+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bank of England Governor may resign next week

Bank of England Governor may resign next week

Mark Carney could quit his Bank of England role within DAYS after his 'Project Fear' predictions were repeatedly proven wrong: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rnor-DAYS.html

Is he sulking after doing his best to sway people to stay in the EU with a series of doom-mongering predictions prior to the referendum, or does he think HMS Britannia is heading for a financial iceberg?

Re: Bank of England Governor may resign next week

Sacked more like, he was Osborne's poodle

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    After making those predictions it's hard to see him carry on. What he should have said - is that it 'may' lead to a recession, it might cause the sky to fall in. In reality - if anything is to happen it will be 6 months down the line.

However - there are 14 countries wanting to start trading with the UK post Brexit and the UK economy certainly looks to be in a good place. For the life of me - I dont know why - but I ended up watching an economics debate last night.

Anyway they talked as if Carney is a goner and Jacob Rees Mogg maybe appointed instead, presume he would have to stand down from being an MP though.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36273448

"Brexit vote may spark recession, Mark Carney warns"

After making those predictions it's hard to see him carry on. What he should have said - is that it 'may' lead to a recession, it might cause the sky to fall in. In reality - if anything is to happen it will be 6 months down the line.

However - there are 14 countries wanting to start trading with the UK post Brexit and the UK economy certainly looks to be in a good place. For the life of me - I dont know why - but I ended up watching an economics debate last night.

Anyway they talked as if Carney is a goner and Jacob Rees Mogg maybe appointed instead, presume he would have to stand down from being an MP though.
    That's quite funny. I can remember his sister Annunziata standing in Aberavon for the Conservatives. As the scion of a rich and influential family she was rejected by the mainly council tenant electorate. They now have Stephen Kinnock who is, of course, from very humble stock. It is just an accident of circumstance that his wife was Prime Minister of Denmark and his parents multi-millionaire members of the euro political elite.

Strange to see Daniel Hannan say this "I am sorry to say this - he seems a nice enough fellow - but Mark Carney should indeed resign. He politicised his office inexcusably." only for Jacob Rees Mogg to be placed into the position.

Mark Carney took decisive steps following Brexit which may have secured our economy, certainly better than the MP's who are still looking at each other without a firm plan.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Strange to see Daniel Hannan say this "I am sorry to say this - he seems a nice enough fellow - but Mark Carney should indeed resign. He politicised his office inexcusably." only for Jacob Rees Mogg to be placed into the position.

Mark Carney took decisive steps following Brexit which may have secured our economy, certainly better than the MP's who are still looking at each other without a firm plan.
    You don't think they have a plan? The plan kicked in immediately with Cameron's resignation and the shenanigans with Gove and Johnson, or do you think that was all a coincidence

The Financial Times reported today (from behind its paywall) that 'the BoE declined on Sunday to dismiss speculation that the governor might announce his decision this week alongside the quarterly inflation report.'

It'll be interesting to see how the pound performs in a few hours time when the foreign exchange markets open.

Instead of resigning, Carney's announced he's going to extend his contract for an extra year. The pound's up half a percent versus the euro and US dollar today.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Instead of resigning, Carney's announced he's going to extend his contract for an extra year. The pound's up half a percent versus the euro and US dollar today.
    great news ,need a steady hand on the tiller ,choppy times are coming

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    great news ,need a steady hand on the tiller ,choppy times are coming
    (Sorry, random I know)
    Totally unrelated to this thread, have you seen the film (The Prestige) where David Bowie plays the part of Nikola Tesla?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Mark Carney could quit his Bank of England role within DAYS after his 'Project Fear' predictions were repeatedly proven wrong: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rnor-DAYS.html

Is he sulking after doing his best to sway people to stay in the EU with a series of doom-mongering predictions prior to the referendum, or does he think HMS Britannia is heading for a financial iceberg?

Hard for his predictions to be proven right or wrong yet TBF.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b00e5804f19126

Amazingly, the economy is continuing as if we were still at present a member of the European Union and able to trade tariff-free across the 27 member states”.

It then points out with devastating bluntness that, “This is because until Theresa May invokes Article 50, we are still at present a member of the European Union and able to trade tariff-free across the 27 member states”.

Or, in more technical terms, Brexit hasn’t happened yet and “the shit hasn’t hit the fan”.

Quote Originally Posted by cityviking View Post

Amazingly, the economy is continuing as if we were still at present a member of the European Union and able to trade tariff-free across the 27 member states”.

It then points out with devastating bluntness that, “This is because until Theresa May invokes Article 50, we are still at present a member of the European Union and able to trade tariff-free across the 27 member states”.

Or, in more technical terms, Brexit hasn’t happened yet and “the shit hasn’t hit the fan”.
    Precisely.

At present we don't know the terms or even broad details of any potential withdrawal from the EU. We can't even say with 100% certainty that it will happen. Until such a point that it happens and fine details are released/leaked, the only thing to do is carry on as normal. Sure, businesses etc will be looking at safeguards and planning for a number of different eventualities, but they can't do anything until Article 50 is revoked and what form of withdrawal takes place, if it does.

Pressure seems to have been coming from the far right of the Tory party on Carney, for 2 reasons.

He spoke out against brexit when they feel that it was not his place.

He has kept interest rates really low (for the good of 90% of the population), this annoys many in the Tory party as they have been missing out on interest in their savings and various funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    (Sorry, random I know)
    Totally unrelated to this thread, have you seen the film (The Prestige) where David Bowie plays the part of Nikola Tesla?
    No I haven't , its a bit of an odd film I believe, loads of big stars in it though , never really though he was that good an actor, felt he was cast as he was odd looking and strange sounding ,for off the wall parts ?

Quote Originally Posted by cityviking View Post

you got it in one , brexit folk are beging to moan about prices , euros abroad, yawn ,

Blog Entries

No I haven't , its a bit of an odd film I believe, loads of big stars in it though , never really though he was that good an actor, felt he was cast as he was odd looking and strange sounding ,for off the wall parts ?
    I came across it mentioned last night when I was reading about Tesla, like you say some quite big names in it, I was surprised I hadn't heard of it before, Tesla was meant to be a bit of an odd character anyway so it might suit him, I might watch it on the weekend just to see what it's like, thanks anyway.

(Sorry for the disturbance Organ, as you were. )

I came across it mentioned last night when I was reading about Tesla, like you say some quite big names in it, I was surprised I hadn't heard of it before, Tesla was meant to be a bit of an odd character anyway so it might suit him, I might watch it on the weekend just to see what it's like, thanks anyway.

you got me interested now so will have a look myself,it didn't get much publicity

Not to go all Taunton Blue, but I've been to the Tesla museum in belgrade and it's very interesting.

Prestige is a good fulm but must be honest, I was getting a bit confused by the end. You'll see why.

Just to add, there is not much tesla/bowie in the film. So don't get disappointed.

Blog Entries

you got me interested now so will have a look myself,it didn't get much publicity
    Most films are over hyped anyway so that might not be a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Not to go all Taunton Blue, but I've been to the Tesla museum in belgrade and it's very interesting.

Prestige is a good fulm but must be honest, I was getting a bit confused by the end. You'll see why.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Just to add, there is not much tesla/bowie in the film. So don't get disappointed.
    Ahh, that was my main interest really we saw an advert last night for a car with wireless phone charging which Steve didn't know was possible so I starting looking for info on it for him, I have read quite a few stories about his work being suppressed on conspiracy sites but I don't know how true they are, if there is a museum about him I'm guessing it can't all have been, was reading this last night..

https://www.damninteresting.com/teslas-tower-of-power/

(Sorry again Organ )

Blue in the Face

I really don't like the film The Prestige, but I do have a vendetta for the filmmaker Christopher Nolan who I think is a patronising and ego driven director, albeit very very talented. The film suffers from Nolan's achilles heel which is his necessity to get one over on his audience and load the story with twists and ex-machinas. The end result for me is you come out of (some of) his films feeling like the characters aren't real and only there to prop up the hyper active plots. So I never feel there's enough substance. I do like The Dark Knight though!

The Tesla element in The Prestige is interesting and it plays on the mythical element of his character very well. Unfortunately the film doesn't have room to give you anything of his story though. He really deserves a full on biopic in his own right. There's lots of conspiratorial elements to the Tesla story in real life. It seems he was messed over and ripped off by very powerful people. The end of his life is a tragic too. He died, bankrupt and possibly down trodden and crazy....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I really don't like the film The Prestige, but I do have a vendetta for the filmmaker Christopher Nolan who I think is a patronising and ego driven director, albeit very very talented. The film suffers from Nolan's achilles heel which is his necessity to get one over on his audience and load the story with twists and ex-machinas. The end result for me is you come out of (some of) his films feeling like the characters aren't real and only there to prop up the hyper active plots. So I never feel there's enough substance. I do like The Dark Knight though!

The Tesla element in The Prestige is interesting and it plays on the mythical element of his character very well. Unfortunately the film doesn't have room to give you anything of his story though. He really deserves a full on biopic in his own right. There's lots of conspiratorial elements to the Tesla story in real life. It seems he was messed over and ripped off by very powerful people. The end of his life is a tragic too. He died, bankrupt and possibly down trodden and crazy....
    He needs a thread of his own too yeah it's sad, these super brainy people often end up going a bit mad, I'm expecting to go the same way.

What's the best flavour popcorn to have when watching a film?

(sorry Organ, I'm hungry)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    What's the best flavour popcorn to have when watching a film?

(sorry Organ, I'm hungry)

I didn't expect anyone else to answer that's why I didn't start a separate thread, I was genuinely sorry for disturbing the thread though, unlike you, piss taker

Blue in the Face

He needs a thread of his own too yeah it's sad, these super brainy people often end up going a bit mad, I'm expecting to go the same way.
    I'll go away and revise and pretend that I've always been an expert on the subject.

I know why you have an interest by the way Certainly the Tesla thread is likely to be infinite due to it's endless energy.....

You won't go mad Mrs. The more sane you get the more a mad world makes you feel nuts