+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Rummer Tavern

Re: The Rummer Tavern

The Traders is still a proper boozer with a great Duke box just by the CIA

A pint of scrumpy in The Greyhound was an experience. The Lifeboat wasn’t a bad little pub and The Salutation was good too.

Probably the last time I went in some of the pubs mentioned in this thread was to get a stamp in my “Brains Passport”.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    A pint of scrumpy in The Greyhound was an experience. The Lifeboat wasn’t a bad little pub and The Salutation was good too.

Probably the last time I went in some of the pubs mentioned in this thread was to get a stamp in my “Brains Passport”.
    I was in the Greyhound on the last night before it closed down, the regulars stripped the place for souvenirs. There was another pub just down from the Greyhound called the hope and anchor, awful pint in there.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    The Traders is still a proper boozer with a great Duke box just by the CIA
    The old Panorama, forgotten about that pub, haven't been in there for about thirty years.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It's not free, it's cheap, but it's not free
    Debbie is a diamond for keeping the prices so low, I don't think there's been a price increase for about seven years.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    It was a proper old school pub years ago when it was the Bluebell, especially when Paul and Josie ran it in the early eighties. It's a bit posher now though.
    Back in the 70s, Upstairs on a Saturday night

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Back in the 70s, Upstairs on a Saturday night
    That's where we would take our girlfriends, any other night we would be downstairs in the bar.

People always moan but the fact is hardly anyone ever went there. They could have done the inside a bit better though, make it a bit more apt to its age whilst making it look appealing. Sports sign at the front needs to go. City centre is just full of soulless bars these days, it’s what the modern day youngsters want.

Can't stand the modern, novelty type pubs or the wetherspoon type, or any other 'chain' pubs. You are right about if we don't use these pubs they will disappear, it was sad to see the Rummer empty on a Saturday night when I was last in there, the place used to be rammed not so long back. If they ever shut The Boro and The Vaults I would give town a miss completely.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Do you mean The Custom House?
    No, the Glendower, it was at the top of the side street which the custom house was on the corner of.

No, the Glendower, it was at the top of the side street which the custom house was on the corner of.
    This is a good thread with some good contributions to it.

Fair play, you know your Cardiff, particularly the pubs & clubs!

I used to love going down the Docks on a Sunday afternoon and drinking in the Bute Dock most of the day, before moving on to Babb's kitchen later in the evening, never saw any trouble there. I'd sometimes enjoy a beer in The Crown, opposite the Custom house. I had one or two good stop on's in The Crown ... Dee the landlady was from London way I believe and was a cracking singer. Sometimes we would be told to lie down on the floor and keep quiet when there was a boy-in-blue patrolling nearby, it was quite comical at times.

The docks was a great Sunday all-day drinking place, I think the police just turned a blind eye to it all, they knew all the watering holes down there were self-regulating with never a whiff of trouble.

Joe City mentioned it was a white pub though and the only white one I remember was The Custom House? Didn’t think The Glendower was white but your knowledge is far more comprehensive than mine

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Joe City mentioned it was a white pub though and the only white one I remember was The Custom House? Didn’t think The Glendower was white but your knowledge is far more comprehensive than mine
    The top half walls of the Glendower were always painted white and the bottom half was like a roughcast finish

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

I used to love going down the Docks on a Sunday afternoon and drinking in the Bute Dock most of the day, before moving on to Babb's kitchen later in the evening, never saw any trouble there. I'd sometimes enjoy a beer in The Crown, opposite the Custom house. I had one or two good stop on's in The Crown ... Dee the landlady was from London way I believe and was a cracking singer. Sometimes we would be told to lie down on the floor and keep quiet when there was a boy-in-blue patrolling nearby, it was quite comical at times.

The docks was a great Sunday all-day drinking place, I think the police just turned a blind eye to it all, they knew all the watering holes down there were self-regulating with never a whiff of trouble.
    Remember the parrot in the crown?

The top half walls of the Glendower were always painted white and the bottom half was like a roughcast finish

I remember I moved down to a flat in the Wharf around 1991 when it was just built, the Bay was just that back then. Running the gauntlet past the custom house and the crown was sometimes the nights best entertainment. Especially on the way home in the early hours, literally anything could happen by there. Tranny prossies hitting on you whilst sniffing gas was a sight to behold. Saw quite a few blades flashed about too.....

Glendower.jpg

Remember the parrot in the crown?
    I hadn't until you mentioned it, but yeah...

[QUOTE=Rock_Flock_of_Five;4836273]Glendower.jpg[/QUOTE

Ha! I should’ve remembered. John Menzies offices and warehouse were in that building that the cars parked outside. My Mum worked there for 15 years or more

That's the one .