+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff Airport

Cardiff Airport

I haven’t anything noticed posted but Cardiff airport recently released their 20 year masterplan. It includes a new terminal.

It’s been great from the WAG but can do more. Get rid of the bus, get a straight motorway link, a high speed train stop and sort out the black route on the M4.

In the short term let’s hope that the removal of the bridge tolls will encourage the resident airlines (especially the budget airlines like Ryanair) to add more routes, although I’d take a guess that everything’s on hold until well after Brexit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44864963

https://www.cardiff-airport.com/masterplan2040/

Re: Cardiff Airport

Would be great to see this become a reality.

Shame I don't see it having much impact on my route, think I will always have to fly out to Bristol whenever I head back to Cardiff with easyjet having a hub at both Geneva and Bristol. Unlikely this route would face much challenge. But hopefully it allows Cardiff to be better integrated with other short-haul European routes, its really suffered in the last 20 years whilst Bristol flourished.

Isn’t there a train line about a mile away? The m4 can’t be far either for a link. If it wants to become a proper hub it needs at least one of these I think

I just think Bristol has become a victim of its own success and outgrown itself. I find it a nightmare getting too and from there , and when your there it’s like a cattle market.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I just think Bristol has become a victim of its own success and outgrown itself. I find it a nightmare getting too and from there , and when your there it’s like a cattle market.
    Bang on with that observation. I flew July 1st and it was bonkers. 30 mins from arriving at Silverzone car park to terminal and don’t get me started on the multiple destination EasyJet check in which was a mare. Security used to be a bottleneck but to be fair that wasn’t bad. Always used to have a breakfast and a pint air side, but what used to be a ritual got shelved.

Does everyone call it Cardiff Airport? To me it will always be Rhoose. I'd call it Cardiff here or to an outsider but I'd feel weird calling it Cardiff Airport if I was in Barry.

I thought a spur off the railway line was part of the plan? And aren’t they doing something about the roads as part of the new Aston Martin factory ?

Quote Originally Posted by Liege'93 View Post
    Bang on with that observation. I flew July 1st and it was bonkers. 30 mins from arriving at Silverzone car park to terminal and don’t get me started on the multiple destination EasyJet check in which was a mare. Security used to be a bottleneck but to be fair that wasn’t bad. Always used to have a breakfast and a pint air side, but what used to be a ritual got shelved.
    I live in Cardiff. Always find it just as easy to get to Bristol as Rhoose. There are plenty of private parking companies within minutes of Bristol Airpirt. I always use them. Park up and they take you to airport in 2 minutes then pick you up on your return.

My last flight via Bristol, arrived 3 and half hours before check in closed, eventually had to pay extra for express security check, then had to jump the express security queue as boarding gate was closing and still had to run from security to boarding gate. Just got to gate in time and were last on the plane. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Watamistakatomaka View Post
    I live in Cardiff. Always find it just as easy to get to Bristol as Rhoose. There are plenty of private parking companies within minutes of Bristol Airpirt. I always use them. Park up and they take you to airport in 2 minutes then pick you up on your return.
    I used to use one of them until I witnessed a customer’s vehicle being used by an employee ferrying a group of us passengers (drivers) back to the compound to collect and the poor guy’s car got smacked under a barrier.

It's my local airport, 30 mins' drive and can't really complain at all. New, extensive security check area, automated passports on arrival. Parking next to the terminal is cheap enough if booked on-line in advance (and if it's charged to the Company!). Easyjet's "bag drop system" is the problem, not the airport. Have not used Rhoose for maybe 10 years, so can't compare it.

Never had any problems with the airport,worst thing is queues on the M4 Newport.

I use Cardiff Airport (Biggin Hill) 4-5 times a year. It should be levelled and rebuilt.

They should have left it in Tremorfa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Pengam_Moors

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    They should have left it in Tremorfa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Pengam_Moors
    My Nana worked over there during the war packing and unpacking planes