+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock's simple plan.

Warnock's simple plan.

How did Warnock turn our players into good players tonight, having had just one week to try to do it?

His plan seems to be simple. When you get the ball, go forward if you can.

How many times was the ball passed between our back four tonight? I don't think it was. So we were on the front foot and even when defending against a good side we were trying to be on the front foot.

There's obviously a great more to it than this, but Warnock's plan is easily understood. He puts round pegs into round holes. Gunarsson was outstanding tonight because he knew exactly what he was supposed to do. Ralls had his best game this season because he knew his role. Noone looked like a man reborn.

And how, as someone asked in the pub, has he made them all fit?

Great stuff, and more to come.

Re: Warnock's simple plan.

I've wanted Warnock down here for 10 years as I could see the 'fit'. I love listening to the man - in fact the only downside to him managing us for me, is he was the one thing worth listening to on the morning Talkshyte show.

Is his success possibly down to the fact that he's a dying breed in all professions these days? As in it takes people to make people perform, and never algorithms, stats or analysis?

From what I've heard and seen of Warnock, he will look a player in the eye, as an equal, and discuss how best to go about getting what he wants from said person. Not a spreadsheet emailed to a human on a Monday morning detailing statistically where he's going wrong.

The game* is losing real people, and to me Warnock is almost the last of them. Whilst that's incredibly sad, we're blessed to have him here.

*Not just football - I saw this in business 20 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    I've wanted Warnock down here for 10 years as I could see the 'fit'. I love listening to the man - in fact the only downside to him managing us for me, is he was the one thing worth listening to on the morning Talkshyte show.

Is his success possibly down to the fact that he's a dying breed in all professions these days? As in it takes people to make people perform, and never algorithms, stats or analysis?

From what I've heard and seen of Warnock, he will look a player in the eye, as an equal, and discuss how best to go about getting what he wants from said person. Not a spreadsheet emailed to a human on a Monday morning detailing statistically where he's going wrong.

The game* is losing real people, and to me Warnock is almost the last of them. Whilst that's incredibly sad, we're blessed to have him here.

*Not just football - I saw this in business 20 years ago

Absolutely spot on - great post!!

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    How did Warnock turn our players into good players tonight, having had just one week to try to do it?

His plan seems to be simple. When you get the ball, go forward if you can.

How many times was the ball passed between our back four tonight? I don't think it was. So we were on the front foot and even when defending against a good side we were trying to be on the front foot.

There's obviously a great more to it than this, but Warnock's plan is easily understood. He puts round pegs into round holes. Gunarsson was outstanding tonight because he knew exactly what he was supposed to do. Ralls had his best game this season because he knew his role. Noone looked like a man reborn.

And how, as someone asked in the pub, has he made them all fit?

Great stuff, and more to come.

It's not all about keeping possession.

Under Trollope we dominated possession but could not score or not defend so we got beat. Week after week. That had such a detrimental affect you could see the players were fearful of everything.

Then last night players working like trojans, everyone putting a shift in. It was so refreshing and the outcome was what I had hoped it would be but was scared to believe it would actually be like that.

Last night Cardiff 40% possession Bristol 60%. Result Cardiff 2 - 1 Bristol.

It's what you do with it and in a results driven business the final score is the most important stat.

Sol Bamba looks like he could be a strong signing and Hoilett showed glimpses yesterday as well. We will wait to see if Chamakh and Richardson are worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Sol Bamba looks like he could be a strong signing and Hoilett showed glimpses yesterday as well. We will wait to see if Chamakh and Richardson are worth it
    Bamba became an instant hero. And what a goal. He volleyed a ball in that was six feet off the ground.

bambagoal.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Bamba became an instant hero. And what a goal. He volleyed a ball in that was six feet off the ground.

bambagoal.jpg
    Watched the rerun on the box last night , his reaction was superb to the loose ball when it broke . A centre forwards reaction .

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    It's not all about keeping possession.

Under Trollope we dominated possession but could not score or not defend so we got beat. Week after week. That had such a detrimental affect you could see the players were fearful of everything.

Then last night players working like trojans, everyone putting a shift in. It was so refreshing and the outcome was what I had hoped it would be but was scared to believe it would actually be like that.

Last night Cardiff 40% possession Bristol 60%. Result Cardiff 2 - 1 Bristol.

It's what you do with it and in a results driven business the final score is the most important stat.
    Do you think the Cardiff way is more Malky and Warnock than what Trollope tried to achieve and Bournemouth currently do?

A key difference for me was the pace we played at, both in attack & defence. In the first half I was concerned that we might run out of steam, particularly as Bamba, Hoilet & Bennett have had little or no time playing competitively this season. Credit to the players for digging deep & putting a big shift in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    A key difference for me was the pace we played at, both in attack & defence. In the first half I was concerned that we might run out of steam, particularly as Bamba, Hoilet & Bennett have had little or no time playing competitively this season. Credit to the players for digging deep & putting a big shift in.
    I was concerned about running out of steam and there is no way we could keep up the intensity.

However the wurzels played right into our hands and brought on Wilbraham who is garbage and went more direct. They didnt fancy the physical battle and didnt stick to passing the ball. They created next to nothing. The battle was won 1st half.