+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FT: WALES 25 - 7 IRELAND. Grand Slam winners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: FT: WALES 25 - 7 IRELAND. Grand Slam winners

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    This Welsh team has won the Slam playing in second gear. There is plenty more to come from this side. They can win the World Cup and Gatland knows that.
    I'm not so sure that we have much more to give as an attacking force - any team in the world would miss Falletau, but do we have anyone who can come in and make us more of an attacking threat?

If you leave aside the 74-24 romp against Tonga in November, it is now eleven matches, and more than a year, since Wales scored more than two tries in a game - I don't think you can be in "second gear" for that long and then start carrying a real try scoring threat when you come to a World Cup.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm not so sure that we have much more to give as an attacking force - any team in the world would miss Falletau, but do we have anyone who can come in and make us more of an attacking threat?

If you leave aside the 74-24 romp against Tonga in November, it is now eleven matches, and more than a year, since Wales scored more than two tries in a game - I don't think you can be in "second gear" for that long and then start carrying a real try scoring threat when you come to a World Cup.
    But it isn't the tries that are winning matches, it's the defence. It is awesome. I was listening to an English player during the week and he said, "If you score a try against this welsh team you know you deserved it" implying the huge effort required to do it.
    That defence also throws up the penalties that drive the opposition back into their own half and when we are already in their half give Anscombe the chances to hit those kicks.We will miss Shaun Edwards as much as Gatland. I think he should be man of the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But it isn't the tries that are winning matches, it's the defence. It is awesome. I was listening to an English player during the week and he said, "If you score a try against this welsh team you know you deserved it" implying the huge effort required to do it.
    That defence also throws up the penalties that drive the opposition back into their own half and when we are already in their half give Anscombe the chances to hit those kicks.We will miss Shaun Edwards as much as Gatland. I think he should be man of the tournament.
    A try scoring record like we have means, to me anyway, that we are not a well enough rounded team to win a World Cup - our defence might be very good, but we didn't keep one "clean sheet" as far as tries conceded in this season's six nations (in fact we only scored two more than our opponents).

Actually, I've just realised that we did score three tries, with considerable assistance from the opposition, against France, but I think the point I'm trying to make about our lack of try scoring potential still stands.

A try scoring record like we have means, to me anyway, that we are not a well enough rounded team to win a World Cup - our defence might be very good, but we didn't keep one "clean sheet" as far as tries conceded in this season's six nations (in fact we only scored two more than our opponents).

Actually, I've just realised that we did score three tries, with considerable assistance from the opposition, against France, but I think the point I'm trying to make about our lack of try scoring potential still stands.
    I can’t say I agree with you bob, we can play any form of rugby we have 2 of the worlds best place kickers, the players we have out injured is phenomenal and for the first time I can remember we are actually patient and can go through a ridiculous amount phases there’s no need to score loads of try’s if it’s a close game going in to the last 20 mins I back us to go and win because I don’t think there’s a fitter team out there

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I can’t say I agree with you bob, we can play any form of rugby we have 2 of the worlds best place kickers, the players we have out injured is phenomenal and for the first time I can remember we are actually patient and can go through a ridiculous amount phases there’s no need to score loads of try’s if it’s a close game going in to the last 20 mins I back us to go and win because I don’t think there’s a fitter team out there
    Who are the players we have out injured?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But it isn't the tries that are winning matches, it's the defence. It is awesome. I was listening to an English player during the week and he said,"If you score a try against this welsh team you know you deserved it" implying the huge effort required to do it.
    I've been a bit out of the loop for a number of years now, however, I am aware of Shaun Edwards' huge input on our defence. Are you saying he's leaving us too?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I've been a bit out of the loop for a number of years now, however, I am aware of Shaun Edwards' huge input on our defence. Are you saying he's leaving us too?
    Yep after the World Cup.

We have a lot of young players coming through who are going to get better. Josh Adams, Adam Beard,Elliot Dee, Tomos Williams, Arron Wainwright, Owen Watkin etc. Even the likes of Ellis Jenkins, Gareth Anscombe and Ross Moriarty are relatively young. We may also have Rhys Webb back in time for the World Cup as he is very unsettled in France.
    So I think we will continue to improve especially as Anscombe is now getting into his stride at ten.