+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Trump's Past

Trump's Past

There seems to be ever more compelling evidence that Trump, as a citizen, was able to work with, pay or influence media outlets such as the National Enquirer (who exist on media gossip and expose) to actually suppress embarrassing stories about his behaviour.

I guess the question is how much does this really matter? People weren't born politicians. Do you have to show some kind of monastic existence before you embark on a political career. Alternatively if there are skeletons in your cupboard is it better to just accept these and move on or try to cover up and deny if they are exposed? There must be examples across the political spectrum of different approaches and how well they have worked.

Re: Trump's Past

It matters in the political world as it is beneficial to have dirt on people in order to control and manipulate them.

[QUOTE=Wales-Bales;4865463]It matters in the political world as it is beneficial to have dirt on people in order to control and manipulate them.[/QUOTE

I guess the important thing is compared with political donations or support that the dirt on your past is far less transparent. When you become someone where, theoretically the expectations and spotlight of holding public office in a democracy are higher than when you are a private citizen then the risk magnifies.

I was taken by reading a "tribute" to Paul Ryan by a fellow Republican politician who said he was honoured to have worked with him over the last twenty years. Ryan is 48 so has spent quite a bit of his life within a framework that sets standards on public ethics. Trump is a 71 year old who has spent most of his life operating at the top of his own corporate governance within whatever code of ethics that existed for his organisation.

Regardless of how ethical that code was the likelihood is that he has decades of behaving in a less restrictive way than if you were seeking or holding public office. Doesn't make it any easier on him when he does though.

A lot of politicians who get to the top have already been 'brownstoned' and are 100% compliant. That's where the famous island, Hollywood, and crazy Vegas parties come into it. If you play the game then it's all is good, but if you step out of line your career is over. There is also the money and corruption angle. It's a merky world out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    A lot of politicians who get to the top have already been 'brownstoned' and are 100% compliant. That's where the famous island and Hollywood come into it. It's a merky world out there.
    I just looked up brownstoned and it refers to sexual paedophilia. Do really think that there are sufficient "brownstoned" politicians in the key democracies of the world that are 100% compliant? If so to who as presumably it would have to be the same hidden hand to make a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I just looked up brownstoned and it refers to sexual paedophilia. Do really think that there are sufficient "brownstoned" politicians in the key democracies of the world that are 100% compliant? If so to who as presumably it would have to be the same hidden hand to make a difference!
    I consider brownstoning to be all sorts of dirty tricks that have orchestrated and recorded for the purpose of manipulation.

Regarding Trump, if they had the dirt on him it would already be out, but fair play they are trying really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I consider brownstoning to be all sorts of dirty tricks that have orchestrated and recorded for the purpose of manipulation.

Regarding Trump, if they had the dirt on him it would already be out, but fair play they are trying really hard.
    Would the dirt already be out? Interesting read:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/9...486286337.html

#43-50

It takes a special talent to pardon Scooter Libby who was convicted for leaking sensitive information on the same day that he demanded that Comey should be prosecuted for the same. That said perhaps the rushed pardon was more a message to those that have sensitive information on the current incumbent.