+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Advantage Law?

Advantage Law?

Bamba scored a perfectly good goal which was disallowed because the ref blew foul just and made us take a pen, which we could have missed. Would have been so unfair if we'd missed it.

Isn't it time referees were allowed to play advantage as they do in rugby?

Re: Advantage Law?

I think the ref blew before the ball was in the net so couldn't allow the "goal"to stand.

They are allowed to play advantage

I think the point of the original post is that the ref blew too quickly.

I don't think our refs have the same discretion as those in rugby, but, nevertheless, I have seen instances where refs have allowed play to continue for a few seconds before stopping play for a free kick. It's down to the individual ref, but overall, the present standard is not high, so "it is what it is".

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They are allowed to play advantage
    Even so, they rarely allow play to continue to see if an advantage accrues, as in rugby.

I think some refs are really good at seeing if there's won advantage, the guy last night not so much

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Even so, they rarely allow play to continue to see if an advantage accrues, as in rugby.
    They do wait to see if an advantage is gained, however its far more likely that the the team "fouled" lose the ball and don't gain an advantage in football than in rugby

Advantage in rugby is a joke, it goes on far too long in many cases, even the commentators get confused!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They do wait to see if an advantage is gained, however its far more likely that the the team "fouled" lose the ball and don't gain an advantage in football than in rugby

Advantage in rugby is a joke, it goes on far too long in many cases, even the commentators get confused!
    Yes it is too long in rugby. Also, there's the gain line so it's a lot easier to deduce if there's a genuine advantage.

I think it's a hard where a penalty is concerned as what type of advantage do you play? Until you score as 9f you play advantage and miss to me advantage is over and then no penalty and then everyone would be up in arms

International

r

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yes it is too long in rugby. Also, there's the gain line so it's a lot easier to deduce if there's a genuine advantage.
    As soon as you go over the gain line that should be advantage over imo but they seem to have advantage forever

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mansfield View Post
    Bamba scored a perfectly good goal which was disallowed because the ref blew foul just and made us take a pen, which we could have missed. Would have been so unfair if we'd missed it.

Up to the ref but he is allowed to, so nothing to change as such.. watching it on ifollow he blows just before Bamba heads it in..it's fractions..

Refs often let the game flow when a foul has been committed and will go back and card a player after the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Actually they do now but in this case (the penalty) he didn't.

StT.
    <><

I'm living and learning here...

I found this on the English FA website, under Powers and Duties of referees:

"ADVANTAGE

allows play to continue when an offence occurs and the non-offending team will benefit from the advantage and penalises the offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time or within a few seconds"

So that ref last night was allowed to let play go on for "a few seconds ". I don't know how many seconds elapsed between him blowing up and the goal being clearly scored. But isn't that the whole point of the rugby law? It may seems to go on a bit long but that's because the ref is giving time to see if there really is an advantage, and if there isn't he can blow up, bring play back and the non-offending team gets its free kick or whatever.

That's gotta be fairer than what we saw last night. What if we'd missed that pen?

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-...---the-referee

Right, and I'm sure we've all seen refs blow up when a player has been fouled but has continued in possession and making progress, only to have to come back and take a free.

I'm living and learning here...

I found this on the English FA website, under Powers and Duties of referees:

"ADVANTAGE

allows play to continue when an offence occurs and the non-offending team will benefit from the advantage and penalises the offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time or within a few seconds"

So that ref last night was allowed to let play go on for "a few seconds ". I don't know how many seconds elapsed between him blowing up and the goal being clearly scored. But isn't that the whole point of the rugby law? It may seems to go on a bit long but that's because the ref is giving time to see if there really is an advantage, and if there isn't he can blow up, bring play back and the non-offending team gets its free kick or whatever.

That's gotta be fairer than what we saw last night. What if we'd missed that pen?

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-...---the-referee
    Exactly my point. The refs are inconsistent in their reading of whether an advantage might arise and more often than not blow too soon.