+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pews removed from church as they interfere with bake sales

Pews removed from church as they interfere with bake sales

Churches don't need pews any more because they are increasingly used for bake sales and art exhibitions, a church court has said, as it ruled Bath Abbey can remove its Victorian pews.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...on-ceremonies/

Re: Pews removed from church as they interfere with bake sales

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Churches don't need pews any more because they are increasingly used for bake sales and art exhibitions, a church court has said, as it ruled Bath Abbey can remove its Victorian pews.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...on-ceremonies/
    A bit of a quiet day for you on the twitter feed front by the looks of things

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    A bit of a quiet day for you on the twitter feed front by the looks of things
    It's quite interesting that even the churches think religion is dead. I'd turn it into a Tesco Express or something, and do the cakes and bakes full-time

It's quite interesting that even the churches think religion is dead. I'd turn it into a Tesco Express or something, and do the cakes and bakes full-time
    Better not tell those Evangelists you hang about with in cyberspace that kind of heresy!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Better not tell those Evangelists you hang about with in cyberspace that kind of heresy!
    You keep drifting away from the topic in hand, that the church have thrown the towell in. So why does the Archbishop of Canterbury still speak out on weighty issues, when he has basically become the equivalent of a Greggs store manager?

You keep drifting away from the topic in hand, that the church have thrown the towell in. So why does the Archbishop of Canterbury still speak out on weighty issues, when he is now basically the equivalent of a Greggs store manager?
    Went to Georgia for the Wales game and wandered into a service at the Orthodox Cathedral. Place was packed and not a pew in sight. Perhaps the C of E have recognised that to make their version of religion accessible their buildings are for life, not just Christmas!

Probably fetch a few quid. Make nice floors for someone.

The pews. Not the cakes.

Bath Abbey has been an " exit through the giftshop " experience for many years
    so this doesn't come as a surprise to me.

When Jesus comes back he can have fun turning over the stalls and making a scene.

https://youtu.be/P5ZOwNK6n9U
    Whether or not you like Ricky Gervaise, he kinda hits the nail on the head in this interview.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    https://youtu.be/P5ZOwNK6n9U
    Whether or not you like Ricky Gervaise, he kinda hits the nail on the head in this interview.
    He does indeed. It's always funny how a person of religious views generally inherits them from family members. I've not really come across many people who's parent have no religion who then sat down and looked at the evidence and then became religious. I know plenty of people who have gone the other way though, me included.

Actually we were going to the Church today for my kid's Christmas concert. My wife is "religious", although that is mainly cultural with her being a Catholic. I made a joke about going to the church and she said I would probably burn when I die for making a joke about a Church. Sort of confirmed what religion is - teaching by fear, suppressing inquisitive thoughts, an eternity of damnation if you don't comply.

Religion, to her, is basically about believing to ensure she doesn't end up in hell. My grandfather's funeral a few weeks ago had a reading about how non-believers wouldn't be allowed in. It's frustrating that free thought is being suppressed under the guise of morality.

Here's a video I was watching last week about the Life of Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Bath Abbey has been an " exit through the giftshop " experience for many years
    so this doesn't come as a surprise to me.

Of course it is a tourist destination, its in Bath, always a few Americans and Japanese milling around the place

I am 100% sure they are not throwing in the towel though, they are just creating a multi-purpose area, they plan to have stackable chairs ( as do alot of churches now after they have had a refurb, 2 of our local churches use the space for " preschool activities " )

A very nice church with cracking architecture, The sunday service is normally fairly busy

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I am 100% sure they are not throwing in the towel though, they are just creating a multi-purpose area, they plan to have stackable chairs ( as do alot of churches now after they have had a refurb, 2 of our local churches use the space for " preschool activities " )
    So the church are diversifying into child minding, as well as selling cakes