+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Major bid for a striker - Revealed as Troy Deeney

Re: Major bid for a striker

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    There's no way we'd pay him that.
    I ageee. However he does have 3 years left on his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Nobody can be 100% right as some negotiations break down, deals get gazumped, players can have a last minute change of heart, etc..
    The recovery from a transplant takes quite a bit of time too.

Re: Major bid for a striker - Revealed as Troy Deeney

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Nice to see Rob following this board

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I ageee. However he does have 3 years left on his contract.
    Its only a couple of weeks ago the club were saying there was a strict wage structure. The club /NW also said they would only be looking for two loanees.

You got that wrong, NW has said he was looking for one loan and one permanent in midfield, he has said nothing about a striker for some time, loan or permanent

£15m for a 30yr old seems a bit steep to me especially as a fair proportion of his goals are penalties 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Watamistakatomaka View Post
    £15m for a 30yr old seems a bit steep to me especially as a fair proportion of his goals are penalties 🤔
    £15m doesn't get you a huge amount these days, especially for a striker. Albeit, I presume that £15m would be partially around goals/appearance/survival bonuses.

He'd be a massive character for our dressing room and give us that little bit of know-how, that we perhaps lack.

I'm still not convinced it will happen as now the news is out; it's potentially going to alert other suitors.

This is a great interview > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_48KTftAmeo

Would Charlie Austin be available for similar or less ? ( Genuinely have no idea)
    I’d always though he’d be perfect for us

Also, looked at top scorers in the Championship and there isn’t really anyone there that fits the bill.

Probably got as good as we could with Reid

Vydra could have been an option but we seem to be looking at a target man

Kodija maybe ? Or too risky with injuries ?

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    £15m doesn't get you a huge amount these days, especially for a striker. Albeit, I presume that £15m would be partially around goals/appearance/survival bonuses.

He'd be a massive character for our dressing room and give us that little bit of know-how, that we perhaps lack.

I'm still not convinced it will happen as now the news is out; it's potentially going to alert other suitors.

This is a great interview > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_48KTftAmeo
    Your right a charecter, someone who has been there,I think he is an ideal Warnock player , no nonsense , tough ,battler , proven scorer at this level .

I'd be shocked if he's on a 100k wage ?

I don't see why he's want to come here.

The money can't be much better.

He's got a safe gig at Watford.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Would Charlie Austin be available for similar or less ? ( Genuinely have no idea)
    I’d always though he’d be perfect for us
    I would love to see Austin here, but I can't see how he would be available at all... Surely he will be Southampton's first choice striker next season? His goals would be hard to replace for whatever they get for him and then their alternative options would be Long, Gabbiadini and Gallagher.

Long has completely forgotten where the goal is, Gabbiadini is inconsistent at best and Gallagher is completely unproven in the Premier League.

Even in the highly unlikely event that he did become available, there would likely be bigger clubs ahead of us in the queue for him.

I guess the support that was here for Dean Windass has disappeared. :)

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Its the old fairground trick
    Watch my right hand carefully whilst I uncover something else with my left

Edge of the seat stuff to discover the real target

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Alan Nixon in the S*n reporting we’ve £15m. Believe it when I see it but I’d be happy with that!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...ague-survival/
    To help us with our relegation battle? That’s a bit patronising. I’m hoping for champions league qualification

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I would love to see Austin here, but I can't see how he would be available at all... Surely he will be Southampton's first choice striker next season? His goals would be hard to replace for whatever they get for him and then their alternative options would be Long, Gabbiadini and Gallagher.

Long has completely forgotten where the goal is, Gabbiadini is inconsistent at best and Gallagher is completely unproven in the Premier League.

Even in the highly unlikely event that he did become available, there would likely be bigger clubs ahead of us in the queue for him.
    Fair enough. I didn’t watch the Prem closely last season ,so I don’t profess to being an expert, but when I saw Southampton he was either not involved or on the bench.
    Hence thinking he might be out of favour.

Maybe down to the injury he had.

Just shows how difficult it is to get a decent striker I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Your right a charecter, someone who has been there,I think he is an ideal Warnock player , no nonsense , tough ,battler , proven scorer at this level .

I'd be shocked if he's on a 100k wage ?

Watford fan I read said £65k plus bonuses

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Watford fan I read said £65k plus bonuses
    Even at that wage, as opposed to £100k a week, signing Deeney would be a dive back to 2013 policies and I thought there was agreement that we were better off not going there again?

Add in all of the new contracts with the increased wages to reflect Premier League status and the other signings we've made this summer and we'd still be in a position where someone on a wage like that would be on tens of thousands of pounds per week more than anyone else - would the team spirit, which is so often held up as our major asset, survive a disparity in wages like that?

I think it's also worth noting that Deeney has only scored nine Premier League goals in the last 18 months and five of those have been penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Even at that wage, as opposed to £100k a week, signing Deeney would be a dive back to 2013 policies and I thought there was agreement that we were better off not going there again?

Add in all of the new contracts with the increased wages to reflect Premier League status and the other signings we've made this summer and we'd still be in a position where someone on a wage like that would be on tens of thousands of pounds per week more than anyone else - would the team spirit, which is so often held up as our major asset, survive a disparity in wages like that?

I think it's also worth noting that Deeney has only scored nine Premier League goals in the last 18 months and five of those have been penalties.
    I was of the thinking that you’ve just got to pay what the market dictates - but, actually, think what that sort of money could achieve:

Stadium improvements so it looks more like a football stadium and less like an Amazon warehouse.

Getting rid of those red seats

Academy improvements

Community projects - building the fan base of tomorrow

Project to increase the diversity of fan base

Cheaper tickets

A statue of Toby Philiskirk - or someone else

Charity donations

Just lob it in the bank until such time we really need it

Or we could just spend £15m on Troy Deeney and hope the 4 goals he will inevitably score are significant

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I thought the last time we went up that Troy Deeney would have made the perfect signing then, a strong hungry Championship striker scoring frequently for what at the time was a mid table Watford side and probably available at that time for less than half the £8mio we paid for Cornelius, I was surprised with Malky's Watford connection we didn't go for him at the time.

30 isn't too old but he hasn't been in good goal scoring form for the last 12 months so not sure he's the answer but £15mio, especially for a striker, doesn't seem to get you much these days

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Which would give us 3 strikers of the same type. I was hoping we'd also get a quick nippy striker to enable us to change our attacking tactics if needed. However, he fits the leader and warrior type of player NW favours. It also seems a lot of money for a striker who seems to have lost some of his menace in recent years, but happy to give him the benefit of the doubt if he comes...
    But only one of them has been successful in the Premier League. Madine didn't even prove himself in the Championship last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    But only one of them has been successful in the Premier League. Madine didn't even prove himself in the Championship last season.
    He scored 12 goals for relegation battling Bolton. His confidence was shot for us, give him a chance man!

Same goes for Zohore, scored 10+ goals in half a season before the last, and I don't know if you realise but... we did go up... His impact last season has been incredibly understated. Got every faith Zohore will come good.

Agree that signing Deeney is a huge step in the wrong direction. £15 million will get us someone who can do about the same job as two strikers we already have.