+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slagging Out Buying Success

Re: Slagging Out Buying Success

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You know we were going nowhere before Sam came along though right? We didn’t have a pot to piss in and it was mainly Steve b that kept us afloat....
    Absolutely. Even after things had turned sour with Hammam, Borley told the press that the club badly needed somebody like him to come in when he did. However, the fact is that in 2000/01 (Hammam's first season), Hull City were also in the Third Division and they ended up getting to the Premier League long before Cardiff. Meanwhile, Swansea City got relegated to the bottom tier that year. They also got to the Premier League before Cardiff. Brighton were another team in the Third Division in 2000/01, while Bournemouth were in the Second Division.

As for Tan's tenure, when he first got involved in 2011/12, Leicester, Watford, Crystal Palace, Burnley and Brighton were all mid-table Championship clubs who finished the season below Cardiff, while Bournemouth were mid-table in League One.

My point is that, in truth, we have no idea where Cardiff City would have been now had Hammam or Tan not got involved in the club when they did. Football fans love their heroes and villains and we all like to speculate what would or would not have happened to our clubs had various things either happened or failed to happen, but in reality we just don't know. One thing's for sure, though - Messrs Hammam and Tan are by no means the only football club owners out there.

I think theres a small percentage of fans who think anyone could have got us promoted with the money Malky had. Personally i dont know 1 person who thinks that.

I know loads who think if Marshall wasnt in goal wed have been lucky to make the play offs.

I can certainly see the game of us buying promotion from league 2 and league 1. However we did it very badly the money we spent compared to other clubs we should have been winning league titles but we didn't.

A lot of the teams in the league can't say they ddint have a chance because of us because we didn't even go up automatically.

There were a number of teams who were probably happy with the amount we over paid for their players.

I certainly don't think we did to win the championship we were very fortunate with decisions and luck that year.

The issue I take with Man City is they have been fortunate is the moaning about tackles and tactics when they have had some of the dirtiest players around.
    I

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I can certainly see the game of us buying promotion from league 2 and league 1. However we did it very badly the money we spent compared to other clubs we should have been winning league titles but we didn't.

A lot of the teams in the league can't say they ddint have a chance because of us because we didn't even go up automatically.

There were a number of teams who were probably happy with the amount we over paid for their players.

I certainly don't think we did to win the championship we were very fortunate with decisions and luck that year.

The issue I take with Man City is they have been fortunate is the moaning about tackles and tactics when they have had some of the dirtiest players around.
    I
    Yeah we definitely bought our way out of the lower leagues.

Who knows what would have happened with Sam if we hadnt won the play off final.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yeah we definitely bought our way out of the lower leagues.

Who knows what would have happened with Sam if we hadnt won the play off final.
    We did buy our way out, quite badly as people say, we bought 2 of stokes main players for big bucks and they went up as champions didn’t they? I don’t think we’d have attracted the likes of VT if we were still yo Yo ing around league 1. Think malky did put together a decent squad too, for less than the cost of a Murphy. But then he spent twice what Neil just has......