Two major things we discovered this season was that despite Zohore improving his game in many areas he could not be taught how to win aerial battles and the second being that, as a knock on effect (pun intended), playing Zohore with Tomlin as a duo would then leave us quite limited in terms of how we could work the ball up the field.

Playing Paterson in the hole was the discovery that made our season and it solved a lot of problems. But as others have said, it isn't likely to be so effective in the top flight across the whole season. I wonder if Neil's quip about Paterson not being able to defend was just a joke (that he repeated in a dozen press conferences), because he was happy for the time being utilising Paterson in the 10?

I think Warnock brought Nathaniel Clyne into the team at Palace. I'm sure there was another attacking type at QPR that I'm now forgetting. He certainly instructed the likes of Bennett to offload quickly and play the channels etc and the manager doesn't seem to like us messing around with the ball in our own half too much. In the championship working the ball up the pitch slowly without top class players in your side just allows the opposition to organise, it will be no different in the PL. I'm not sure Warnock is anti a "modern full back", but maybe what we've seen at Cardiff so far is short term defensive pragmatism as a priority. But one thing I think we must improve on for next season is the right hand side. I think we'll need an overlap possibility from right back otherwise we'll just get pinned back all the time.