Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
Played for the school (St Albans) and Cardiff Boys rugby before going to secondary school (Lady Mary). A few of us were really looking forward to this, a chance to play football, the game that was always played in St Albans yard (well not just one game, there was always about 3 or 4 games going on, amazing looking back, same goals, 4 different goalies yet everyone knew which game they were involved in and which ‘tennis ball’ they had to chase). Anyway gets to Lady Mary, first day Frank f*cking Callus gets all the new form ones on the back yard to sort out our sporting choices. The bully shouts out ‘Who played for Cardiff boys last year? Move over there’ , a few of us moved, next thing ‘Who played for their school team last year? Join them’, Next thing he says to the ones left was ‘Right, you lot can do soccer���� & cross country’!!!!!! There were obviously a few of us who were desperate to play football (In those day St Patricks was the only Catholic junior school to play football, so all us other Fenians had only known rugby as an organised sport). We actually had to get letters off our mothers requesting that their sons be able to play football. We ended up having a very successful football side but, Christ, we played in rags ( I’ve still got the photos of us in torn shirts, all different shades of blue) while the rugby sides had new kit every year, made us more determined though. By form 4 we shared the Seager Cup with the superstars���� of Fitzalan 1-1, who incidentally turned up for the . final in brand new kit for the occasion while we were like the ragged arse Rovers. No recognition at assembly or anything though, we were the outcast ‘soccer’ lot. So I suggest Frank f*cking Callus is arrested for putting Bale’s windows through and even though I’m writing this lying in a Benidorm hotel bedroom with a Monday morning hangover I’m willing to say I saw him do it��
..similar scenario at my old school. All the teachers bar 1 or 2 were typical rugger chaps - there was no way football was going to get a look in,even though practically everyone played football at break and lunch time...