+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PL clubs and the minutes given to academy players this season

Blue in the Face

PL clubs and the minutes given to academy players this season

Extremely varied stats here on how many minutes were given in the senior team to academy graduates this season. I hope our desire to copy the Burnley model doesn't extend to the academy as well...

How many minutes did YOUR club give to academy graduates this season? Arsenal lead the way with Burnley the worst
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-club-12535116

League minutes by academy graduates

Arsenal : 7,389
    Man United : 6,220
    Everton : 5,879
    Brighton : 5,261
    Tottenham : 4,041
    West Ham : 3,946
    Crystal Palace : 3,036
    Leicester : 2,767
    Huddersfield : 2,667
    Southampton : 2,190
    Watford : 2,139
    Chelsea : 2,070
    Newcastle : 1,650
    Liverpool : 1,582
    Stoke : 577
    West Brom : 559
    Swansea : 268
    Man City : 106
    Bournemouth : 72
    Burnley : 0

Re: PL clubs and the minutes given to academy players this season

3 out of the bottom 6 relegated too.

Also wouldn't mind betting that before all 3 of them lost their way they would have been much higher on this list

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Also wouldn't mind betting that before all 3 of them lost their way they would have been much higher on this list
    You could argue that because they're relegated, they didn't feel they could play them. Either way, if Ralls plays 30 games next season, we will be on about 2,700 minutes, or 8th which is pretty shocking!

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You could argue that because they're relegated, they didn't feel they could play them. Either way, if Ralls plays 30 games next season, we will be on about 2,700 minutes, or 8th which is pretty shocking!
    Fair point but on the other hand Man city who have no such problems and Chelsea both seem to hoover up loads of youngsters both seem to not play them, but prefer to loan them out.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Fair point but on the other hand Man city who have no such problems and Chelsea both seem to hoover up loads of youngsters both seem to not play them, but prefer to loan them out.
    Think it's Chelsea's method of getting round FFP. Money spent on the academy doesn't count against FFP, which I gave includes tribunal fees etc. But when they sell the players as young pros, as is the plan, then it gives them more leniency for spending. Perhaps Man City can have the same accusation aimed at them.

There's something not quite right about the academy system at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Can Joe Ralls really be considered a product of City's academy? He was 17 when he arrived at the club from Farnborough in the summer of 2011 and was in Malky Mackay's first team squad within a couple of months.

Realistically, I'd say Rhys Healey was the only academy graduate to feature for Cardiff this season and he only played 98 minutes of Championship football.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Can Joe Ralls really be considered a product of City's academy? He was 17 when he arrived at the club from Farnborough in the summer of 2011 and was in Malky Mackay's first team squad within a couple of months.

Realistically, I'd say Rhys Healey was the only academy graduate to feature for Cardiff this season and he only played 98 minutes of Championship football.
    Dave Jones bought Ralls at 17 (a nice parting gift from DJ), Malky gave him his debut and we didn't see him for a while after. Ralls did play a fair few times for our DVP sides. I can see where you are coming from, but technically he counts as an academy product. Category One teams I'm sure will be able to count young players they bring in on tribunals ect. So technically Chelsea will be able to claim that Ampadu is a product of Chelsea and Exteter. But neither have come through the system fully really.

Mark Harris has also represented the first team, though in 2016/17 rather than 2017/18. He's an academy graduate.

I'm not sure exactly when Joe Ralls joined us but he was certainly with our Academy squad in the summer of 2010 as a 16-year old. Rhys Healey was 18 when he joined us (as was Kadeem Harris).

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I'm not sure exactly when Joe Ralls joined us but he was certainly with our Academy squad in the summer of 2010 as a 16-year old. Rhys Healey was 18 when he joined us (as was Kadeem Harris).
    I bow to your far greater knowledge of City's Academy. I was under the impression that Ralls was brought in by Neil Ardley as a 17 year-old, but it seems like it was the year before.

I knew about Harris but I'm surprised that Healey was 18 when he arrived. I'm also surprised that he's 23 now. The CCFC Academy seems to have produced very little in recent years, which is really disappointing. I know there are a few ex-City youngsters knocking around in the lower divisions, but the lack of anyone at Championship level or above is a shame.

I bow to your far greater knowledge of City's Academy. I was under the impression that Ralls was brought in by Neil Ardley as a 17 year-old, but it seems like it was the year before.

I knew about Harris but I'm surprised that Healey was 18 when he arrived. I'm also surprised that he's 23 now. The CCFC Academy seems to have produced very little in recent years, which is really disappointing. I know there are a few ex-City youngsters knocking around in the lower divisions, but the lack of anyone at Championship level or above is a shame.
    Indeed, it's a recurring theme in Blue in the Face's Academy and DVP thread (and elsewhere) on here. Ashley Baker made his debut for Sheffield Wednesday recently, Tom James is supposedly being lined up for a move to the Championship from Yeovil and Declan John is at Rangers but there hasn't been a lot of quality coming through recently.

Healey has been unlucky with two injuries, one when he was establishing himself at Dundee in the SPL and then one with us last year, which have slowed his progress. I can't see him starting next season here but there will be plenty of clubs ready to take him on loan around League 1 level, hopefully higher.

Blue in the Face

Indeed, it's a recurring theme in Blue in the Face's Academy and DVP thread (and elsewhere) on here. Ashley Baker made his debut for Sheffield Wednesday recently, Tom James is supposedly being lined up for a move to the Championship from Yeovil and Declan John is at Rangers but there hasn't been a lot of quality coming through recently.

Healey has been unlucky with two injuries, one when he was establishing himself at Dundee in the SPL and then one with us last year, which have slowed his progress. I can't see him starting next season here but there will be plenty of clubs ready to take him on loan around League 1 level, hopefully higher.
    It's our thread, not mine TOBW should've written the OP on that one really. Not that it matters

I do like that this forum has that thread on the academy though as other clubs forums do also. You don't have to miss on any reports or info if you haven't logged on for a few weeks. I kind of wish this forum was more inclined to keep threads going on all club related subjects, but none of the Cardiff forums operate that way for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Extremely varied stats here on how many minutes were given in the senior team to academy graduates this season. I hope our desire to copy the Burnley model doesn't extend to the academy as well...

How many minutes did YOUR club give to academy graduates this season? Arsenal lead the way with Burnley the worst
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-club-12535116

League minutes by academy graduates

Arsenal : 7,389
    Man United : 6,220
    Everton : 5,879
    Brighton : 5,261
    Tottenham : 4,041
    West Ham : 3,946
    Crystal Palace : 3,036
    Leicester : 2,767
    Huddersfield : 2,667
    Southampton : 2,190
    Watford : 2,139
    Chelsea : 2,070
    Newcastle : 1,650
    Liverpool : 1,582
    Stoke : 577
    West Brom : 559
    Swansea : 268
    Man City : 106
    Bournemouth : 72
    Burnley : 0
    Warnock hasn't given any academy players a break at all. A bit like Slade.

It's our thread, not mine TOBW should've written the OP on that one really. Not that it matters

I do like that this forum has that thread on the academy though as other clubs forums do also. You don't have to miss on any reports or info if you haven't logged on for a few weeks. I kind of wish this forum was more inclined to keep threads going on all club related subjects, but none of the Cardiff forums operate that way for some reason.
    You're way too modest. I know TOBW likes to take the credit for Cyncoed Slumdog's DVP reports but I'm sure even he accepts that the Academy/DVP thread is your baby.

I'm not sure if we need any more big threads on here to be honest. Your one, Llanederynblue's GLAMMY and my Velikonja thread are the glue that holds this board together and pretty much cover all bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Two of the bottom 6 qualified for Europe too.

Rhys healey had scored quite a few in the welsh premier league before we signed him.

And yes at only 23 I believe he is the only person to have played in the English premier league, Scottish premier league, welsh premier league, championship, league 1, league 2 and the conference (and the Cymru alliance).

Doubt anybody else will ever achieve all those so to do it by 23!

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Rhys healey had scored quite a few in the welsh premier league before we signed him.

And yes at only 23 I believe he is the only person to have played in the English premier league, Scottish premier league, welsh premier league, championship, league 1, league 2 and the conference.

Doubt anybody else will ever achieve all those so to do it by 23!
    You've forgotten the Cymru Alliance.

I saw Healey at Newport, and I think he can go on to be a very good lower league striker. He'll be immortalised in quiz format though.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    You've forgotten the Cymru Alliance.

I saw Healey at Newport, and I think he can go on to be a very good lower league striker. He'll be immortalised in quiz format though.
    Indeed I edited before you posted this. Yes he’s always look a decent lower league player but I’d be amazed if he made it at the top level. Still was worth a punt from the welsh premier league.

I know it’s noy feasible but I think our kids would benefit more from playing in that than whatever they do at the moment- which lets be honest doesn’t seem to be working. Ok we hear about a good under 13 side every few years but any production line has completely dried up.

Ps didn’t someone sign from farnborough at the same time as joe ralls? His 16 year old mate who was meant to be the real deal? (I may have completely made this up)

Blue in the Face

You're way too modest. I know TOBW likes to take the credit for Cyncoed Slumdog's DVP reports but I'm sure even he accepts that the Academy/DVP thread is your baby.

I'm not sure if we need any more big threads on here to be honest. Your one, Llanederynblue's GLAMMY and my Velikonja thread are the glue that holds this board together and pretty much cover all bases.
    I think TOBW's plagurising of Slumdog has something to do with a revenge mission for Slumdog having reported him for behind the goal hanging at a DVP game. I noticed TOBW, and his ilk, were up to his antics again vs Reading. He's lucky that the pre final whistle stampede he caused didn't get us docked points.

One thing I should have added to your Velikonja thread was that he delivered what was the single worst half time warm up performance I've ever seen. At Selhurst Park in the perfect sunshine. His passing didn't get within ninety degrees of its intended target. Not once. He also looked half dead after ten minutes of light stretching and maybe some self taught Slovenian yoga. And from the amount of times he fluffed his touch I came to the conclusion that he didn't have feet at all, but merely worn out stubs of some description. Was he just a "project" for one of Vinny T's "thanks a million schemes"? He will always remain a mystery and I expect I'll think about him even until my twilight years. I never had the bravery to post that until now. I expect I might not hear from you again for some time.

Indeed I edited before you posted this. Yes he’s always look a decent lower league player but I’d be amazed if he made it at the top level. Still was worth a punt from the welsh premier league.

I know it’s noy feasible but I think our kids would benefit more from playing in that than whatever they do at the moment- which lets be honest doesn’t seem to be working. Ok we hear about a good under 13 side every few years but any production line has completely dried up.
    This is not just a Cardiff thing, by the way, but football clubs are not run with long term planning. Can you name me a side in the top flight, and in the top 6 of the Championship, who are producing a steady stream of players? As someone pointed out, one ever present in the PL next season produced by a club's academy will give that club 3,400 minutes and get them to 7th. I guess Zaha at Palace is an academy product - chances are he accounts for all of their minutes.

I'd like to see a table that shows the number of academy products who have started a game at their club. This table is not really telling us anything except if Burnley produced Nick Pope then they would be in the top 7 instead of being in the bottom 1.

Ps didn’t someone sign from farnborough at the same time as joe ralls? His 16 year old mate who was meant to be the real deal? (I may have completely made this up)
    Jordan Carter. Villa were meant to be after him around the time we signed him but he was released in 2012.

I think TOBW's plagurising of Slumdog has something to do with a revenge mission for Slumdog having reported him for behind the goal hanging at a DVP game. I noticed TOBW, and his ilk, were up to his antics again vs Reading. He's lucky that the pre final whistle stampede he caused didn't get us docked points.

One thing I should have added to your Velikonja thread was that he delivered what was the single worst half time warm up performance I've ever seen. At Selhurst Park in the perfect sunshine. His passing didn't get within ninety degrees of its intended target. Not once. He also looked half dead after ten minutes of light stretching and maybe some self taught Slovenian yoga. And from the amount of times he fluffed his touch I came to the conclusion that he didn't have feet at all, but merely worn out stubs of some description. Was he just a "project" for one of Vinny T's "thanks a million schemes"? He will always remain a mystery and I expect I'll think about him even until my twilight years. I never had the bravery to post that until now. I expect I might not hear from you again for some time.
    You must have got him muddled up with Craig Noone.

Signed when he’d just turned 16, signed pro contact on hisb17th birthday and made his debut away to hull and scored a screamer in a 2-1 defeat.