+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Major bid for a striker - Revealed as Troy Deeney

Re: Major bid for a striker - Revealed as Troy Deeney

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I was of the thinking that you’ve just got to pay what the market dictates - but, actually, think what that sort of money could achieve:

Stadium improvements so it looks more like a football stadium and less like an Amazon warehouse.

Getting rid of those red seats

Academy improvements

Community projects - building the fan base of tomorrow

Project to increase the diversity of fan base

Cheaper tickets

A statue of Toby Philiskirk - or someone else

Charity donations

Just lob it in the bank until such time we really need it

Or we could just spend £15m on Troy Deeney and hope the 4 goals he will inevitably score are significant
    Ah, Toby Philiskirk, Tony’s public school cousin........... or is it his cocker spaniel?😂😂😂

Re: Major bid for a striker

Quote Originally Posted by pgbluebird View Post
    He scored 12 goals for relegation battling Bolton. His confidence was shot for us, give him a chance man!

Same goes for Zohore, scored 10+ goals in half a season before the last, and I don't know if you realise but... we did go up... His impact last season has been incredibly understated. Got every faith Zohore will come good.

Agree that signing Deeney is a huge step in the wrong direction. £15 million will get us someone who can do about the same job as two strikers we already have.
    Good lord, now you tell me!

Watford have a strict wage structure, Deeney was on the 2nd band of that structure on £45k / week for the 16/17 season. He signed a new 5 year contract in 2016, worth £11.7M various bonuses will probably be on top of that.

I can't see that raising to £65k in 2 years and certainly not £100k.

I'd prefer Rondon, at the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Even at that wage, as opposed to £100k a week, signing Deeney would be a dive back to 2013 policies and I thought there was agreement that we were better off not going there again?

Add in all of the new contracts with the increased wages to reflect Premier League status and the other signings we've made this summer and we'd still be in a position where someone on a wage like that would be on tens of thousands of pounds per week more than anyone else - would the team spirit, which is so often held up as our major asset, survive a disparity in wages like that?

I think it's also worth noting that Deeney has only scored nine Premier League goals in the last 18 months and five of those have been penalties.
    Are we paying for PL experience though? An older steady head to lead from the front, I believe we have plenty from the back already....

Just out of interest, over the last 3 Premiership seasons, the only players outside of the top 6 clubs who have finished in the top 10 Premier League goalscorers, Vardy & Mahrez, Defoe, Ighalo, Deeney, King, Llorente, Benteke, Murray. The other 14 on the list all play for top 6 clubs. So like it or not, Deeney is in exclusively limited company.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Are we paying for PL experience though? An older steady head to lead from the front, I believe we have plenty from the back already....
    Shouldn't we be paying for goals though? We know exactly what we'll get with Deeney... big, bruising style of centre forward whose goal scoring record in the Premier League is, I'd say, quite poor (especially since a large percentage of those goals have come from penalties). There's no evidence that it's going to get better now.

It sounds strange, but if the options were Deeney or someone who's unproven in the Premier League (someone who has still scored goals elswhere, obviously), I'd take a punt on the unproven striker. At least there's the chance that they could step up and make a big difference - whereas we know Deeney will get a couple of goals, a few bookings (maybe a red) and put in a shift.

He's a good player on his day, but he's not the goalscorer we need. We might as well play Madine if this is who we're looking at... and I can't believe that I've just typed that. I need a lie down.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Just out of interest, over the last 3 Premiership seasons, the only players outside of the top 6 clubs who have finished in the top 10 Premier League goalscorers, Vardy & Mahrez, Defoe, Ighalo, Deeney, King, Llorente, Benteke, Murray. The other 14 on the list all play for top 6 clubs. So like it or not, Deeney is in exclusively limited company.
    Interesting how many of them are ‘target men’, suggests perhaps that that is the way to take the bigger clubs on ?

Heisenberg

Troy Deeney

17/18: 29 apps 5 goals (3 pens)
    16/17: 37 apps 10 goals (3 pens)
    15/16: 38 apps 13 goals (6 pens)

There's definitely signs of a steady decline judging by those stats.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Interesting how many of them are ‘target men’, suggests perhaps that that is the way to take the bigger clubs on ?
    Possibly. But how do we know who they scored their goals against?

Edit: I posted something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Troy Deeney

Did he create the penalties

Mitrovic 10 Premiership goals in total £22M rising to £27M
    Austin 14 Premiership goals in the last 3 seasons
    Rondon 24 Premiership goals in the last 3 seasons (my choice)
    Andre Grey 14 in 2 seasons
    Benteke 27 in the last 3
    Dwight Gayle 14 in his last 3 seasons
    Jay Rodiguez 12 in the last 3
    Jon Walters 17 in his last 3 (exc last season)
    Peter Crouch 12 in the last 3

Troy Deeney 28 in the last 3

I can only find Vardy & Josh King outside of the top 6 clubs who have scored more. I'm surprised but value for money he's up there!

More than 1 striker option.. allegedly.

Think Deeney would be my choice. Though I've not heard the other names .

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    More than 1 striker option.. allegedly.

Think Feeney would be my choice. Though I've not heard the other names .
    Warren Feeney😱

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Warren Feeney��
    Dunno what you mean..

Troy Deeney

\very similar stats for last season to Tammy Abrahams

Dunno what you mean..
    James Vaughan is the other, consider yourself in the know now Dan...

Heisenberg

Benteke 27 in the last 3

I can only find Vardy & Josh King outside of the top 6 clubs who have scored more. I'm surprised but value for money he's up there!
    I have to disagree, sorry. Deeney's goals all but dried up last season. In my opinion we can't sign strikers based on their previous form from 2-3 years ago, otherwise we might as well go for Andre Ayew, Shane Long, Saido Berahino, Papiss Cisse and others of that ilk - who had 1 or 2 great seasons but now look well past it.

I wouldn't want a quarter of the players you've listed and of the ones that I rate:

Austin hasn't had 3 full seasons. He was signed in January 2016 and played a grand total of 209 mins in the Premier League that year. His injuries are a massive problem but there's no doubting his ability. His goals:minutes ratio is better that 1 in every 2 games.

Mitrovic has youth on his side and can still improve. His goals:minutes ratio in the Premier League is better than Deeney's (1:227 compared to 1:288)

Rodriguez has had some serious injuries too and has also been used a wide forward for the majority of the games that he has played in the last few years. I wouldn't want to sign him as a lone striker.

S'all about opinons though

I have to disagree, sorry. Deeney's goals all but dried up last season. In my opinion we can't sign strikers based on their previous form from 2-3 years ago, otherwise we might as well go for Andre Ayew, Shane Long, Saido Berahino, Papiss Cisse and others of that ilk - who had 1 or 2 great seasons but now look well past it.

I wouldn't want a quarter of the players you've listed and of the ones that I rate:

Austin hasn't had 3 full seasons. He was signed in January 2016 and played a grand total of 209 mins in the Premier League that year. His injuries are a massive problem but there's no doubting his ability. His goals:minutes ratio is better that 1 in every 2 games.

Mitrovic has youth on his side and can still improve. His goals:minutes ratio in the Premier League is better than Deeney's (1:227 compared to 1:288)

Rodriguez has had some serious injuries too and has also been used a wide forward for the majority of the games that he has played in the last few years. I wouldn't want to sign him as a lone striker.

S'all about opinons though
    Not sure what you're disagreeing with to be honest, just put down some stats. As I've put above & elsewhere, Rondon would be my choice. Similar fee, similar type of player, similar goal ratio & 2 years younger. The problem is £15M is the starting point for a striker at the moment. If Deeney was 2 or 3 years younger I'd be fully behind this.

I still don't count out Dwight Gayle but with Newcastle buying & selling, a loan option now looks to be off the table as he may be the make weight in the Rondon to Newcastle switch.

Possibly. But how do we know who they scored their goals against?

Edit: I posted something stupid.
    Benteke 27 in the last 3

14 of Deeney's goals have been penalties and there's been a significant drop off since his first season, where he got 13 goals, compared to last season, where he scored 5

That's a player who's declining, not value for money IMO

Heisenberg

Not sure what you're disagreeing with to be honest, just put down some stats. As I've put above & elsewhere, Rondon would be my choice. Similar fee, similar type of player, similar goal ratio & 2 years younger. The problem is £15M is the starting point for a striker at the moment. If Deeney was 2 or 3 years younger I'd be fully behind this.

I still don't count out Dwight Gayle but with Newcastle buying & selling, a loan option now looks to be off the table as he may be the make weight in the Rondon to Newcastle switch.
    Ah right, sorry. I was disagreeing with you saying that he's "value for money"

I hope it's not Deeney, too old, too fat, too expensive. Warnock seems to be not very good ant signing strikers.

Let’s Back Zohore and Madine. If they score and perform then we have increased their value and saved 15 million plus wages on Deeney. If they don’t score and perform we still save 15 million on Deeney. It’s midfielders we need. Not a striker.

Dunno what you mean..
    Mob, mob before the correction😂😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Let’s Back Zohore and Madine.
    That's a joke, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    That's a joke, right?
    No. It’s called Supporting the club. Rather than rubbishing players and branding them not good enough.