+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 41 of 162 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 4212

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Time will tell on this one. I'm no expert on Spence, he certainly was being seen as a future star not long ago but I think injury problems have stalled his progress as much as the internal politics here. I saw him playing for the DVP side in January 2017, just turned 16. He came on at the start of the second half that game and we scored the 40 pass goal from the kick off. Him and James Waite ran central midfield by themselves, it was all possession based stuff back then, they made it look easy.

Spence moved forward in the following season and scored a lot of goals for the Academy. I know TOBW was very frustrated that he wasn't playing DVP stuff any more, this seemed to be down to a Bellamy led policy of keeping the Academy together although there was a poster on here who was suggesting that Spence had an injury problem that was holding him back.

An injury on international duty early last season led to a disrupted season for him, mainly at Academy level again. He scored some good goals but never really imposed himself. Even the games where he managed to get ninety minutes in he seemed to be cramping up by the end.

Personally, I'm happy to see any of our youngsters going out on loan rather than waste a season in the seemingly rudderless under-23 set up. Spence is still only 18, a run of first team games should be good experience for him and, if he can stay injury free, I'd like to think he'll be challenging for a first team squad place here next season. Unless Warnock stays on, of course.
    While I agree that loaning youngsters out rather than having them stagnate, like so many others have done in the Under 23s, is a good idea in theory, it would be nice to see examples where playing first team football elsewhere has aided in the progress of a youngster into our senior side because without that, it's as broad as it's long as far as staying with the Development team or being loaned out goes - either way, you're not going to get into our first team.

As far as Sion Spence, and our other youngsters loaned to Welsh Premier League clubs, goes, I think a lot depends on what sort of standard that league is compared to the English pyramid structure. I'd say that we have a few in last season's title winning Academy side who are good enough to play whatever the Conference is called these days standard football. Judging by the little I see of the Welsh Premier League and the record of its clubs in Europe and that competition they play with Scottish and Irish clubs, my guess would be that standards are similar with the top clubs, but some way below that level with the majority of them.

Several of those loaned out this season, including Spence, are still young enough to play in the Academy team's league this season, but I feel they have moved on from that level now and so, I'd say playing first team football against men elsewhere is a preferable option, but, given what our Development team has become in recent years, playing for them when they return to City would be something of a downward step.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    While I agree that loaning youngsters out rather than having them stagnate, like so many others have done in the Under 23s, is a good idea in theory, it would be nice to see examples where playing first team football elsewhere has aided in the progress of a youngster into our senior side because without that, it's as broad as it's long as far as staying with the Development team or being loaned out goes - either way, you're not going to get into our first team.

As far as Sion Spence, and our other youngsters loaned to Welsh Premier League clubs, goes, I think a lot depends on what sort of standard that league is compared to the English pyramid structure. I'd say that we have a few in last season's title winning Academy side who are good enough to play whatever the Conference is called these days standard football. Judging by the little I see of the Welsh Premier League and the record of its clubs in Europe and that competition they play with Scottish and Irish clubs, my guess would be that standards are similar with the top clubs, but some way below that level with the majority of them.

Several of those loaned out this season, including Spence, are still young enough to play in the Academy team's league this season, but I feel they have moved on from that level now and so, I'd say playing first team football against men elsewhere is a preferable option, but, given what our Development team has become in recent years, playing for them when they return to City would be something of a downward step.
    I'd say Joe Ralls benefited from his loan spell at Yeovil, Kadeem Harris and Rhys Healey only appeared for the first team after loan spells. We'll never know how Oshilaja and Ajayi would've progressed here if they'd been given a chance after successful loan spells, both Championship players now.

I'm clutching at straws there, I know, but I'd say that the chances are better after some time away from our increasingly futile under-23s. Saying that, if Bolger or Coxe can progress from there it would surely give a huge boost to the whole youth section, and some meaning to under-23 games.

Good to hear bolgwr is playing well, it would be nice to bring one or two players into the first team squad this season, as it has been a while!

An earlier than normal start for the Academy team today, their game with Leeds at Leckwith kicks off at 10.30.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...s-leeds-united

An earlier than normal start for the Academy team today, their game with Leeds at Leckwith kicks off at 10.30.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...s-leeds-united
    And what an excellent game it was, City running out 3-1 winners. With a number of lads moving up from last year's set up, it's a new look, young team this. Apart from a brief spell in the first half when Leeds equalised and were then denied a lead by Jamie Cogman, City were on top and played some terrific football (not sure this will catch on here, by the way). Some good passing out from the back, patient build-ups mixed with quick counter-attacks, opening Leeds up through the middle and stretching them out wide too.

A very competitive game but we stood up to a strong Leeds side. The two centre-halves, Joshua Rippon and Taylor Jones (who were both playing under-15s last year) didn't give an inch and Tom Chiabi and Isaak Davies got themselves involved in a kerfuffle or two. Hard to pick a man of the match, Chiabi and Harry Pinchard dominated central midfield, Sam Parsons made a number of great runs up the left wing from full back, Kieron Evans and Davies were very sharp going forward. The last two scored a goal each, Siyabonga Ligendza got the first.

Some sympathy for Owen Pritchard who got given a hard time by Niklas Haugland and was taken off at half time. Haugland looks a real prospect and scored a great goal for Leeds, cutting in and burying his shot after bringing a cross field ball down in his stride. It showed the threat Leeds carried, all the more credit to City for the well deserved win.

I know this has been covered in the Etheridge thread but City under-23s won 3-2 at Sheffield Wednesday today. Vassell, Nelson and Madine all started as well as Etheridge. Coxe, Waite, Bolger and d'Almeida in there too so it was a strong team. A match report here, with line-up.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...3-cardiff-city

A 3-2 win for the under-18s at Crystal Palace today having been 2-0 down early in the second half. Goals for Pinchard, Colwill and Mayembe.

A brief report here on how our young lads have been doing out on loan lately, including a link to Dan Griffiths' emphatic finish for Penybont on Saturday.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...ademy-23092019

A good write-up on the Academy's win at the weekend too. A nice free-kick from Rubin Colwill among the highlights.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...3-cardiff-city

City's Under 18s are at home to a Charlton side with a fine record this season this lunchtime at Leckwith - kicks off at 12.30 if anyone is interested.

City's Under 18s are at home to a Charlton side with a fine record this season this lunchtime at Leckwith - kicks off at 12.30 if anyone is interested.
    Game kicks off 1:15pm Bob

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Game kicks off 1:15pm Bob
    As I found out when I got there! City lost 2-1.

5 City players in the u17s Welsh squad.

https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/cymru-squad-announced-u17euro-qualifying-round/

A very young Academy side is currently getting tonked 3-0 at Millwall.

DVP game tonight v Crystal Palace live on the official website. 7pm kick off.

http://cardiffcityfc.co.uk/video/live

3-0 Wootton, Bamba and Nelson.

A few points:
    We have another in our legion of long throwers - Ciaron Brown. Not sure if he's ready for the first team though - looks like a bit cumbersome somehow.

There were a good number of times when players would try and wriggle away from a foul and play on rather than immediately going to ground - they'll never succeed with that attitude.

As has been mentioned before the teams below the seniors are always looking to pass. Bamba looked the most uncomfortable on the ball. Despite this we scored from two set-pieces.

There have been a few players over the years who have been shunted around the field in a futile attempt to find a place for them; Cameron Coxe tonight played left wing. Hopefully this was just to accommodate other players but I'm not sure what the future is for him here.

I hope Laurence Wootton's family was there to see his goal tonight - would've been a nice moment for the Wootton clan. (This whole post was brought to you in order to make that pun. Thank you).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    3-0 Wootton, Bamba and Nelson.

A few points:
    We have another in our legion of long throwers - Ciaron Brown. Not sure if he's ready for the first team though - looks like a bit cumbersome somehow.

There were a good number of times when players would try and wriggle away from a foul and play on rather than immediately going to ground - they'll never succeed with that attitude.

As has been mentioned before the teams below the seniors are always looking to pass. Bamba looked the most uncomfortable on the ball. Despite this we scored from two set-pieces.

There have been a few players over the years who have been shunted around the field in a futile attempt to find a place for them; Cameron Coxe tonight played left wing. Hopefully this was just to accommodate other players but I'm not sure what the future is for him here.

I hope Laurence Wootton's family was there to see his goal tonight - would've been a nice moment for the Wootton clan. (This whole post was brought to you in order to make that pun. Thank you).
    Thanks for that (not the pun). I watched the match online and thought we were always pretty comfortable, as we should have been given the selection of both teams. The thought occurs to me that you could, conceivably, see that back four playing for the first team on Saturday. I agree that Brown looks more impressive as a centreback than a left back, but, given the way our manager thinks, I wonder if he is currently second choice to Bennett? Realistically, I reckon we'll see the same back four as Sunday against Birmingham, but I do wonder if Nelson might just make it in (I suppose Morrison's hand injuries could give Neil Warnock an excuse for making a change if he doesn't want to say he is dropping anyone)?

I'm not as concerned about Coxe playing left wing as you are because I see it as proof he would be at home in a wing back/modern full back role, but I feel he'll probably have to wait for a new managerial appointment if this is going to benefit him in first team terms at Cardiff.

Thanks for that (not the pun). I watched the match online and thought we were always pretty comfortable, as we should have been given the selection of both teams. The thought occurs to me that you could, conceivably, see that back four playing for the first team on Saturday. I agree that Brown looks more impressive as a centreback than a left back, but, given the way our manager thinks, I wonder if he is currently second choice to Bennett? Realistically, I reckon we'll see the same back four as Sunday against Birmingham, but I do wonder if Nelson might just make it in (I suppose Morrison's hand injuries could give Neil Warnock an excuse for making a change if he doesn't want to say he is dropping anyone)?

I'm not as concerned about Coxe playing left wing as you are because I see it as proof he would be at home in a wing back/modern full back role, but I feel he'll probably have to wait for a new managerial appointment if this is going to benefit him in first team terms at Cardiff.
    In an interview just after Ciaron Brown was called up to the Northern Ireland squad I'm sure Warnock said he was (after Cunningham left on loan) regarded as the back up to Bennett. I hope he comes good, but as of now he is a very inexperienced converted centre back and surely putting no pressure on Bennett for his place.

Another City v Birmingham match at 1 o clock today when the sides meet at Under 23 level at Leckwith - entry is free, but the game can be watched on the club website if you cannot make it.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...irmingham-city

Blog piece on yesterday's 1-0 defeat for the Development team in which I ask could Birmingham's change of identity work at Cardiff?

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Blog piece on yesterday's 1-0 defeat for the Development team in which I ask could Birmingham's change of identity work at Cardiff?

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Here is a little montage of the kid Jude Bellingham's journey through the academy to the first team. He made his first team debut at 16 years 38 days.

https://youtu.be/bdv87H8EZgY

A return for this thread to report a good 1-1 draw for the Under 23s with a young City side that only included Ciaron Brown with any competitive first team experience at league leaders Watford - they were pegged back by a late equaliser after leading for a long time with an early Aaron Bolger goal.

A return for this thread to report a good 1-1 draw for the Under 23s with a young City side that only included Ciaron Brown with any competitive first team experience at league leaders Watford - they were pegged back by a late equaliser after leading for a long time with an early Aaron Bolger goal.
    How is Aaron Bolger progressing? Is he a Joe Ralls type of player?

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    How is Aaron Bolger progressing? Is he a Joe Ralls type of player?
    He's been injured quite a bit this season, so he hasn't played too many matches for the Under 23s. I think he is quite Joe Ralls like in that it looks like he can do a bit of everything - he's probably best as a holding type midfielder, but he has been used in more advanced positions at times.

He's been injured quite a bit this season, so he hasn't played too many matches for the Under 23s. I think he is quite Joe Ralls like in that it looks like he can do a bit of everything - he's probably best as a holding type midfielder, but he has been used in more advanced positions at times.
    I've noticed he's captained the team also.
    Quite a number of Irish fans are tracking his progress.