+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FT: ROTHERHAM 2 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: ROTHERHAM 2 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

That was very disjointed and disappointing.

Waite did OK in the first half (as did Ralls, Cunningham and Murphy). Kadeem was quite dangerous when he came on - well he was when he started putting crosses in rather than getting pushed over and appealing for fouls or penalties. Madine was denied a stonewall pelanty in the second half. But overall Rotherham deserved their win.

Most of them looked like they have only just seen a ball again this summer and barely got out of 2nd gear. I read that they are in Champneys in Leicestershire for a training camp this week. They must have gone to the one that kits them out in towelling robes and puts slices of cucumber on their eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    It's going to be a long season. While our relegation rivals are putting up impressive performances against quality opposition we have drawn against non league Torquay and lost to Rotherham. Of course these are early days - and you can't read too much into friendly results - but I would have at least expected better performances against the kind of opposition we have faced. Well done to the 200 or so supporters who travelled. I can't help feeling that we should have played more challenging games against better opposition so close to kick off date. Only one decent opposition side yet to face which is not ideal preparation.
    These are glorified training sessions.

We could win 10 nil each time and chances are it's going to still be a long season.

"Meek" is not a word any side would want to see applied to one of their performances, but, somehow, it seems worse to me when it's applied to this City team under this City manager. City's display last night is described as "meek" in the first sentence of this report;-

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-14953180

and it's the possibility that the reporter is right which concerns me more than the result. Take away the spirit that was so important to our promotion from this squad and they become half the team they were. Other sides may be able to rescue games in which they are being outbattled by a sublime moment of skill or a piece of individual brilliance, but it's less likely to happen with us because we're not made that way.

A draw at a side five levels below us and a defeat at a team newly promoted to the Championship are only minor concerns at this stage, but we could do with a performance at Burton on the weekend.

Re: ROTHERHAM v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    Is Waite a central midfielder? Maybe TOBW can shed some light? Perhaps Warnock thinks he's good enough as a squad/breakthrough player.
    Waite was playing left wing back in the last match I saw him play (the Welsh Youth Cup Final v the jacks at the Liberty) and I've also seen him play left and right midfield, central midfield and up front (even as a lone striker, which is some task for someone of his size), but Gringo has got it right about him (especially the bit about him being an unWarnock type player!) - I'd said number ten is his best position. He's a goalscoring number ten as well because he makes well timed forward runs and is a good finisher (if he gets a decent chance, you can be pretty sure that he will produce an effort on target at least).

Here's a video of Neil Warnock talking after the game in which he says he's still optimistic about getting Grujic - he also believes he is better suited to the Premier League.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...from-liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    That was very disjointed and disappointing.

Waite did OK in the first half (as did Ralls, Cunningham and Murphy). Kadeem was quite dangerous when he came on - well he was when he started putting crosses in rather than getting pushed over and appealing for fouls or penalties. Madine was denied a stonewall pelanty in the second half. But overall Rotherham deserved their win.

Most of them looked like they have only just seen a ball again this summer and barely got out of 2nd gear. I read that they are in Champneys in Leicestershire for a training camp this week. They must have gone to the one that kits them out in towelling robes and puts slices of cucumber on their eyes!
    Did you notice if they were trialing the cucumbers eye patches during the game , might explain the scoreline .

Anyway how dd Madine look , is he fitter , leaner and quicker to the pace of the ball ?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    "Meek" is not a word any side would want to see applied to one of their performances, but, somehow, it seems worse to me when it's applied to this City team under this City manager. City's display last night is described as "meek" in the first sentence of this report;-

and it's the possibility that the reporter is right which concerns me more than the result. Take away the spirit that was so important to our promotion from this squad and they become half the team they were. Other sides may be able to rescue games in which they are being outbattled by a sublime moment of skill or a piece of individual brilliance, but it's less likely to happen with us because we're not made that way.

A draw at a side five levels below us and a defeat at a team newly promoted to the Championship are only minor concerns at this stage, but we could do with a performance at Burton on the weekend.
    I wonder with the heat ,balanced with training and games coming quickly its still telling , and we dont want stupid squad injuries due to unnecessary effort , Rotherham and Torguay would have been well up for these games, where I'm guessing we had a gear we could go too ,and didn't .

You see loads of crazy results pre season

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

It's only a friendly but last night, especially the second half, was bad, really bad. I don't think 3-5-2 or 5-2-2-1 or whatever we were playing suited us particularly well in the first half but at least Ralls and Waite could put their foot on the ball. I honestly don't remember Paterson getting on the ball and Gunnar's passing was wayward as per. Hoilett played on the right, where I think he's half as effective as on the left as well. Rotherham wanted to win, and they're a week further along in their pre-season but last night wasn't good. As you say, we good do with playing well at Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    You can't read anything into friendly results.
    I haven't been watching football for over 60 years to know that. But I contend that playing teams such as Taffs Well, Tavistock, Bodmin, Torquay and Rotherham is far from ideal preparation for playing in the Premier league especially as our second and third home games are against Arsenal and Manchester City respectively. While Hudersfield beat Lyon and Bournemouth beat Levante the best opposition we could conjour up was Torquay and Rotherham. Even the fixtures yet to come play us against teams that are hardly Premier League opposition save for possibly Real Betis. Pretty poor preparation for a gruelling season in the Premier league.