+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

OMG Xavier Benjamin has been outstanding the first half.
    From his excellent distribution with a defence splitting pin point pass as a highlight to tracking back and cooly denying Watford an open goal after Collins had rounded our keeper only to stroke the ball into the net to score - Benjamin who had ten yards to make up raced past the Watford striker taking the ball from his feet and clearing.
    Breathtaking to see especially his composure
    First team football is surely inevitable for this young man and deservedly so - soon !!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Am I the only one watching this? 0-0 at half time and forget about efforts on target, I don’t think City have had a shot yet. My message to anyone not watching is an ancient comedian’s catchphrase (was it Arthur Askey?) - you lucky people!
    Just turned on for the 2nd half so haven't suffered as yet

My question would be that why aren't Davies and Colwill getting game time to get minutes under their belt or is Colwill still tired after warming up for about an hour on Saturday

PS just saw a shot on target by leahy

Yes there is some other nutcase watching Paul
    So glad I wrapped up for this lol 🥶

More boring rubbish from a Cardiff team - 3-0 down to a Watford team which I believe only had three points going into today’s game.

More boring rubbish from a Cardiff team - 3-0 down to a Watford team which I believe only had three points going into today’s game.
    I watched about 25 minutes of the 2nd half, same as the first team, no urgency , no threat going forward , ponderous passing without any intent of progress and basic errors at the back

Depressing stuff

They'd only scored 5 times in 12 matches before today too!

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    They'd only scored 5 times in 12 matches before today too!
    A genuine question, but did the promotion of Morison to 1st team manager have a bigger impact on our Under 21s than expected ??
    They were top of their league and unbeaten until he moved up!! They declined so quickly in the 2nd half of last season once he moved up and now seem to be really struggling and on a poor run of results .
    A lot on here, me included were hopeful that we had a good batch of youngsters ready to push for 1st team but that doesn't seem to have happened?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    A genuine question, but did the promotion of Morison to 1st team manager have a bigger impact on our Under 21s than expected ??
    They were top of their league and unbeaten until he moved up!! They declined so quickly in the 2nd half of last season once he moved up and now seem to be really struggling and on a poor run of results .
    A lot on here, me included were hopeful that we had a good batch of youngsters ready to push for 1st team but that doesn't seem to have happened?
    It's a very different team, quite have few have been moved on

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It's a very different team, quite have few have been moved on
    I understand that but it started declining last season ....

I understand that but it started declining last season ....
    That was a different team to the one that started the season. Connolly, Zimba, Evans, Hughes, Patten and Sang were all loaned out in January. Isaak Davies promoted to the first team followed by Denham & King

Thanks ... It's frustrating to see Denham being injured for so long and Davies only just coming back. Even more so with Colwill , is he fully fit ? Where should he play ? I really don't know the solution to getting him playing every week !

Thanks ... It's frustrating to see Denham being injured for so long and Davies only just coming back. Even more so with Colwill , is he fully fit ? Where should he play ? I really don't know the solution to getting him playing every week !
    perhaps the experiment with the rugby fitness coach didn't go well with the younger players

In their last league game, the under 21s played really well to beat top of the table Bristol City, who had half of team of pretty regular first teamers, 1-0. A fortnight later, a team not too different from that one were embarrassed by a Watford side which had lost all but one of their league games before yesterday. On Friday, I watched them at Wolves and they wouldn't have scored if they were still playing now, It wasn't quite as bad on the attacking front yesterday, at least the opposition keeper made a couple of saves, but, throw in the first team game on Saturday and there's been three games from Cardiff City in five days where the standard of creativity and finishing has been abysmal. There really seems to be an air of gloom and despondency around the club at the moment and the lack of any lead from the top is only adding to it.

David Ornstein says Biancheri has gone to Man United. Passed a medical over the weekend apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    David Ornstein says Biancheri has gone to Man United. Passed a medical over the weekend apparently.
    that's disappointing, they really need to change the rules on poaching youngsters, it's way too stacked in favour of the biggest clubs

Begs the question of is the academy providing any value whilst at cat 2.

The better ones seem to leave before we can even get much of a fee.

The others that do progress don't seem to be able to get in the side.

I suppose you are still developing players that will have a career somewhere in the pyramid, much like we take on players who may have come through at bigger clubs. Maybe that's the purpose, because it rarely seems to benefit the club much.

Absolute joke, you do wonder what goes through the players head as the pathway to development and first team football at a team like United is a minefield and only one or two in a hundred will make it but then I suppose it hasn’t worked out too bad for Matondo.

Doesn’t seem to be much point in any team at this level having an academy but equally there are success stories out there, Bristol have done well to hang on to Alex Scott. I’m imagine the lack of stability at the club and recent lack of success developing and bringing youth through also plays heavily into the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that's disappointing, they really need to change the rules on poaching youngsters, it's way too stacked in favour of the biggest clubs
    Yeh, good luck with that…

Him and Crewe gone, PL clubs sniffing around others. What's the point investing when they're poached for next to nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Doesn’t seem to be much point in any team at this level having an academy but equally there are success stories out there, Bristol have done well to hang on to Alex Scott. I’m imagine the lack of stability at the club and recent lack of success developing and bringing youth through also plays heavily into the decision.
    I was talking to a Bristol City supporting mate about this issue the other day. Like you say, they've held onto Scott (until now at least), and they've just sold Antoine Semenyo for about £10m. Both of them joined the club as 17 year olds, but they have others who've been with the club since they were 6 or 7 like Tommy Conway (9 goals this season) and Sam Bell (who scored twice as they beat West Brom on Saturday) who they've kept hold of. They don't seem to have the problem we do with losing academy players to the big teams which he thinks is because they have a track record of giving youngsters regular 1st team game time then selling some them to the premier league (Semenyo, Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan) after a few seasons. A good way to start your career and a reason not to jump ship as a 15/16 year old.

That stands to reason. It’s only the last 2 years or so that we’ve been giving any opportunities to our academy players.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    That stands to reason. It’s only the last 2 years or so that we’ve been giving any opportunities to our academy players.
    I don't think they're leaving for first team opportunities... They'll be on seriously good money for 17 year olds, and if they don't make it at Man United, they might fall down to us etc (like Denham and Sang), rather than not making it at us and ending up at a Torquay.

I don't think they're leaving for first team opportunities... They'll be on seriously good money for 17 year olds, and if they don't make it at Man United, they might fall down to us etc (like Denham and Sang), rather than not making it at us and ending up at a Torquay.
    Realistically who's turning them down for us?

There needs to be something more in it for lower league clubs. Perhaps better compensation, automatic sell-on clauses or maybe preferential status if a player gets loaned out in a few years time, otherwise more and more clubs will stop bothering.

What I mean is that compared to Bristol City (and Swansea) we still have a poor reputation for converting academy players to first teamers, so it’s going to affect our ability to retain talent.
    The evidence is out there: they regularly sell home grown players for big fees, we end up losing ours when they are 15 or 16.
    The scalping from big clubs is (as usual) unfair, but those other clubs are in the same situation as us.