+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Petition to try to stop the FA selling Wembley

Re: Petition to try to stop the FA selling Wembley

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Inaccessibility? Its in the middle of a feckin city centre!

No, there isn't anything special about the new Wembley Stadium, its an average modern stadium riding on the coattails of its predecessor. When its used as the stadium for the final of the Checkatrade Trophy and Tottenham Hotspur home game, it loses any kind of mystique it has in my view

Of course it matters where its located, an occasion such as a cup final isn't 90 minutes, its a full day, you don't want the stadium to be in the middle of nowhere

That final comment is a load of bollocks, the Millennium gets rave reviews from visiting fans and is known as a great venue to watch sport, be it football or rugby
    Yeah right - for big games, the City is gridlocked, the M4 blocked for miles each way and there is nowhere to park. Trains dont run for long after games and there are not enough buses. Also I repeat that the Millenium stadium is not a football stadium, the WRU dont want it there really and only their financial situation forces them to lease it out. My assessment, apparently unlike yours, of a stadium isnt based upon the proximity to bars and pubs where supporters can get bladdered before the game and thereby probably not remember what the stadium was like inside anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Every fan I've spoken to who's team has played at The Millennium said they preferred it to the New Wembley and would have the games back there at the drop of a hat.

Clearly the fans you've spoken to have the same rose tinted glasses as you.
    Nicholas Alt wrote in his book 'The boys from the Mersey' , sod Wembley, give the cup finals to the Taffs, he said the scousers loved it playing at the mill stad, they had nothing but praise for our fine city and the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yeah right - for big games, the City is gridlocked, the M4 blocked for miles each way and there is nowhere to park. Trains dont run for long after games and there are not enough buses. Also I repeat that the Millenium stadium is not a football stadium, the WRU dont want it there really and only their financial situation forces them to lease it out. My assessment, apparently unlike yours, of a stadium isnt based upon the proximity to bars and pubs where supporters can get bladdered before the game and thereby probably not remember what the stadium was like inside anyway.
    I'm confused are you saying it's ok for 75k rugby fans but there's too much traffic, not enough trains and nowhere to park for 75k football fans?

I didnt start the petition. I was just asking if anyone on here wanted to sign it. I had a feeling that I might be wasting my time because quite a few people on this board couldn't care less about the wider picture and history of the game. I know what Wembley meant to me as a child and still means to me now. I am Welsh and proud of it but have family and many friends in England. The world doesnt stop at the Severn Bridge like some people would have us believe.
    Equally, the world doesn't revolve around England as many people believe......or more acurately presume......or even more accurately, presume the rest of us believe.

Just noticed this on the government petition website. An effort to stop the American billionaire owner of Fulham grabbing the National Stadium and using it for his own ends. Anyone who feels like me that it shouldnt be sold to him can click on this link and add their details. It was renovated using 'our' public money and National Lottery funds.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/219222

Pass it on to other people as well if you can.
    I think they should take the cash, the Government should insist that the money is re-invested back into the game, from grass roots level right up to League One. There are plenty of good grounds that they can play at instead

Old Trafford - 77,000
    New White Hart Lane - 62,000
    Emirates - 60,000
    Olympic Stadium
    Anfield
    St James' Park
    Villa Park
    Hillsborough

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I'm confused are you saying it's ok for 75k rugby fans but there's too much traffic, not enough trains and nowhere to park for 75k football fans?
    No - its the same for both.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    That Shahid Khan bloke looks like a Bond movie villain from Splott Market

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Sorry but your information is wrong. In addition to the £120m lottery grant, another £41m of funding was provided by Government agencies (London Development Agency and Dept for Culture Media and Sport). £161m of the cost was therefore provided from the public.

👍

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Thought you were boycotting the Welsh games at the Mill Stad? Can’t be that good there.
    If that is aimed at me, yes I am. I didn't say I would have football matches there. It's immaterial now anyway, as Wales competitive games will be played at The CCS.