+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T homeless in town

O/T homeless in town

Getting ridiculous now, I feel for those that legitimately have nowhere else to go but many of them do. Tents popping up everywhere also, I didn't even think that would legally be allowed. The state of the area around them.

I don't want people on the streets full stop but it's getting out of hand. Will be like Glastonbury on St Mary Street soon, has to have a negative impact on the local economy.

Re: O/T homeless in town

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Getting ridiculous now, I feel for those that legitimately have nowhere else to go but many of them do. Tents popping up everywhere also, I didn't even think that would legally be allowed. The state of the area around them.

I don't want people on the streets full stop but it's getting out of hand. Will be like Glastonbury on St Mary Street soon, has to have a negative impact on the local economy.
    Slightly off topic but there's a guy who sits outside my local Co-op. He looks really down and out in filthy clothes and sitting on a blanket. I've seen him about 200yds away after he's 'knocked off'. All his tatty gear stored in a bright yellow rucksack, and he's wearing completely different gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Do you really think people would choose to live in a tent in Queen Street if they had somewhere else to live?

I’m alright Jack

Many have been offered places but are so deconditioned to live in houses that they choose to live on the streets sadly.

Funny that whenever the Tories get in homelessness goes through the roof isn't it? It's almost as if cutting whacking great holes in societies safety nets means that people fall through them far quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Many have been offered places but are so deconditioned to live in houses that they choose to live on the streets sadly.
    Some are vulnerable and wouldn’t have the first clue how to run a household

These people need help to get over the hump of getting into a place. It's no good saying hear is a place, get on with it, they need support for a good few months until they get into the swing of things. It's the same as the poor people who are lucky enough to get a stint in re hab then find themselves back on the streets, well we all know what happens then.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Do you really think people would choose to live in a tent in Queen Street if they had somewhere else to live?
    Guy found dead on st Mary Street the other week had a room in a bed sit but didn’t like it apparently. The tents def make the public more aware of it, it kind of looks shocking and forces you to notice. Can’t see the council putting up with it for much longer as it’s not the image it wants for Wales premier shopping place.
    Do they have tents in Bristol London main streets also or is it just here?

Some would.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    These people need help to get over the hump of getting into a place. It's no good saying hear is a place, get on with it, they need support for a good few months until they get into the swing of things. It's the same as the poor people who are lucky enough to get a stint in re hab then find themselves back on the streets, well we all know what happens then.

Exactly, 2 months is nowhere near enough, it can take years. Good documentary on Netflix about a farmer who took kids in to help them and give them self worth etc. They did great whilst with him, but as soon as they were back into society they began to delve back into old habits.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Slightly off topic but there's a guy who sits outside my local Co-op. He looks really down and out in filthy clothes and sitting on a blanket. I've seen him about 200yds away after he's 'knocked off'. All his tatty gear stored in a bright yellow rucksack, and he's wearing completely different gear.
    I've seen the same guy getting into a chauffer driven Rolls Royce.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I've seen the same guy getting into a chauffer driven Rolls Royce.
    He lives in a 6 bedroom house next door to me. He earns at least £50k a week begging.

I know for a fact some do yes, they prefer to be out begging. Many get offered floor space at hostels but would rather be in a tent. Also I know some are professional beggars, probably not in tents but during the evening they are out in force.

I tried to help a homeless guy a few yrs ago. I used to pass him when I was on a certain job in town. I gave him cash quite often, stopped to talk to him quite often as well. His name was Tyrone. I gave him boots and a coat, but a few days later I found out he’d sold both to buy alcohol. I offered to take him in my van to an AA meeting and also to try and get him some help via Cardiff city council. But he wasn’t that interested. Not sure how he’s doing these days or if he’s even still alive.

Quite an informative Wales Online article from last month about the tents, etc, problems in Cardiff - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/h...entre-15506171

It does seem that those who kip on the streets choose to. How do you help someone who refuses to be helped?

As for beggars, I presume all of them either want dough to fund their addictions or are actors pretending to be skint while pocketing a tax free income. All those who approach me get a straight Foxtrot Oscar whether they be young, old, male or female. Same goes for the just as annoying chuggers and utility sales people who are always out in force along Queen Street.

A friend of mine does some work with the homeless in Cardiff. He says that most of them feel safer on the street than in the Huggard centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Don't talk utter crap.

I work in Newport, and I would say the problem is a lot worse there. Every disused shop doorway has someone in there every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    Most sensible post yet.