+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The good luck Southampton thread

Re: The good luck Southampton thread

So if Huddersfield get 1 point from the next 2 games the Jacks are down given the vast inferior goal difference with Southampton (and assuming they don't pick up any points)?

Think Huddersfield may well get a point at home against Arsenal and send Swansea down. Either way a massive power shift has taken place in South Wales football this season, things will never be the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Arsenal have lost all their away games this year. Nothing at all for them to play for. Huddersfield need 1 point from 2. I can see them grinding it out.
    You forget that Arsenal have been prioritising the Europa League for much of the second half of the season. They have been putting out a lot of weakened sides away from home. Wenger will want to sign off with a win as well.

Swansea are inept and wont beat Stoke anyway so its irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Hudersfield's last two games are Chelsea away and Arsenal at home, Wenger's last game. If they lose both those games and Swansea win, the Swans stay up. It's far from over.
    Man City 0 Huddersfield 0...

Huddersfield only need a point if Swansea win their last game. Even if people think that that is likely (and I do not), it is not a foregone conclusion as recent history has shown.

Three results need to go their way, with no margin for error. They are hanging buy a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozoni Wam View Post
    You forget that Arsenal have been prioritising the Europa League for much of the second half of the season. They have been putting out a lot of weakened sides away from home. Wenger will want to sign off with a win as well.

Swansea are inept and wont beat Stoke anyway so its irrelevant.
    Fergie's Man Utd were involved in a 5-5 thriller against West Brom in his last game. I think the bubbly will be flowing for Arsene and the players won't give a monkeys.

Agreed, I think Stoke can get something there as they've no pressure on them.

Great result for Southampton.

Good luck to the Terriers.

These are all assuming that Swansea will turn over Stoke.

To be relegated odds: Swansea 1-3, Huddersfield 11-4, Southampton 100-1.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    These are all assuming that Swansea will turn over Stoke.
    On current form Swansea won’t beat stoke as last time I checked you had to score a goal to win. They can’t score.

I thought they’d draw 0-0 tonight and again 0-0 v stoke which would probably have kept them up. They need the win now though!

Well in Saints.

When I worked down West I met a few decent Swans fans but a look at their forum over the last seven years would show the genuine hate from a section of their fanbase not just towards the club but a massive chip about anything to do with Cardiff as a City also.

Going on and on about how we wouldn't be playing them for a while, well it would be funny if we didn't next season.

Having said that they always seem to be like a ****ing cockroach and find a way out of it, Huddersfield need to step up.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Huddersfield only need a point if Swansea win their last game. Even if people think that that is likely (and I do not), it is not a foregone conclusion as recent history has shown.

Three results need to go their way, with no margin for error. They are hanging buy a thread.
    The bit I'm dubious about is Swansea beating Stoke. I think Huddersfield are likely to lose to Chelsea and take it to the last day for Wenger's au revoir

They're not happy at Planet Mongs, Swansea's most popular forum. Usually they wile away the days swapping camper van restoration tips and incest advice, but tonight it's all football talk and Huw Jenkins has gone from being viewed as the Antichrist to something far darker.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/footba...seacity/forum/

SKY ended its broadcast by playing the song “We’ve Got To Get Out Of This Place” over pictures of Swansea. Brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    SKY ended its broadcast by playing the song “We’ve Got To Get Out Of This Place” over pictures of Swansea. Brutal.

I didn’t realise how precarious Huddersfield’s position is.
    I think the Jacks might just escape.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Hope they get hammered.
    I dont want to be friends with you no more.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Yes I’m very surprised how the bookies think it’s all done. I’d say it’s 50/50

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    The bit I'm dubious about is Swansea beating Stoke. I think Huddersfield are likely to lose to Chelsea and take it to the last day for Wenger's au revoir
    I totally agree. that outcome alone is unlikely. Add in the Huddersfield result and you get to the sort of odds that Swansea now are to survive, which are 5/2.

I hope Swansea stay up instead of Huddersfield so we have a Welsh Derby and pick up 6 points!

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    I do too. Cardiff would easily finish above Swansea next season, I'm not quite sure why Cardiff fans want such a weak team to go down this season. Especially considering the excitement at recent games with Cardiff fans singing "Swansea City, we're coming for you".
    Surely it would be more fun to see their relegation next season?

Huddersfield are in trouble imo, they need a point out of the next 6 but very unlikely with their fixtures. The fact Swansea couldnt score if they played all week might be their downfall.

If I had to bet on either Swansea or Huddersfield staying up, I'd take Swansea.

Can’t work out the odds to this.

Bookies have Huddersfield as huge odds on to lose both games. And Swansea odds on to beat stoke.

But Swansea big favourites to go down. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Can’t work out the odds to this.

Bookies have Huddersfield as huge odds on to lose both games. And Swansea odds on to beat stoke.

But Swansea big favourites to go down. What am I missing?
    Probably just the compounding point. You need to take the odds of Huddersfield losing against Chelsea; multiply that by the odds of huddersfield losing against Arsenal; and multiply that by the odds of Swansea beating Stoke. The result will be a pretty low percentage, even if those first to events are quite likely.

E.g. if Huddersfield are say 70% certain to lose each game, the probability of them losing both is pretty much evens. If the chance of Swansea winning is say 50%, then the odds of Swansea staying up is about 25%. (These numbers are for example only, picked because they are probably about right and because it makes the mental arithmetic easy).