+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A few myths about the Premier League put to bed now?

A few myths about the Premier League put to bed now?

(1) That you get more time on the ball (unless you're a top 6 side playing us!)...

We've been pressed in this league more than we ever were in the Championship. The opposition are swarming all over us when we finally gain possession.

(2) That they (Premier players) can't cope with the physical aspect of the game, that you can easily rough them up, they're just a bunch of overpaid prima donnas after all...

The Premier doesn't have too many Mickey Droy lookalikes (one for the oldies!) but the defenders are physically strong and it's why the likes of Morrison/Bamba/Paterson are not scoring from our set-pieces like they were in the Championship.

Re: A few myths about the Premier League put to bed now?

Great points and i was thinking the same.

Other teams are not only more skilful than us they are much stronger and more physical. The top teams really do have everything.

The gap between us and the top 6 is so large those games are barely worth bothering with now.

It basically gives us a 26 game season to get the 40 points. I am glad we dont play the reserves v the top sides- which is what happens in la liga- but i can understand why teams may choose to do so.

Seen a post yesterday about sending Madine on to rough them up. Davidson Sanchez is a monster, it would take more than Madine to ruffle him.

Look at Sissoko in the middle of the park compared to our midfield too. He’s the size of Sol but is actually decent on the ball and run with it too.

As Paterson didnt do a great deal defensively i'm assuming we played Paterson out wide so we could exploit Danny Rose at the back post. That worked well too!

I read an article by some football scouts a few years ago that also rubbished the notion that players get more time on the ball in the premier league compared to the championship.
    They said the only real difference beyond overall quality was the way the two leagues are refereed. With refs in the championship more likely to allow play to go on where it would have been a free kick in the premier league.

I’ve noticed how in so many games we seem to be winning very little ball in the air.

Even the small players in the Prem can jump.

Also, clever harassing of players on the ball, pushing, pulling etc.. but with so much going on the refs can’t catch it.

We got the benefit of that last season, but this year we are being schooled in how to hassle a player off the ball without giving free kicks away

Maybe there’s less difference these days as a lot of championship sides try to get the ball down and play, and also press when out of possession.

Yes the likes of us and Burnley have got out of the division in recent times playing a more traditional game. Get it forward quickly and try and win the 2nd ball, and placing big emphasis on set pieces, but now there’s more teams playing their way out of the division than ever before.

Wolves, Fulham, Newcastle, Bournemouth and Watford, even as far back as Swansea, have all got promoted playing with a certain style.

Of the current top 10 in the championship it’s only
    Middlesbrough who are traditional, then Sheff U and Birmingham mix it up, but the rest are all good football sides with a modern footballing philosophy.

10 man Leeds capitulated yesterday but at 1-0 down with a man less, the football they played to get themselves 2-1 in front was stunning.