+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 37 of 162 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787137 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    The wind must be behind Swansea this half, we'll have them in the second.
    No we won't, lost 1-0.

No we won't, lost 1-0.
    Having seen a lot of this group of players down the years, I'm not changing my opinion that they are the most talented bunch we've had at under 18/19 level in a good few seasons, but they do have an annoying habit of losing important matches. The defeat at Hull in the FA youth Cup was a very poor loss when you compare the two sides' records over this season and losing that game at Ipswich on Saturday after scoring first doesn't look good either, now we have this - you can't judge a game completely by the sort of snippets Wales Online were providing last night, but you can get a general idea of how it's going (and Gringo's post at half time backed up what was being said on the website) but, based on that, City can have few complaints about the outcome.

If I were in a position to do so, I would be conducting an inquiry into City's youth development work throughout this decade to try to ascertain the reasons for our virtual failure to produce our own first team footballers - Swansea's almost certain domination of the FAW Youth Cup for a decade is another justification for such an inquiry to be held

The first 15 Swansea could have put the game to bed but since then it's been all Cardiff and Swansea have struggled to get any foothold.

The goal was a bad mistake by the keeper just before half time and I don't know how we'll respond.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Having seen a lot of this group of players down the years, I'm not changing my opinion that they are the most talented bunch we've had at under 18/19 level in a good few seasons, but they do have an annoying habit of losing important matches. The defeat at Hull in the FA youth Cup was a very poor loss when you compare the two sides' records over this season and losing that game at Ipswich on Saturday after scoring first doesn't look good either, now we have this - you can't judge a game completely by the sort of snippets Wales Online were providing last night, but you can get a general idea of how it's going (and Gringo's post at half time backed up what was being said on the website) but, based on that, City can have few complaints about the outcome.

If I were in a position to do so, I would be conducting an inquiry into City's youth development work throughout this decade to try to ascertain the reasons for our virtual failure to produce our own first team footballers - Swansea's almost certain domination of the FAW Youth Cup for a decade is another justification for such an inquiry to be held

I was quite optimistic about the outcome before Swansea got their goal but the second half was really poor to be honest Bob.

I can't remember us creating anything. I also think it's quite worrying that our best players were Bolger and Martin.

Swansea were missing their best midfielder in my opinion in Dan Williams, and though I thought the lad De Boer was poor for them, we never grabbed the game by the balls second half.

I think Spence needs to do more now. He's 18 playing against 18 year olds last night and he needs to impose himself on the game more.

The Academy team play Forest at Leckwith today, kick off 12 o clock - they need a win to help quell the suspicion that they are in the process of "doing a Cardiff".

The Academy team play Forest at Leckwith today, kick off 12 o clock - they need a win to help quell the suspicion that they are in the process of "doing a Cardiff".
    Excellent 3-2 win today, having been behind twice. A rejigged side looked like they were going to struggle against a big and physical Forest team when they went in at half time 2-1 down. Some great play from Isaak Davies led to our goal from a Sion Spence penalty but there wasn't much else to take from the half. However, we turned it around in the second with some good football and goals from our two best players, Davies and Kieron Evans. Siyabonga Ligendza (no, not that Siyabonga Ligendza) did well when he came on to replace Davies and there was some heroic defending at the other end.

I can't be too specific about the second half I'm afraid, I had some old guy yapping in my ear the whole time so it was hard to concentrate.

Excellent 3-2 win today, having been behind twice. A rejigged side looked like they were going to struggle against a big and physical Forest team when they went in at half time 2-1 down. Some great play from Isaak Davies led to our goal from a Sion Spence penalty but there wasn't much else to take from the half. However, we turned it around in the second with some good football and goals from our two best players, Davies and Kieron Evans. Siyabonga Ligendza (no, not that Siyabonga Ligendza) did well when he came on to replace Davies and there was some heroic defending at the other end.

I can't be too specific about the second half I'm afraid, I had some old guy yapping in my ear the whole time so it was hard to concentrate.
    Funny, the exact same thing happened to me yesterday.

Funny, the exact same thing happened to me yesterday.
    Never? That's a shame, sorry to hear it.

Highlights of the Forest match are now on the club website for subscribers - still not convinced about our penalty.

I haven't been able to get there much this season but I bet it's the same old bloke who used to annoy me when I was writing that blog thing under the TOBW nom de plume.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I haven't been able to get there much this season but I bet it's the same old bloke who used to annoy me when I was writing that blog thing under the TOBW nom de plume.
    Nah. it can't be him, he looked an absolute picture of youth and vitality.

1-0 win for the under-23s at Hull tonight, Dan Griffiths with the goal. Aaron Bolger missed a late penalty to wrap it up then Burwood saved a Hull penalty to secure the win. The trialists Wallis and Stedman played for us again tonight.

Five City players in the Wales Under 19 squad to travel to the Netherlands to compete in an Elite Group which includes the host nation, Spain and Slovenia. With only the winners of the group making it to the Finals, the odds must be against Wales qualifying, but, having beaten Sweden to get this far, they've done better than most of their predecessors already.

On a City note, I know it's not really fair to say this, but I find it galling that all five players were in the City team beaten, yet again, by the jacks in the Welsh Youth Cup last week and yet there are only two Swansea players in the squad.

http://www.dai-sport.com/five-young-...s-elite-squad/

Tough match for the Under 18s today at Leeds who are second in the Northern Section - Bowen, Spence and Isaak Davies all missing from the team, so, perhaps, they will start on Monday for the Under 23s.

0-0 after half an hour.

Tough match for the Under 18s today at Leeds who are second in the Northern Section - Bowen, Spence and Isaak Davies all missing from the team, so, perhaps, they will start on Monday for the Under 23s.

0-0 after half an hour.
    Still 0-0 with an hour played.

Make that 1-0 to City - Keiron Evans after 65 minutes.

Still 0-0 with an hour played.

Make that 1-0 to City - Keiron Evans after 65 minutes.
    Finished 2-0 with Keiron Evans getting a second goal - excellent win for City.

Finished 2-0 with Keiron Evans getting a second goal - excellent win for City.
    Excellent win.

Sion Spence has pulled out of the Wales u-19 games with an injury (presumably the one he played through in the last Academy game) which is a shame. Another stop start season for him.

Excellent win.

Sion Spence has pulled out of the Wales u-19 games with an injury (presumably the one he played through in the last Academy game) which is a shame. Another stop start season for him.
    Ryan Reynolds has pulled out as well, I noticed he got subbed on Saturday. He's been replaced by Keenan Patten. First game this evening against the Netherlands.

Ryan Reynolds has pulled out as well, I noticed he got subbed on Saturday. He's been replaced by Keenan Patten. First game this evening against the Netherlands.
    Wales were beaten 2-1 by a goal scored in the second minute of added time at the end of the match. George Ratcliffe played in goal for Wales and Dan Griffiths started as well.

Wales' second game in the group, against Spain, kicks off at midday I believe.

The Under 23s are at home to Crewe on Monday at Leckwith, kick off 1 o clock;-

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...ewe-alexandra/

A 5-1 hammering for Wales Under 19s against Spain I'm afraid - George Ratcliffe was in goal and Sam Bowen started in midfield.

Good to see that James Waite was called up for the Wales under-21 training camp this week even though he subsequently had to pull out with injury.

A DVP game with Crewe at Leckwith today, 2.00 kick off I believe.

Good to see that James Waite was called up for the Wales under-21 training camp this week even though he subsequently had to pull out with injury.

A DVP game with Crewe at Leckwith today, 2.00 kick off I believe.
    Thanks for that mention of the 2 o clock kick off because I would have turned up at 1 o clock, which was the kick off time advertised by the club website in the days leading up to the game - annoying from a personal point of view because a four o clock finish will add another half an hour or so to my journey home, but, as it's likely to be the last Under 23 match I watch this season, I should make the effort to go.

Thanks for that mention of the 2 o clock kick off because I would have turned up at 1 o clock, which was the kick off time advertised by the club website in the days leading up to the game - annoying from a personal point of view because a four o clock finish will add another half an hour or so to my journey home, but, as it's likely to be the last Under 23 match I watch this season, I should make the effort to go.
    Love to be there TOBW but I am slumming it in the Cotswolds for my wife's birthday. Hope the weather is as nice for the game as it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Love to be there TOBW but I am slumming it in the Cotswolds for my wife's birthday. Hope the weather is as nice for the game as it is here.
    You didn't miss anything Clive. Crewe scored three times in the first ten minutes and a City side that had Lawrence Wootton sent off couldn't respond except for a O'Keefe penalty - there was a definite end of season feeling as both sides struggled through a non event of a second half.

Apart from Connolly (who went off injured in the first half) and O'Keefe it was a very young City side and I'm afraid that none of the Academy players on show really responded to the opportunity they were given to play at a higher level.