+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is the rise of the Tory right a cause for a general election?

Is the rise of the Tory right a cause for a general election?

Rumours in the far right media that Johnson, Gove and Rees-Smog are plotting to overthrow the current Tory leadership. Certainly the far right of the party has been most vocal when Brexit negotiations haven't gone their way.

Would May have much to lose by threatening a general election as a counter to this attack on her premiership? On a personal level, probably not. If she was to lose a general election, she'd probably leave politics. If she was ousted, she'd probably leave politics as well and the DUP deal would collapse, leaving a more right wing Tory minority to eventually collapse.

Should she call a general election she would remain leader and would pitch her idea of Brexit and Conservativism to the country. If she wins, the far right are squashed. If she loses, the far right are a small group in opposition.

I reckon she should consider her own strength as leader and call one. She'd have nothing to lose and the opportunity to get conspirators off her back.

Re: Is the rise of the Tory right a cause for a general election?

There are many attacking May from within the party , European leaders and oppostion so it will go one of three ways , a right wing goverment , a left wing goverment or a coalition of chaos, oh for the heady liberal/Tory calm coalition, or the smooth Brown era, post Blair glory years

Christ the Major government seem legendary to me at the moment and I’ve nevwr even voted Conservative.

I wouldn’t say ‘far right’ Eric as that to me is the BNP level etc but they’ve definitely moved to the right and Brexit appears to be some sort of mythical treasure.

They need to be careful though look what happened to the Nazis when they opened the Ark....( I’m nor calling Tories Nazis it’s a joke 😃)

Can't they elect a new PM with the signatures of 50 sitting Tory MP's?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I think it is something like that, you never know how much of this is smoke and mirrors. If the EU think May will be got rid of and Borris will take over - and he will take a much tougher stance with them, as well as walk away without paying a penny more than we are obligated to - that will concentrate minds in Brussels.
    I bet they are shitting themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I bet they are shitting themselves.
    Bring on the Boris then , bash up Johnny foreigner, relaunch the gun boats , take back the world order , rule brittania

Eric - why have you equated 'enthusiastic' Leave campaigners with being hard Right Wing? , there were millions of strong Labour constituencies that voted to leave. Brexit voters seemed to me to be split equally between Labour and Conservative areas.

Back to Theresa May , I cant see there being a general election again, politically there is no will for it (in my opinion). So although Corbyn will be hoping for his chance - I dont think it will come until 2022. Even if May was ousted etc - the Govt would simply say - they will continue to carry out the mandate of leaving the EU as decided by the people etc etc blah blah etc.

So it's a no from me - but what the feck do I know up the city, cant wait for Millwall, I may even go to the game, Ive got a mate down there who owes me a favour, the downside - I'd be sitting with him in the home end....
    I don't think you've read my post thoroughly. I'm looking at the situation more from a Johnson/Gove/Rees Mogg vs May/Hammond perspective. Tory battles tend to be brutal. There are reports that Johnson/Gove/Rees Mogg are prepared to make a move as they're not happy with the way Brexit is progressing. Others in the Tory party are delighted.

If Johnson/Gove/RM are keen on ousting May to get their wish and there's a chance May could be a goner, she can threaten them with a general election. If they are still keen to get rid of her, she has the opportunity to call a general election in an attempt to bolster her position and put her saboteurs down. It wouldn't make any difference to her if the party went down at the general election - she would have lost in any case if Johnson/Gove/RM won the battle.

I think it's a big trick she has up her sleeve. It would keep others in the party in check.

As for another comment you made about concentrating minds in Brussels, until Britain can decide what it actually wants from Brexit, we're actually not concentrating anyone's minds, just causing confusion. The EU will almost certainly already have a plan for whatever we decide to do. We just need to decide what we're doing. If we think we can negotiate the best possible deals and trip up the EU in the process, that's not going to happen and we'd be best off not thinking we have a chance. By and large the EU will keep calling the UK's bluff until we decide and rightly so. The onus is on us to get a deal for the UK, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bring on the Boris then , bash up Johnny foreigner, relaunch the gun boats , take back the world order , rule brittania
    Nice satire :)

Can somebody clarify the Tories can get rid of May without a general election, like what happened with Thatcher?

I don't think the USA would be sad to see her go, and incidently the US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was in meetings with Boris Johnson last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Can somebody clarify the Tories can get rid of May without a general election, like what happened with Thatcher?
    They could, of course. However, if there was a potential challenge, all May has to do is call an election. There's no way the Tories would hold a leadership election during a general election. It's a strong weapon she has.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post

I don't think the USA would be sad to see her go, and incidently the US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was in meetings with Boris Johnson last week.
    The Tories will not trust May to lead the party in another general election campaign so there will be a leadership election at some point in the next four years. This week's noise is contemplating something sooner rather than later.

The American Secretary of State met with his counterpart the British Foreign Secretary. Get out of here!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The Tories will not trust May to lead the party in another general election campaign so there will be a leadership election at some point in the next four years. This week's noise is contemplating something sooner rather than later.

The American Secretary of State met with his counterpart the British Foreign Secretary. Get out of here!
    Yes it's true! And you do remember who was home secretary at the time we were spying on well-known American citizens on behalf of President Obama?

Smoke and mirrors indeed ,and it's everywhere:

EU send out were tough soundbite every know and then , are they that tough or In a position of strength ?
    Labour so muted ?
    Tories in fighting ? Or is it clever bluster ?
    The goverment are under no real pressure ,they will saunter onto the next election ,just fixing stuff as they go .

A by election might pop up Ruth Davidson wins it , will she stand and stick it to em all in her intimate way ?
    Meanwhile Labour may feel they need a change ,younger chap or even more revolutionary ,yes a female ?
    Vince Cable turns 80 at the next election.
    Greens turn off yellow .
    Plaid lady learns Welsh.
    Scotland installs another fishy leader.
    Trump wins second term.
    Netherlands / Austria votes for a Brexit

Apologies Eric , it's late I will re read your post tomorrow - bed for me now.
    Article 50 says 2 years negotiation then leave, there is no EU law re additional payments - so we could just walk away - the 2 fingers solution perhaps.
    If they want 50 billion - the EU needs to offer something in return - that's obvious.
    Lets not make this a Brexit solutions thread as no one knows, not even Mr Cartman.

The Tories in their leadership issues are brutal and cut throat - direct opposite to Labour who took nearly 6 months and they still couldnt get it right.

The Tories though - this is house of cards stuff, she is playing poker whilst the others on both sides are playing a political version of tiddly winks and snap. Smoke and mirrors most definitely in play here.
    What evidence of that claim is there?

First off May is a Tory. The last thing she would want to risk is the possibility of a Labour Govt. There is zero prospect of another General Election. If there is an attempted coup she will step down. I can’t see her still being PM in 2022.

Yes fed by a rise from the left

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    First off May is a Tory. The last thing she would want to risk is the possibility of a Labour Govt. There is zero prospect of another General Election. If there is an attempted coup she will step down. I can’t see her still being PM in 2022.
    Think you are right here Pearcey.

I do0n't think she would want to go down in history as the leader who handed power to a left of centre Labour as could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Think you are right here Pearcey.

I do0n't think she would want to go down in history as the leader who handed power to a left of centre Labour as could happen.
    Doesn't that label sit with Cameron