+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Will Spiers was excellent at RB - especially as an u18 playing in the u21s.

The club commentators were drooling over him - and rightly so.

Not sure we were really three goals better than them, but to use the term which seems to have taken over from counter attack, we were very good in transition.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Will Spiers was excellent at RB - especially as an u18 playing in the u21s.

The club commentators were drooling over him - and rightly so.
    He was one of most unheralded signings in what was an outstanding intake of scholars. Of the 12, 9 were U16 caps which would have been 10 if Crew had signed. Three were uncapped of which he was one. He and Dan Barton have now also been capped at U18/U19 level. If you had to chose one to make it out of that group he would probably be favourite. Although, the two left footers, Beecher and Giles, should kick on.

Spiers is a big attacking threat and appears to be well above average defensively for a teenage full back. I'm surprised he has been given a pro contract already

Beecher is already in the top five crossers of the ball at the club in my opinion and, although he struggled a little defensively against Blackburn (who didn’t!) he carried that ability into senior football at Ewood Park. Therefore, you’d think he’d be a cert to be quality from dead ball situations, yet he never gets a chance because Giles, who is playing much of his football as a left sided centreback, takes them.

I thought Colwill and Ashford were the class acts yesterday on an afternoon when everyone played pretty well, Crole was good, but I’d say Spiers was next best - he was impeccable defensively and, although he didn’t do a great deal in an attacking sense, he’s shown in the past that he has that in his game.

What’s happened to the goalkeeper Armstrong this season?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Beecher is already in the top five crossers of the ball at the club in my opinion and, although he struggled a little defensively against Blackburn (who didn’t!) he carried that ability into senior football at Ewood Park. Therefore, you’d think he’d be a cert to be quality from dead ball situations, yet he never gets a chance because Giles, who is playing much of his football as a left sided centreback, takes them.

I thought Colwill and Ashford were the class acts yesterday on an afternoon when everyone played pretty well, Crole was good, but I’d say Spiers was next best - he was impeccable defensively and, although he didn’t do a great deal in an attacking sense, he’s shown in the past that he has that in his game.

What’s happened to the goalkeeper Armstrong this season?
    Crole is a throw back, reminds me of Phil Stant. I hope they stay patient with him.

Beecher's play is very similar to that O'Dowda, although as you say his delivery is top notch. When Joe Ralls isn't playing we don't have anybody who can deliver a set piece to the required standard.

Luey Giles can but I'm not sure why he is playing at centre back. Given his height I can't believe it will be his long term position. I think they just want to play both him and Beecher. But I think that Beecher will be an attacking not a defensive player if he makes it in senior football.

Armstrong is first choice for the U18's. He appears to be an above average U18 keeper. The highlights on the club site don't show enough for you to form a better opinion. He looked pretty good for Wales u17's in the summer. I see he's been missing for the last couple of games. Injured?

Funnily enough (particularly when at Wolves) he has always kept Benjamin out of Wales age group teams. Ironically now that Benjamin has gone 'big-time', the Welsh age group selectors have changed their mind. It has always been so.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    Crole is a throw back, reminds me of Phil Stant. I hope they stay patient with him.

Beecher's play is very similar to that O'Dowda, although as you say his delivery is top notch. When Joe Ralls isn't playing we don't have anybody who can deliver a set piece to the required standard.

Luey Giles can but I'm not sure why he is playing at centre back. Given his height I can't believe it will be his long term position. I think they just want to play both him and Beecher. But I think that Beecher will be an attacking not a defensive player if he makes it in senior football.

Armstrong is first choice for the U18's. He appears to be an above average U18 keeper. The highlights on the club site don't show enough for you to form a better opinion. He looked pretty good for Wales u17's in the summer. I see he's been missing for the last couple of games. Injured?

Funnily enough (particularly when at Wolves) he has always kept Benjamin out of Wales age group teams. Ironically now that Benjamin has gone 'big-time', the Welsh age group selectors have changed their mind. It has always been so.
    With his loan spell at Torquay coming to nothing, Crole's career has been standing still for the last year, but he was dominant against a centreback who came on for the wurzels in the the recent derby yesterday - it was the best game I've seen him play for a while.

Think you're right about them wanting to get Giles and Beecher into the same team and I'd say you might well be about Beecher's future.

Armstrong ended up as Wales' number one keeper in the under 17s Euros, but I can't remember seeing him involved at all this season, as you say, he must be injured.

Spiers is a big attacking threat and appears to be well above average defensively for a teenage full back. I'm surprised he has been given a pro contract already
    I assume you mean that you are surprised he hasn't been given a pro contract ?

If he hasn't we need to sign him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I assume you mean that you are surprised he hasn't been given a pro contract ?

If he hasn't we need to sign him up.
    I did. Sorry typo

I did. Sorry typo

I think you are right to be surprised. He seemed to be a very dynamic and positive player and a real prospect.

U18s going well again. 4-1 up at Colchester at half time.

Won 6-1

I see Armstrong, the goalkeeper who was mentioned above, played today.

Not seen the Wales under 21 squad, but I assume the two Colwill’s, King, Ashfird and, perhaps one or two other City players will be starting or on the bench this evening for the game against Iceland at Newport which will, almost certainly, be streamed - kick off is at six.

Not seen the Wales under 21 squad, but I assume the two Colwill’s, King, Ashfird and, perhaps one or two other City players will be starting or on the bench this evening for the game against Iceland at Newport which will, almost certainly, be streamed - kick off is at six.
    King, R.Colwill, Ashford and Tom Davies in the squad - no Joel Colwill this time around. Ex City boys Charlie Crew and Chris Popov also in there

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    King, R.Colwill, Ashford and Tom Davies in the squad - no Joel Colwill this time around. Ex City boys Charlie Crew and Chris Popov also in there
    Thanks, disappointing about Joel Colwill, he was the best player on the pitch in our last under 23 game.

Tom Davies & Rubin Colwill start. Eli King and Cian Ashford on the bench. Game will be streamed live on Sgorio's Youtube

Wales’ passing is hopeless so far.

Joe Low gives Wales the lead - assist byTom Davies.

Joe Low gives Wales the lead - assist byTom Davies.
    Great ball in from Davies

On the passing - I've never been particularly impressed by Oli Hammond in the Welsh midfield, though he plays at a higher level than King I reckon King is the better of the two

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Great ball in from Davies

On the passing - I've never been particularly impressed by Oli Hammond in the Welsh midfield, though he plays at a higher level than King I reckon King is the better of the two
    Think Hammond has got better as the game’s gone on and he’s having more of an influence than Charlie Savage.

Iceland goal controversially disallowed for handball, although my first instinct was to think it was handball when the ball hit the net.

1-0 to Wales at half time, bit lucky for me, but they did get better as the half went on.

Wales down to ten men, don’t think the ref had any choice really than to show Josh Thomas the red card.

Finished 1-0, the best thing about Wales was how they defended when they were down to ten. Eli King came on for the last quarter of an hour or so and Rubin Colwill went off with about ten minutes left.

That’s an excellent result for the U21s, unbeaten in the 4 games so far

As you already know two of the first year scholars (JT & Ronan) were called up to the national side - Wales u17’s
    Their fixtures due to be played in Israel last month were postponed and rearranged for this week in Cardiff
    As Israel forfeited their participation (although the Senior side remain which is questionable) the powers that be arranged a fixture for game time purposes versus Cardiff City’s scholars at the Vale yesterday behind closed doors
    Ironically Cardiff and the boys who were overlooked for Wales selection put on an impressive display and came out 3-1 winners
    Now there’s bragging rights lol
    Wales u17’s now take on Belgium tomorrow afternoon 4pm at Leckwith stadium with free admission on the door
    Good luck to them
    The first and second year scholars however have a trip to play Chelsea u18’s in an arranged friendly at their training ground at Cobham
    It’ll be an interesting couple of days for the scholars all around 🧐⚽️