Harry Arter

This has been mentioned previously, but £10 million

https://twitter.com/tombarclay_/stat...220338693?s=21

Re: Harry Arter

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post

Not a huge amount
    for a decent player ,don't think wages would be off the wall either .

It just one if those things you aren't going to get much for 10 mill now.

Sometimes it might be better spending more money on a player who you are going to get a fee on if they move on.

I'd like to see Chris brunt here can cover a few positions and has exceptional delivery from dead balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post

People were talking about £15m for Deeney last week .

£10m for Arter shows how crazy transfer fees are now, but in this market he would be a good signing at that price for Cardiff. He's not going to transfer any team from a bottom 3 cert to a 17th place contender though.

Good player, probably what we need, puts his foot in and can pass.
    10 million isn't expensive

44 hours ... Arter, Gosling, Huddlestone, a West Brom player, a Burnley player, a Newcastle player & Negredo ...

who wants to roll the dice? 3 from 7 or anyone want to add a joker?

Oops, I forgot Grujic ... ask Mark Twain about exaggeration.

He is what we need, they've got us bang to rights and we need to pay it.

Who says they will accept £10m ?

Can’t see this happening unfortunately

What happened to spending within our means ?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    44 hours ... Arter, Gosling, Huddlestone, a West Brom player, a Burnley player, a Newcastle player & Negredo ...

who wants to roll the dice? 3 from 7 or anyone want to add a joker?
    I'm going to go for Arter and Gosling for a combined total of £10M + add-ons dependent on survival, etc.

Bournemouth might want more but they've only got 44 hours to sell 2 players, so also can't play hard-ball too much as they need to cover their new player coming in

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

People have started panicking over things they have no control over

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I'm going to go for Arter and Gosling for a combined total of £10M + add-ons dependent on survival, etc.

Bournemouth might want more but they've only got 44 hours to sell 2 players, so also can't play hard-ball too much as they need to cover their new player coming in
    Lewis Cook, Lerma, Gosling, Arter and Surman are their central midfield options now. I can't see why they would want to sell any two of them without first finding a replacement. 2 players for each position on the pitch tend to be the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Lewis Cook, Lerma, Gosling, Arter and Surman are their central midfield options now. I can't see why they would want to sell any two of them without first finding a replacement. 2 players for each position on the pitch tend to be the rule.
    Good point, well made. I wish to withdraw my prediction...

Pugh. Stanislas, Fraser, Mahoney, Ibe, Hyndman & they're still after Ritchie

they effectively told him to find another club at the stat of the season:

today's paper:
    "Playing football is my only goal this year and while I have worked hard to get to the Premier League, being at a club where I am not playing is not something I am interested in doing,"

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Pugh. Stanislas, Fraser, Mahoney, Ibe, Hyndman & they're still after Ritchie

they effectively told him to find another club at the stat of the season:

today's paper:
    "Playing football is my only goal this year and while I have worked hard to get to the Premier League, being at a club where I am not playing is not something I am interested in doing,"
    Pugh is a left sided player
    Stanislas is a winger
    Fraser is a winger/converted wingback
    Mahoney... who?
    Ibe is a winger
    Hyndman is a central midfielder... but has he even played in the Premier League? He's certainly not going to be an option.
    Ritchie is a winger

My point still stands. They have 5 first team central midfielders so can't really afford to lose two of them, imo.

Just seen him at neath hospital

I would argue that anything at or below a total spend of £40 million is spending within our means as long as the wages are not mad..

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I would argue that anything at or below a total spend of £40 million is spending within our means as long as the wages are not mad..
    There's money there if it's needed I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Is it though ?

None of us actually know what we have to play with.

We still have some sizeable wages to pay for players who aren’t in the picture.. O’Keefe, Tomlin, Pilkington etc..

Then there is the extra money we have to fork out for Madine, which everyone has discounted from our spending.

I hope you are right and that we have got more to spend, I’d like to see 2-3 more in but it just seems to have gone from ‘brilliant work , getting in young and hungry players’ a few weeks back to all out panic now, since it’s emerged Grujic isn’t coming.

And even then decent players we are being linked with are apparently not good enough.

Heisenberg

Is it though ?

None of us actually know what we have to play with.
    We have some idea of what "we have to play with" though. By all accounts, we have the lowest wage bill in the league by some distance and are set to receive approximately £100m this season from TV rights alone. I think spending 40% of that on transfer fees is well within our means in order to try to remain in the league so that we can receive another £100m next season.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Just seen him at neath hospital
    I saw his yacht sail into the Neath Waterside Village .

We have some idea of what "we have to play with" though. By all accounts, we have the lowest wage bill in the league by some distance and are set to receive approximately £100m this season from TV rights alone. I think spending 40% of that on transfer fees is well within our means in order to try to remain in the league so that we can receive another £100m next season.
    It will be interesting to see if we bring anyone in before Friday. If not, my suspicion is that after our initial burst of transfer activity the club has got cold feet about spending more on fees/loans..

In fairness you are using guesswork (‘I think’) and assumption (‘by all accounts’) here.

We have no idea what is actually available and that is just fine.

FWIW I hope we have got enough for an Arter, but we can’t just presume it

Heisenberg

In fairness you are using guesswork (‘I think’) and assumption (‘by all accounts’) here.

We have no idea what is actually available and that is just fine.

FWIW I hope we have got enough for an Arter, but we can’t just presume it
    Absolutely it's guess work, based on the figures that we do know about.

I don't think it's much of an assumption that our wage bill is the lowest in the league by some distance considering it's been reported in numerous circles (rightly or wrongly) that it's half the amount of Huddersfield's. Since Manga is supposedly on £24,000 p/w and is our highest earner, I'm happy to believe the stories that are circling.

Anyway, I was just agreeing with TOBW that it shouldn't be much of a risk to spend £40m on transfers as it's less than half of the TV money, plus there are other avenues of income to supplement our finances and the potential rewards are huge if we stay up.

£40m really isn't much in the grand scheme of things either... It's approximately 4 Bobby Reid's or 8 Alex Smithies.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It will be interesting to see if we bring anyone in before Friday. If not, my suspicion is that after our initial burst of transfer activity the club has got cold feet about spending more on fees/loans..
    Its would have nothing to do with 'getting cold feet' as you put it. Its more about setting a budget and sticking to it - which surely is the best way to go about it, bearing in mind previous experiences. Hopefully the budget is a bit more than the £24m already spent and we will be able to get someone else in but if not then a midfield of Ralls, Gunnarsson, Murphy, Reid and/or Patterson/NML wouldnt look to bad to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Its would have nothing to do with 'getting cold feet' as you put it. Its more about setting a budget and sticking to it - which surely is the best way to go about it....
    Absolutely; and spot on.

Warlock publicly set a limit of £20m and has already spent £24m and looks like spending at least a total of £34m.

A bit like Mrs Cyclops actually.