+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 85 of 167 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495135 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 4163

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Finished 1-1.

This was interesting he'd be what, 15/16?

I made it down for the second half today and it was a pretty interesting 45 minutes. Very much the proverbial game of two halves, or half of two quarters in this case, as we were taking a hiding to start with but came back into it with a Cian Ashford led revival.

I haven't seen much youth stuff lately so I'm not sure what formation the Academy have been playing but it was four at the back today with a midfielder sitting just in front which I believe is what the under-23s did on Tuesday. Whether there's a significance to this for the first team we'll see tomorrow but it didn't seem to be working too well initially as the mishmash of central midfielders, number tens and a striker struggled to string anything together on the rare occasions we got the ball.

It was only a matter of time before Bristol City scored and when they did it came from us messing up as we tried to play out of defence. Heads dropped and it didn't look like there was any way back but Ashford, who hadn't seemed totally engaged in the process up till then, came alive and after some neat link-up play won a penalty which he confidently converted.

We could easily have gone on to win it then. Ashford set up Nyakuwha, who'd just appeared from the under-16s game as City123 pointed out, for a great chance but the keeper saved it with his legs. Ashford himself got behind the defence after a nice return ball from Hughes but was flagged offside which angered him and looked like a poor decision from where I was sitting (80 yards behind play and on the other side of the pitch). We were playing some good stuff now and Ashford was at the heart of most of it, he looks to have bags of talent and a good footballing brain. I would've expected him to be playing more under-23 games by now, not sure what's happened there.

To be fair, Bristol did rally at the end and created some good chances themselves but a draw was about fair from what I'd seen. The system looked like work in progress, confidence didn't seem too high and only some great blocks and last ditch defending had kept us in the game when we were under pressure but there was enough there to offer some encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I made it down for the second half today and it was a pretty interesting 45 minutes. Very much the proverbial game of two halves, or half of two quarters in this case, as we were taking a hiding to start with but came back into it with a Cian Ashford led revival.

I haven't seen much youth stuff lately so I'm not sure what formation the Academy have been playing but it was four at the back today with a midfielder sitting just in front which I believe is what the under-23s did on Tuesday. Whether there's a significance to this for the first team we'll see tomorrow but it didn't seem to be working too well initially as the mishmash of central midfielders, number tens and a striker struggled to string anything together on the rare occasions we got the ball.

It was only a matter of time before Bristol City scored and when they did it came from us messing up as we tried to play out of defence. Heads dropped and it didn't look like there was any way back but Ashford, who hadn't seemed totally engaged in the process up till then, came alive and after some neat link-up play won a penalty which he confidently converted.

We could easily have gone on to win it then. Ashford set up Nyakuwha, who'd just appeared from the under-16s game as City123 pointed out, for a great chance but the keeper saved it with his legs. Ashford himself got behind the defence after a nice return ball from Hughes but was flagged offside which angered him and looked like a poor decision from where I was sitting (80 yards behind play and on the other side of the pitch). We were playing some good stuff now and Ashford was at the heart of most of it, he looks to have bags of talent and a good footballing brain. I would've expected him to be playing more under-23 games by now, not sure what's happened there.

To be fair, Bristol did rally at the end and created some good chances themselves but a draw was about fair from what I'd seen. The system looked like work in progress, confidence didn't seem too high and only some great blocks and last ditch defending had kept us in the game when we were under pressure but there was enough there to offer some encouragement.
    Thanks for that Loramski, I only came across it just now. It’s coming up to two years now to the last time I saw the Academy side play in the flesh and I mean to get along to one or two matches before the end of the season, but I’ve been saying that since August!

On Ashton, I’m surprised at how little Under 23 football he’s played because he’s big enough not to struggle physically and it was hardly as if he was looking out of his depth when he did play for them.

Yet another game with the wurzels tomorrow when the Under 23s play their away match that was cancelled earlier in the season - I seem to remember that match was due to be streamed on Bristol’s website, so it might be worth checking to see if it’ll be the same tomorrow lunchtime.

Caleb Hughes has gone to Haverfordwest on loan

Today’s Under 23 match at Bristol City is being streamed free on their website, you need to create an account to watch it, but it’s a straightforward process- kick off is a one o clock.

Looks like they've dropped the back 4, a start for Crole and Ashford's back on the bench. Bowen and Colwill start

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Looks like they've dropped the back 4, a start for Crole and Ashford's back on the bench. Bowen and Colwill start
    looks a strong line up, and glad they've dropped the back 4 after the Swansea game.
    hopefully Semenyo and Tom Davies can show the type of attacking intent that we are looking for from the wing backs in the first team, maybe one can be considered for a back up first team role next season. Semenyo in particular looks quick.

looking forward to seeing Bakare as well, as well as Bowen and Colwill

2-0 to the wurzels already, they have Nahki Wells and Danny Simpsonin in their side and the first goal came from a free kick from a bit of a homer decision by the ref, but our defence were doing an impression of the first team - didn’t see the second goal.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    2-0 to the wurzels already, they have Nahki Wells and Danny Simpsonin in their side and the first goal came from a free kick from a bit of a homer decision by the ref, but our defence were doing an impression of the first team - didn’t see the second goal.
    I'm struggling with the sign UK process for their website, don't think I'll bother now

Danny Simpson, the Premier League winning full-back. Blimey, how the mighty have fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Danny Simpson, the Premier League winning full-back. Blimey, how the mighty have fallen.
    he'd even be too old for an U33s side.

how are we playing, anyone who has gotten the stream to work,?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he'd even be too old for an U33s side.

how are we playing, anyone who has gotten the stream to work,?
    Settled after an awful start, some decent possession but most of the attacking threat is coming from Bristol City.

Into added time now, Bristol have had a strong wind behind them and that could have something to do with their superiority, but we’ve not threatened them at all so far.

apparently it is 3-2 to Bristol now, Colwill free kick and Bakare with our goals.
    nahki wells with 2 for them

Stoke revisited! City, 3-0 down going into the last twenty minutes draw 3-3!

Great comeback!

Cian Ashford with the goal. Lovely stuff.

I missed the third quarter of the game because I had a doctor’s appointment and when I got back, we 3-0 down with all our subs on. Rubin Colwill, who was much better here after struggling last week, got one back with a clever free kick from twenty yards drilled in low to avoid the effects of a wind which made it easy for us to get corners and attacking throw ins. Within five minutes the wurzels keeper missed a Tom Davies corner which hit the far post and bounced out for Bakare to stab in from six yards, but City then lost their way a bit as they wasted a couple of very dangerous free kicks through poor deliveries. However, it was hard to get dead ball delivery right with a gale behind you, but, by the same token, they became twice as difficult to deal with when you did and that’s what happened in added time when Cian Ashford’s corner flew over everyone and went straight in to rescue a great point for City against their closest rivals at the top of the table.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackityJones View Post
    Cian Ashford with the goal. Lovely stuff.
    Hopefully he gets a proper run in the u23s, didn't we turn down bids from Leeds and Man United for him?

Hopefully he gets a proper run in the u23s, didn't we turn down bids from Leeds and Man United for him?
    A bid from Leeds and I think it was “interest” from Man United.

A bid from Leeds and I think it was “interest” from Man United.
    What do you think of him? I've not seen much of him though I've seen lots of talk about his potential, I'd have thought he'd be a more regular sight in the u23 squad considering his cameos at the start of the season

What do you think of him? I've not seen much of him though I've seen lots of talk about his potential, I'd have thought he'd be a more regular sight in the u23 squad considering his cameos at the start of the season
    I don't see hardly anything of the Under 18s any more, so I don't know much more than you really. I thought he did well for the Under 23s in August and September and, like you, was surprised to see him consigned back to the Academy team after the under 23 side management had made a lot of him stepping into the under 23 side at just 16. He was also the stand out player for me in what was a disappointing Youth Cup defeat by Watford back in December - to be honest, he didn't do a great deal today when I was watching the game and was one of the players to waste an earlier free kick in a promising position.

The goals are all on here now (scroll down until you get to the Academy videos) https://robinstv.bcfc.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    The goals are all on here now (scroll down until you get to the Academy videos) https://robinstv.bcfc.co.uk/