+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attendance tomorrow

Re: Attendance tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    A "bit" disappointing?!?!?

Fewer than 20000 home fans for a derby game inFebruary whilst 4 points clear in 2nd? Where are the missing fans?
    Just had a look at the attendances for Feb in 2011,last time we were really challenging for automatic promotion in blue, and all the attendances were 21k. So I would say gone nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Just had a look at the attendances for Feb in 2011,last time we were really challenging for automatic promotion in blue, and all the attendances were 21k. So I would say gone nowhere
    Who were they against ?

More there today cos it was Bristol, less because it was 12 AM Sunday

Not forgetting back in 2011 we had something like 8k season ticket holders in the Family Stand due to free tickets, price freeze, Wembley, chance of cheap season tickets on the prem.

The complaint then was 3-4000 didn't turn up !!

Look, the rebrand has cost us fans, no question. How many, no one knows.

Admin and relegations also would have destroyed us.

What's done is done now. We are back in blue and doing well.

It could have turned out a lot worse

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Regardless of Warnock's arrival, the 16/17 game was also live on Sky and on a Friday night, all factors that would lower the attendance of a normal game. I think putting an increase of 8,000 on our last home game (14,131) down to just Warnock is a tad unfair
    There were £5 tickets available for the 16/17 game, that was the main reason for the decent crowd

Reading, Leicester, Scunthorpe, Burnley. Just checked again and Leicester was 22k. Crowds are definitely lower no denying it, but you would think we were playing in front of 40k the way some go on.

In 2011 the crowds never dipped below 20000. This season, they have only topped 20000 4 times - twice because of fan offers.

Reading, Leicester, Scunthorpe, Burnley. Just checked again and Leicester was 22k. Crowds are definitely lower no denying it, but you would think we were playing in front of 40k the way some go on.
    No, they were playing in front of 20000 consistently. Even when in ninth spot and on a poor run of form. Maybe I need to bump a thread - but, in the face of cold hard statistics, people just get personal and ignore the facts.

Good crowd today. I was suprised at the announcement. Thought it was around 22-23. Noticed loads of empty seats in the front of the grandstand. These seats arent cheap - think around £26 plus a £2 booking fee. Think club should look at that - wont matter in the PL of course as we will pull 30,000 but failure to go up will see a further dip in attendances. I wouldnt pay £28 quid for a front row seat when the same seat in the Ninian is £20.

Canton sold out and good atmosphere there.

Ninian Stand still so quiet.

Really hope most of those who came today come back for the Tuesday night game v Barnsley.

I dont know why as it wasnt a good game. In fact it was poor. But I really enjoyed it.

You claim crowd size is the same.

Cardiff 2-2 Reading 21,406
    Cardiff 1-0 Scunny 21,604
    Cardiff 1-1 Burnley 21,307
    Cardiff 2-0 Leicester 22,410
    Average 21682

This February?
    Cardiff 2-0 Bolton 16,013
    Cardiff 1-0 Middlesbrough 18,720
    Cardiff 1-0 Wurzles 21,018
    Average 18583

Difference? 3,099
    Drop of 14%

By the way, I fully intend to watch Cardiff City in the future. Unlike some, it will take more than the Premier League to drag me there.

And everyone was moaning that there were thousands of empty seats in the Family Stand where fans who'd bought season tickets weren't turning up.

Biggest drop in attendance figures is down to season ticket numbers.

If you've sold 20k of these then gates are always over 21-22k irrespective of who turned up.

These were sold the season before on the back of either going up , going to Wembley or having another crack at going up.

After 4 seasons of rubbish it's hard getting new fans to commit.

Club said even in the good years there was something like 10% who didn't renew for one reason or another.

Walk up these days is probably pretty much the same.

Think this sort of thing is ignored when it's debated.

Not denying we've lost fans. They are quick enough to tell us, but how many ? Not as many as is made out. Hundreds yes, thousand maybe, several thousand.. unlikely

BTW I'm sure I saw another one of the stay aways slipping in today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Good crowd today. I was suprised at the announcement. Thought it was around 22-23. Noticed loads of empty seats in the front of the grandstand. These seats arent cheap - think around £26 plus a £2 booking fee. Think club should look at that - wont matter in the PL of course as we will pull 30,000 but failure to go up will see a further dip in attendances. I wouldnt pay £28 quid for a front row seat when the same seat in the Ninian is £20.

Really hope most of those who came today come back for the Tuesday night game v Barnsley.

I dont know why as it wasnt a good game. In fact it was poor. But I really enjoyed it.
    The ticket prices at Cardiff are spot on. In fact, next season's season tickets are not much different to Ridsdale's prices. They may even be the same.

The ticket prices at Cardiff are spot on. In fact, next season's season tickets are not much different to Ridsdale's prices. They may even be the same.
    An £6 difference for opposite sides of the stadium with the same view in my opinion isnt spot on. The empty seats in those area also suggests an issue.

If you think those seats are worth the extra £6 fair enough.

Average 21682

This February?
    Average 18583

Difference? 3,099
    Drop of 14%

By the way, I fully intend to watch Cardiff City in the future. Unlike some, it will take more than the Premier League to drag me there.
    Interesting how consistent those numbers were.
    The February before was the 'golden ticket ' fiasco where apparently ( feel free to correct me) 17000+ advance season tickets were sold.

I believe ( and again am prepared to be proven wrong as I can only find links to messageboards and nothing official) this got up to 18500-19000 by the start of the season.

I also believe ( no official figure) we've sold 14000 this year.

There's the difference.

4-5000 less season ticket holders.

What proportion of this is down to the rebrand, or other factors I, nor anyone else know. I'd say lack of expectation is no 1, absence of Ridsdale's clever sell next, lack of cup final, lack of new ground novelty, the knowledge that you can get a good seat for the big games without having to watch the run off the mill ones, novelty wearing off, lack of atmosphere, and the rebrand are all valid factors in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

We'll be lucky to get 18k vs Barnsley unless there's an offer.

You know we are still in relative good times when some try to make out a 20,000 plus crowd is poor.

Good crowd today in my opinion.

2010-11 was also the season we signed Bellamy which added thousands on to the first few gates when he played.

We had 22400 for that seasons 3-2 win over Bristol City a few weeks after Bellamy had arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There were £5 tickets available for the 16/17 game, that was the main reason for the decent crowd
    Yes. It's the only time since we've played each other in the championship where the Bristol City attendance has been significantly above the season's average. In all other seasons it's been slightly above or below the average. Today's crowd, in terms of a comparison with the season-long average, is higher than we might have expected. However, with us being in the top 2 and with a great chance of promotion, I expect our average attendance to increase - especially when we play Wolves. Reading will be a big attendance if we've either won promotion or are in the hunt on the last day of the season. Our Easter attendances have also been significantly larger in recent seasons, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I reckon under 16k.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I reckon under 16k.
    I think you are being a bit pessimistic Eric. Surely 17k +?

No, they were playing in front of 20000 consistently. Even when in ninth spot and on a poor run of form. Maybe I need to bump a thread - but, in the face of cold hard statistics, people just get personal and ignore the facts.
    Not getting personal or ignoring facts. Our crowds are shit, our away crowds are worse.

You looked at the crowd today and rather than say 21k is poor (which is a normalish size crowd for the new ground), you said less than 20k home fans is poor for Feb, and us being second to make it sound even worse. I used attendances from 2011 for reasons already mentioned. I am comparing today's crowd only.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I think you are being a bit pessimistic Eric. Surely 17k +?
    I'd hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I have a feeling that there will be an offer.

Average 21682

This February?
    Average 18583

Difference? 3,099
    Drop of 14%

In my opinion you are continually trying to put a downer on current attendances at City, possibly to make your own non attendance seem more important. If you dont want to go, for whatever reason, thats fine but the fact remains that our average gate this season is up 3500 on last season or +21% which is very good by anyones standards. Continually going on about how we should be getting higher gates is irrelevant. If we continue to have success the crowds will gradually come back and as we have more success we will be able to get better players in and play better quality football. You are putting the cart before the horse I am afraid. You wont find many people going regularly this season who arent enjoying the ride.