11.00.

Jack Walls is in from the start today when, unusually, the under 23s, not the under 18s, are in action - they're away at Colchester and there's no news of any score yet after the game kicked off at 11.00.
    Turns out I'm wrong, the under 18s are playing today at QPR - that game has just started and it's 0-0 at half time at Colchester.

Under 18s (with a team sheet containing many names I'd not heard of before) are 2-0 up at QPR with a couple of goals in the first fifteen minutes, but, unlike the first team, they've no problems in getting leads this season, it's hanging on them that's their problem.

Yet another defeat for the Under 23s, this time by 2-0 at Colchester, but the Academy team are 3-1 ahead at QPR at half time.

Yet another defeat for the Under 23s, this time by 2-0 at Colchester, but the Academy team are 3-1 ahead at QPR at half time.
    Has Mayembe been converted into a full back?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Has Mayembe been converted into a full back?
    Looking at the highlights of their last match, it looked like he was playing at left back, so he's probably playing there again as he's wearing the number three shirt. I'm hoping that they are just giving him some experience of playing in other positions,because I'd say it looks tougher for him to break into the first team squad as a left back than in his natural position at the moment.

A 3-2 win for the Under 18s today anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    FT 2 - 0.

I enjoyed that. The u23s played some good stuff at times.
    Good win that.. The other forum leader only posts when they lose

The U18s in the FA Youth Cup tonight (away at Derby) is free to watch on the City website.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    The U18s in the FA Youth Cup tonight (away at Derby) is free to watch on the City website.
    Thanks, I'll have a look at that - I'm not optimistic about the outcome though.

City win! 3-2 AET. Fantastic effort, fair play. Derby looked to have a bit more class (as per Bob's concerns) but City stuck in there. Well done, lads.

Watched a fair bit of what was a very watchable game. Well done City.
    One thing that stood out was the willingness to play out from the back. Much like Huddersfield did Sat and which we see little of at first team level.
    Really not a massive fan of this as it causes a lot of problems if your opponents have a high press.

City win! 3-2 AET. Fantastic effort, fair play. Derby looked to have a bit more class (as per Bob's concerns) but City stuck in there. Well done, lads.
    I saw the ninety minutes, but didn't watch extra time and would agree that Derby had some very talented individuals, but there was a brittleness to them that City didn't have and it's worth mentioning that the most hyped member of this group of players who has been involved with the first team in pre season matches, Taz Mayembe, was missing again, presumably with more injury problems.

Thought out keeper Cogman made some fine saves in the second half, Caleb Hughes showed why he is rated so highly at the club and Crole's first goal was well made and beautifully finished with an impressive calmness.

I wouldn't have given much for our chances at half time and even less when Derby equalised, but, as you say, we stuck in there and this is a fine win over Category 1 opponents by a squad which features a lot of players in their first season as regular choices in the under 18 team - i look forward to finding out who they draw in the next round.

A City team featuring Dillion Phillips, Greg Cunningham, Sol Bamba, Josh Murphy and Robert Glatzel also beat a Newport County side 3-0 in a friendly played at the Vale I think on Thursday - we won 3-0 with a couple of goals from Keiron Evans and one from Murphy who had earlier put a penalty high, wide and not too handsome.

Question:------ Ain't there one player amongst all these, who in your opinion can play right back. ??

Really good result.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Question:------ Ain't there one player amongst all these, who in your opinion can play right back. ??
    I don't think there is anyone in our Academy scholars/Development squad who could come into the first team and play right back to the required standard at the moment. Taylor Jones, who scored last night, and Ben Margetson have been playing right back for the Development side this season, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the club see them more as centre halves rather than full backs if they make the step up to the seniors. Jack Walls, who has played for Liverpool under 23s, has had a trial with City and played at right back in the couple of games he was involved in, but I don't know if anything came of the trial in terms of us wanting to take him on permanently.

I don't think there is anyone in our Academy scholars/Development squad who could come into the first team and play right back to the required standard at the moment. Taylor Jones, who scored last night, and Ben Margetson have been playing right back for the Development side this season, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the club see them more as centre halves rather than full backs if they make the step up to the seniors. Jack Walls, who has played for Liverpool under 23s, has had a trial with City and played at right back in the couple of games he was involved in, but I don't know if anything came of the trial in terms of us wanting to take him on permanently.

Jack Walls went back to Liverpool

City in Nathaniel MG Cup action against Taffs Well today - according to this piece, it looks it will be a Development team that will play in the competition;-

https://clwbpeldroed.org/2020/12/10/...haniel-mg-cup/

Arising from that story, what has happened to Dan Griffiths who looked to be, probably, the best young striker on our books in the past two seasons, but he's not played for us at any level this season - same applies to defender Ryan Reynolds, who I thought was a possible first teamer of the future (Reynolds has had plenty of injury problems since coming here from Everton mind).

Both players are shown as part of our under 23 squad on the club website;-

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/players/716

City in Nathaniel MG Cup action against Taffs Well today - according to this piece, it looks it will be a Development team that will play in the competition;-

Arising from that story, what has happened to Dan Griffiths who looked to be, probably, the best young striker on our books in the past two seasons, but he's not played for us at any level this season - same applies to defender Ryan Reynolds, who I thought was a possible first teamer of the future (Reynolds has had plenty of injury problems since coming here from Everton mind).

Aaron Bolger on that page as well - thought he'd gone back to Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Aaron Bolger on that page as well - thought he'd gone back to Ireland?
    He's been on loan at his old club Shamrock Rovers, but the Irish league was completed in early November it seems with Bolger's team winning it by a distance;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...-premier/table

Dunno if he got injured while he was with them, but there's been no sign of him at City over the past month.

He's been on loan at his old club Shamrock Rovers, but the Irish league was completed in early November it seems with Bolger's team winning it by a distance;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...-premier/table

Dunno if he got injured while he was with them, but there's been no sign of him at City over the past month.
    He's out of contract in the summer as well

Well that's surely as close a town to Cardiff as we will ever play.
    There's a footbridge over the Taff that connects Taff's Well (RCT) with Gwaelod Y Garth (Part of Cardiff). It can't be much more than 20 metres