+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Oliver

Re: Michael Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I don’t think anybody is saying that the referee influenced the result.
    That's good because he clearly didn't. Oliver had a really good game. He got all of the major decisions right and almost all of the minor decisions right too. He was too lenient with Gunnarsson, who was utterly awful on the night, but apart from that I couldn't find any fault with the referee's performance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Some people need to learn the rules themselves before chastising the referee so it seems.
    Hey ho we all learn something every day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    A classic CCMB moment.

dml1954 has had an absolute shocker here.
    Not for the first time, and certainly won’t be the last.

Ironically he calls Oliver “biased” but it’s his bias towards City and effort to defend them at all costs which often leads to him making a complete and utter fool of himself.

I don’t think anybody is saying that the referee influenced the result.

There does seem to be some inconsistency in what some refs will blow for compared to others.

Oliver seemed to blow for every strong challenge whereas the lad at Watford let it go.

Perhaps our back room staff need to do some analysis of how to play to the refs in future as we don’t seem to be able to read their interpretations well
    You can’t just keep allowing blatant fouls to go for the flow of the game?!?!

It’s not like there was strong challenges where the ball was won by City going punished. Most strong challenges were clear fouls and we were nowhere near the ball.

Gunnarsson was persistently fouling and a lot of referees would have shown far less patience with him than Oliver did.

It’s not like there was strong challenges where the ball was won by City going punished. Most strong challenges were clear fouls and we were nowhere near the ball.

Gunnarsson was persistently fouling and a lot of referees would have shown far less patience with him than Oliver did.
    In fairness its not our jobs as fans to know such changes and im happy to say I learned a new law.

However as has been pointed out our players didn't seem to know as they carried on arguing when the ball was in play and united almost scored. Warnock who had plenty to say about trainee refs last week did the same.

They should know better frankly and while it had no impact on the result for me it showed we are out of our depth. We don't have the best players so we must get things like that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    In fairness its not our jobs as fans to know such changes and im happy to say I learned a new law.

However as has been pointed out our players didn't seem to know as they carried on arguing when the ball was in play and united almost scored. Warnock who had plenty to say about trainee refs last week did the same.

They should know better frankly and while it had no impact on the result for me it showed we are out of our depth. We don't have the best players so we must get things like that right.
    It annoys me that the players don't know. The refs visit every squad in pre season to explain any rule changes and clarify existing ones.

I expect they all think it's a joke.

Seemed to me that similar challenges at a Watford were going unpunished.

I can’t point to specifics without running the game back, but there were a few occasions where he’s given soft free kicks and that was the feeling I had being at both games.

As I said above we need to learn that some refs as more lenient than others and play to it.

Some people need to learn the rules themselves before chastising the referee so it seems.
    When you say ‘some people’, do you mean the 20000+ actually at the game who obviously didnt know any new rule as they all had a go at Oliver for about 10 minutes after. There is nothing worse than a know all who pretends he knows the rule after the event. Welcome back to trolling my posts by the way - nothing better to do again ?

Not for the first time, and certainly won’t be the last.

Ironically he calls Oliver “biased” but it’s his bias towards City and effort to defend them at all costs which often leads to him making a complete and utter fool of himself.
    Do you want me to apologise for being biased towards the team I support !!. Whereas you of course constantly moan and whinge about anything Cardiff City and stick your nose into other peoples threads just to cause arguments. The actions of a grade A hypocrite and a prat.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    There is nothing worse than a know all who pretends he knows the rule after the event.
    How about a know-all who accuses a referee of bias and incompetence and calls for him to be severely censured when, in fact, the referee was correct and the know-all was hopelessly wrong on all counts?

Seemed to me that similar challenges at a Watford were going unpunished.

I can’t point to specifics without running the game back, but there were a few occasions where he’s given soft free kicks and that was the feeling I had being at both games.

As I said above we need to learn that some refs as more lenient than others and play to it.
    You’re clutching at straws.

Michael Oliver has turned into a fine young referee, probably the best we have in this country.

Do you want me to apologise for being biased towards the team I support !!. Whereas you of course constantly moan and whinge about anything Cardiff City and stick your nose into other peoples threads just to cause arguments. The actions of a grade A hypocrite and a prat.
    The irony of you calling someone a hypocrite and a prat is truly astounding

Did 20,000 come onto the Internet last night and make a complete and utter fool of themselves?

You’re clutching at straws.

Michael Oliver has turned into a fine young referee, probably the best we have in this country.
    Think you’ve missed the point.
    I’ll try one last time.

I’m not criticising the ref.
    I’m not saying he influenced the result.

What I AM saying is that there is a certain amount of inconsistency, and understable , given we are dealing with humans... and we would be well advised to look into this when putting together a game plan.

Maybe we do, but it doesn’t appear that way.

Think you’ve missed the point.
    I’ll try one last time.

I’m not criticising the ref.
    I’m not saying he influenced the result.

What I AM saying is that there is a certain amount of inconsistency, and understable , given we are dealing with humans... and we would be well advised to look into this when putting together a game plan.

Maybe we do, but it doesn’t appear that way.
    I knew what you were saying the first twice you said, I choose to ignore it and concentrate on your unfair criticsm of Oliver instead as I thought maybe you were still pissed.

Putting a game plan together depending on the referee? WTF?!??

What will our game plan be if Mike Deans refereeing? Not turn up?

Worst decision of the game was giving us a penalty and that wasn’t even him who gave it, it was the linesman.
    Harsh penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Worst decision of the game was giving us a penalty and that wasn’t even him who gave it, it was the linesman.
    Harsh penalty.
    Yes when I saw motd today Oliver kind of shrugged his shoulders and pointed at his assistant when they tried to complain to him.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

We chased shadows all evening, and even Warnock didn’t try and blame the refereee for once we were that badly beaten.
    End of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    A classic CCMB moment.

dml1954 has had an absolute shocker here.
    Nooooooooooooooooo!
    Statto's never wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Harsh penalty.
    Why was it harsh? He leaned into the ball with his upper arm and steered it away from the penalty area, Correct decision.

To my mind (having watched both incidents over a number of times) it was much clearer than the Man U penalty. Sol didn't complain much (though Warnock did) but the contact was no more than a slight brush at worst. That was the harsh one!

I knew what you were saying the first twice you said, I choose to ignore it and concentrate on your unfair criticsm of Oliver instead as I thought maybe you were still pissed.

Putting a game plan together depending on the referee? WTF?!??

Is that your debate then.

Just pure ignorance.

It's hard not to be baised in favour of your team. I get it. But you undertsand that bias puts you in the wrong right? Bias negates your argument. And you take it to extremes. "100% effort", "enjoy the ride," blah blah blah. We were totally ****ing humiliated yesterday.

You need to clear your head, accept what is real and deal with it.

Is that your debate then.

Just pure ignorance.
    It’s not a point worthy of any sensible debate.

We barely have a meaningful game plan as it is, it doesn’t even look like we work on a plan to negate or expose the oppositions strengths and weaknesses, and you want to confuse the players even further by making the referees style part of the game preparations?!?!? LMFAO

I thought we've had far worse refs than that.

tickled me that did

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

I have been watching City since 1964 and tonight I saw the most inexplicable refereeing decision that I have ever seen. Josh Murphy was caught offside upfield about 15 metres into the Utd half and the referee blew up and gave the free kick. He then let Ashley Young take the kick about 15 metres inside Citys half and waived play on when our players complained. There is no reasonable explanation for this other than bias or incompetence (or both). Utd could easily have scored from it. He should be severely censured by the Referees Association and Premier League for this. Not the only bad decision by him and his linesman during the game either. He then compounded all this in the second half when he blew up because we took a free kick about 3 metres from the correct place and made us take it again.

Murphy made a move for the ball in his own half after coming back from an offside position.

The free kick was awarded where the offence took place - about 10 yards inside the defensive half.

Correct decision by Oliver.

Quite straightforward really!