+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Earth calling BIS

Earth calling BIS

A number of weeks ago, BIS posted on a thread about attendances, stating that there was 'no way' that Cities average attendance would get above 20,000, because we only had a core support of about 16,000 and that enough walk up support wouldnt be enticed to go along, due to the poor standard of football on offer and VT still being in charge. Well I suggest that he now checks the final statistics (average 20,164) and issue a sincere apology to everyone including VT. Its the least he can do surely (although I wont hold my breath).

Re: Earth calling BIS

For Burton to come so close to survival on less than 5,000 is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    A number of weeks ago, BIS posted on a thread about attendances, stating that there was 'no way' that Cities average attendance would get above 20,000, because we only had a core support of about 16,000 and that enough walk up support wouldnt be enticed to go along, due to the poor standard of football on offer and VT still being in charge. Well I suggest that he now checks the final statistics (average 20,164) and issue a sincere apology to everyone including VT. Its the least he can do surely (although I wont hold my breath).
    Though it might be worth mentioning that, take the Wolves and Reading games out of the equation where our crowds were expectedly high for the situation we were in, our average attendance drops by just over 800 to just under 19.2k.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'd say it was disappointing for a team that finished 2nd to be so far down that list, but most of those clubs have had more relative success than us recently.
    One or two seasons in the premier league aren't going to add many to the core support, 5-10 yeah and you might have a better chance.
    In my kids school there are more real Madrid fans than Cardiff ones.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Of the twelve clubs above us in that table eleven are clubs who have spent a great deal more time in the top division during the post-war period and/or have won more major honours than Cardiff. Only Bristol City, who are arguably a smaller club than Cardiff, have surpassed our attendance this season having had a less illustrious history.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    Of the twelve clubs above us in that table eleven are clubs who have spent a great deal more time in the top division during the post-war period and/or have won more major honours than Cardiff. Only Bristol City, who are arguably a smaller club than Cardiff, have surpassed our attendance this season having had a less illustrious history.
    To be honest id say those 11 are all bigger than us and have been for most of our lives.

The difference this season is we are probably averaging over 20k of people in the ground- unlike previous years when people can look at the stats at seasons inflated with lots of free child season tickets and say the stats show we averaged 21k.

How many did we average first season back at this level with ole/slade? However many the stats say you can take about 5k off. Most games were poorly attended and there were lots of free giveaways st the end of the season. This season is very different because of that. No freebies and numbers in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Though it might be worth mentioning that, take the Wolves and Reading games out of the equation where our crowds were expectedly high for the situation we were in, our average attendance drops by just over 800 to just under 19.2k.
    Agree but at the time of his post, he knew what the fixtures were, we were second in the table and he still refused to accept that we would get enough attendance in the remaining games to get it over 20000, even though a number of people argued the opposite. I remember at the time our average was around 18600. My point really is that he is not as clever as he thinks he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    The difference this season is we are probably averaging over 20k of people in the ground
    Have you had a bang on the head recently, hun?

Villa- Top flight for 40+ successive seasons
    Leeds- 50 seasons in the top flight
    Wolves- 63 seasons in the top flight
    Sunderland- 97 seasons in the top flight
    Derby- 64 seasons in the top flight
    Sheffield United- 63 seasons in the top flight
    Sheffield Wednesday- 67 seasons in the top flight
    Norwich- 25 seasons in the top flight
    Middlesbrough- 61 seasons in the top flight
    Forest- 56 seasons in the top flight
    Birmingham- 57 seasons in the top flight
    Bristol- 9 seasons in the top flight
    Cardiff- 16 seasons in the top flight

It makes perfect sense that we're behind most of these clubs in terms of attendance. I'd imagine the victory over Manchester United and subsequent performances against Manchester City gave Bristol City's attendances a bit of a "bump" and none of these other clubs have had the impact of a rebrand & Russell Slade in recent seasons

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

It makes perfect sense that we're behind most of these clubs in terms of attendance. I'd imagine the victory over Manchester United and subsequent performances against Manchester City gave Bristol City's attendances a bit of a "bump" and none of these other clubs have had the impact of a rebrand & Russell Slade in recent seasons
    Russell Slade-That hurts.

Our home average of 20164 is for league games only, so doesnt include Man City or the games against Portsmouth, Burton or Mansfield. Likewise Bristol Cities 20953 doesn't include the Man U cup game.

This topic has been done to death. We only sold 11-12k season tickets last summer, that is the long and short of it. You are not getting 20k+ crowds on a regular basis with those numbers, I could have told you that before a ball had been kicked as generally speaking season ticket holders make up the vast majority of your attendance these days ( which is why they can be so inaccurate if the club in question is doing rubbish and season ticket holders start staying away en mass, see Sunderland).

Season ticket sales are a lot healthy now though - even before yesterday - so sub 20K will hopefully become the exception to the norm again moving forward, no matter what division we are in.

If none of the above lets you say what you want to say then by all means ignore it. Nobody's reading this anyway as I keep on having to say it over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozoni Wam View Post
    This topic has been done to death. We only sold 11-12k season tickets last summer, that is the long and short of it. You are not getting 20k+ crowds on a regular basis with those numbers, I could have told you that before a ball had been kicked as generally speaking season ticket holders make up the vast majority of your attendance these days ( which is why they can be so inaccurate if the club in question is doing rubbish and season ticket holders start staying away en mass, see Sunderland).

Season ticket sales are a lot healthy now though - even before yesterday - so sub 20K will hopefully become the exception to the norm again moving forward, no matter what division we are in.

If none of the above lets you say what you want to say then by all means ignore it. Nobody's reading this anyway as I keep on having to say it over and over again.
    We got eight league gates of over 20000 and our average was 20164, which tends to disprove your post to some extent. However, my original post was not intended to open up the age old debate of what attendances we should be getting, it was to point out the inaccuracies in a certain posters negative claims about our club. It has digressed a bit away from that I agree.

We got eight league gates of over 20000 and our average was 20164, which tends to disprove your post to some extent. However, my original post was not intended to open up the age old debate of what attendances we should be getting, it was to point out the inaccuracies in a certain posters negative claims about our club. It has digressed a bit away from that I agree.
    Sorry, my post wasn't aimed at you. I have been trying to explain why our attendances are lower than expected this season all week but I just feel like I'm wasting my time when I read some of the posts above. I actually think we have done very well to average over 20,000 this season. I mean to put into perspective, we have had to break our attendance record twice this season to get there.

Think i'll just knock it on the head for a while now before I drive myself completely up the wall.

Our home average of 20164 is for league games only, so doesnt include Man City or the games against Portsmouth, Burton or Mansfield. Likewise Bristol Cities 20953 doesn't include the Man U cup game.
    Think about what he might be getting at with his post a second..

Well we're probably going to have average crowds above 30,000 next season. So it's moot now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Why should they be taken out of the equation? That’s an odd way to measure the average? Taking out the two highest attendances?

Why don’t you take off the bottom five lowest attendances and push our average up?

Or, a bit of a left field suggestion for someone like you, who likes to makes things unnecessarily complicated, why dont you just measure the way averages are usually measured and divide the total by the number of league games played? Thus giving you the average league attendance for the season.

Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Why should they be taken out of the equation? That’s an odd way to measure the average? Taking out the two highest attendances?

Why don’t you take off the bottom five lowest attendances and push our average up?

Or, a bit of a left field suggestion for someone like you, who likes to makes things unnecessarily complicated, why dont you just measure the way averages are usually measured and divide the total by the number of league games played? Thus giving you the average league attendance for the season.

Simples.
    To be fair to him, when figuring out an average extremities are sometimes taken out of the equation

To be fair to him, when figuring out an average extremities are sometimes taken out of the equation
    No. It’s just Eric being Eric.

Is an increase of 20-25% on some of the other attendances really so “extreme”?

It’s football attendance averages not quadratic equations!!!

This table says it all.

I can't believe Sunderland have been in the top flight for 97 seasons

An apology to VT?

I will issue a statement on May 7th 2024, exactly 6 years from today. I'll give you a preview

"I made a mistake about Cardiff City not averaging 20,000. I've rectified it, and we are now all pulling in the same direction". I'll even hire two bodyguards to chair me onto the pitch in an effort to make me appear to be one of the fans.

Cardiff's crowds have been piss poor. A couple of large crowds have helped to skew the figures. Fewer than 3 months ago, the club had 16,000 against Bolton Wanderers. Two months to the day, the club had 16,000 against Barnsley. This despite the club occupying the top 2 spots for most of the season (and very probably on the days in question).

Now, 32,000 for a promotion game, or 32,000 for a game against Man City may well allow you to score points - good luck to you. But, nothing in the future will alter the fact that Cardiff City had some embarrassingly shit crowds whilst chasing promotion and often in the middle of some significantly long runs of victories.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Well we're probably going to have average crowds above 30,000 next season. So it's moot now.
    No it's not. In a promotion season, Cardiff City barely average 20,000. The future doesn't alter the past, a season of crap crowds will always be a season of crap crowds.