+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What Happened To Zohore?

What Happened To Zohore?

I Remember that Evening game against Wolves when Zohore made his entrance like it was yesterday, trailing at half time against a mediocre Wolves saw Warnock make two Half time replacements in Immers and the woeful Richardson, on came Zohore in what appeared to be a desperate throw of the dice, up until then, Ken hadn't shown much, there were plenty of fans who thought that he wasn't up to Championship level, he didn't look the most interested of players and his demeanour was languid, so i didn't hold out much hope. Rumour has it that Warnock told him that this was his final chance before he came on. Zohore didn't disappoint, setting up the winner and running at the Wolves defence, he was direct, strong but also possessed good feet and composure, for me, his display was more satisfying than the result and plenty of us were crediting Warnock over the coming months for Zohores revitalisation, believing he had given Ken the boot up the backside that he needed, in many ways Zohore's emergence drew parallels in what Warnock was doing at the club at the time and the season that followed, awakening a club that seemed devoid of character and belief.

So what's happened with Zohore? When he burst onto the scene he looked to have the attributes needed to be a very good striker although not in the traditional sense, he was dropping in and picking the ball up deep, turning and running at defenders with strength, he was linking up with Harris and Hoilett, his movement was better, often coming wide for the ball and dragging defenders with him in order to create that space for midfielders to exploit, Then it seemed to dry up, i'd say around November of our promotion season, he did pick up an injury if memory serves although and he did show some real moments of quality (His goal against Norwich away was top draw, giving the Keeper the 'eyes') although he didn't seem as mobile and positive, it looked like he had lost something.

It was about this time that that we started to play a bit more defensively, the midfield weren't supporting the striker like they had previously, we weren't playing that quick game that saw us get the ball wide and press teams, we seemed more content to sit in and clear the ball, especially if we had gone a goal up, the quick, dynamic and direct style we'd seen from Warnock over the first twelve months become more conservative and based more on preserving a lead.

Did we see a player who really did have the potential to advance and improve or were we witnessing his 'day in the sun' As fans, did we get carried away and expect a bit to much from Zohore? Maybe Warnocks tactical changes made it difficult for Ken and he doesn't really come from a background where a striker has to do so much thankless work with very little reward, maybe it's his character? I'd be interested to hear what other people think. Personally, i think that i rated him a little to highly and that he doesn't possess that little bit of belief and character to become a top level striker although i am convinced that What Warnock seemingly sacrificed in order to gain promotion has had an affect on Ken. TOBW made a great observation about Zohore some months back, saying that there's an element of immaturity about him when he's out on the pitch, i think that he meant his Demeanour and how he carries himself, i agreed at the time and still think it's a valid point.

Re: What Happened To Zohore?

my eyes! MY EYESSSS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    my eyes! MY EYESSSS!!!!
    Sorry about that. I'm not the best when it comes to writing and setting out, although not usually that bad!

I've heard he has Asperger's syndrome. If true, he'd find it very difficult to get to grips with different tactical changes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I've heard he has Asperger's syndrome. If true, he'd find it very difficult to get to grips with different tactical changes etc.
    Really? I've not heard that. Isn't that a developmental disorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Really? I've not heard that. Isn't that a developmental disorder?
    Yes. Experts are divided whether or not it is a form of autism, but the symptoms are similar in terms that the person won't show much emotion and will find it hard to fit in with others. If you study him in interviews, he comes across as bit distant particularly the one he did with Gunnarsson on YouTube. Also, he's developed a bit of an American twang to his accent. I believe that's a tell tale sign.

Who knows though?

The fact that we brought in Niasse on loan just before signing Sala suggests that Warnock no longer has any confidence in Zohore. Sala would have been our first-choice striker, Niasse would have been the backup and Zohore would have been third-choice at best.

Somewhere along the line Zohore has transformed from the potential Premier League player of 16/17 that Tuerto describes into someone we knock "fighting balls" up to with the intent, presumably, of winning a free kick off as he grapples for the ball with his marker - we don't try to utilise what were Zohore's strengths when he played his most effective football for us, so is that because the injuries, which he has not appeared to be totally free of for about eighteen months, have slowed him down or made him less able to make the sort of runs which so frightened Championship defences?

Maybe there is something to that theory, but I'd also say that Zohore appears to be a player that a manager needs to work really hard on to get a response and so much of the problem with him might lie with what goes on between his ears - whether there is any truth in what is suggested above, I've not a clue, but its seemed to me for a while that Zohore is not what you would call a "typical" footballer by any means.

Talking of injuries, why do we have so many? And why does it take players so long to get back to fitness?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Talking of injuries, why do we have so many? And why does it take players so long to get back to fitness?
    I think the team is being managed with an outdated philosophy. Do we have a team doctor on the payroll?

Yes. Experts are divided whether or not it is a form of autism, but the symptoms are similar in terms that the person won't show much emotion and will find it hard to fit in with others. If you study him in interviews, he comes across as bit distant particularly the one he did with Gunnarsson on YouTube. Also, he's developed a bit of an American twang to his accent. I believe that's a tell tale sign.

Who knows though?
    I'm saw him out once, in a supermarket, and he looked very far away with the fairies ,it was In the week of Sala's death .

There are times when he looks very distant and not connecting with whats happening around him .

If this is a wind up, its a sad one .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'm saw him out once, in a supermarket, and he looked very far away with the fairies ,it was In the week of Sala's death .

There are times when he looks very distant and not connecting with whats happening around him .

If this is a wind up, its a sad one .
    I don't believe it at all. I always had him down as someone who doesn't really like football but has to do it for a living. From interviews I've seen he seems to be a big basketball fan.

Wow that would make it difficult if true

We've played a lone striker versus two centre halves for 2 seasons. It's a thankless & skilled task, that none of our strikers have mastered. 2 goals from our Centre Forwards all season!

We don't have Bothroyd, Chopra & McCormack.

he kept breathing