+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Black Goalkeeper's

Re: Black Goalkeeper's

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Lewis Hamilton could be the greatest his sport has ever seen .

Some say Pele was also a great.

I just like to consider them as great sporting individuals, not sure where skin colour plays a part really .
    In the case of Tiger Woods, it plays a part because black people used to be banned from golf courses.

I don't know if black people were ever banned from tennis clubs; I bet at times there have been big barriers to them joining, if not an official ban.

These are sports where a bit of money traditionally used to be needed to start up, unlike rugby or football, say. And traditionally, in the US and Europe, black people generally had a lot less.

So skin colour has loads to do with it. I bet it was a lot harder for Williams and Woods when they were young than their white peers - perhaps that's where the drive to win comes from.

Lewis Hamilton could be the greatest his sport has ever seen .

Some say Pele was also a great.

I just like to consider them as great sporting individuals, not sure where skin colour plays a part really .
    Skin colour is brought up due to the increased barriers to participation black people face in most sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Skin colour is brought up due to the increased barriers to participation black people face in most sports.
    The fact people refer to others as “black” proves we haven’t moved on very much. We are all just people.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The fact people refer to others as “black” proves we haven’t moved on very much. We are all just people.
    This is a better joke than your first one I’ll give you that

Yes indeed, with the exception of your mum who is "black as Coal"

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yes indeed, with the exception of your mum who is "black as Coal"
    I’m still waiting for you to show me any evidence from other threads where it makes it “fairly clear” that I’m a racist. You seem to have enough time to keep chipping into this thread, but not enough to back up your statement. Maybe you made that bit up 🤔

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Jay Jay Okocha
    Would’ve had him down as a tricky winger myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Patrick Vieira was much more of a ball player than he was ever given credit for.
    Because of his stature (and perhaps his colour) people pigeon holed him as a destroyer but that really wasn't what he was about.
    John Barnes could play in that position once his pace went.
    Ruud gullit played in midfield sometimes and was pretty effective.
    Frank rijkard (so) as well although more defensive.
    Yaya toure
    There must have been a fair few Brazilians over the years
    Vieira maybe, he was class on the ball but even though he wasn’t about that idea he was in that position so can he really be classed as a ballplaying midfielder?
    Guillit was excellent across the park, his main position was attacking midfield/centre forward in his prime so more offensive than ball playing realling
    Don’t know about Barnes personally - didn’t watch him
    Rjikaard was a defensive midfielder primarily...
    Yaya Toure, was more of a box to box powerhouse in my view

Carlton Palmer
    Didn’t watch him play so can’t comment

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Abedi Pele?
    Didn’t see him play unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Kante? Plays midfield for Chelsea.
    Is the best defensive midfielder in the world. Not ball playing midfielder

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Axel Witsel
    Corentin Tolisso
    Blaise Matuidi
    Youri Tielemans
    Gini Wijnaldum
    Fabinho (for Liverpool not Monaco)
    Tanguy Ndombele
    Fred?

There's probably loads more depending on your definition of "ball playing".
    Those are mostly defensive midfielders (Matuidi, Tolisso, Fabinho, Witsel). Others are box to box (Ndombele, Fred, Wjinaldum). Haven’t watched Tielemans enough to verify the claim

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Edgar Davids....Clarence Seedorf
    David’s I didn’t watch but Seedorf was more gifted at box to box in my view. Though I could see that as an exception

CardiffCitySince1927

Really to be honest, Black midfielders generally (not being racist) are blessed with either great pace or strength... These can regularly be handy in the middle of the park however often find these players pushed out on the wing, upfront or in defence. Of course there are exceptions to this (Seedorf e.g.) but you can name 100 Pirlo-esque players who just ping balls out but hardly any black midfielders of this nature

I’m still waiting for you to show me any evidence from other threads where it makes it “fairly clear” that I’m a racist. You seem to have enough time to keep chipping into this thread, but not enough to back up your statement. Maybe you made that bit up ��
    You seem offended. It looks like you spent the night stewing so I hope it didn't ruin your sleep.

We both know that I'm not going to sift through your posts but I saw enough in the brexit threads not to be surprised when I saw your username next to the post.

I guess the rule of thumb is that if you don't like people saying you're racist, avoid making racist jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You seem offended. It looks like you spent the night stewing so I hope it didn't ruin your sleep.

We both know that I'm not going to sift through your posts but I saw enough in the brexit threads not to be surprised when I saw your username next to the post.

I guess the rule of thumb is that if you don't like people saying you're racist, avoid making racist jokes.
    Another rule of thumb, is don’t throw accusations around unless you can back it up.
    What you’ve written above is complete nonsense.
    In all the Brexit threads I’ve contributed to, I’m one of the only leavers who actually gave reasons why, and not one of those reasons, involved immigration, or anything you could level racism at.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    Would’ve had him down as a tricky winger myself.

Vieira maybe, he was class on the ball but even though he wasn’t about that idea he was in that position so can he really be classed as a ballplaying midfielder?
    Guillit was excellent across the park, his main position was attacking midfield/centre forward in his prime so more offensive than ball playing realling
    Don’t know about Barnes personally - didn’t watch him
    Rjikaard was a defensive midfielder primarily...
    Yaya Toure, was more of a box to box powerhouse in my view

Didn’t watch him play so can’t comment

Didn’t see him play unfortunately

Is the best defensive midfielder in the world. Not ball playing midfielder

Those are mostly defensive midfielders (Matuidi, Tolisso, Fabinho, Witsel). Others are box to box (Ndombele, Fred, Wjinaldum). Haven’t watched Tielemans enough to verify the claim

David’s I didn’t watch but Seedorf was more gifted at box to box in my view. Though I could see that as an exception
    Are you saying that Pogba is the only black "ball playing midfielder" then? Not sure what your criteria for that is, especially in comparison to the players named in this thread; unless you think Pogba does nothing other than sit centrally & play passes and that makes him a ball playing midfielder

I won't go through all of the players in the thread again but your descriptions of a lot of them seem incorrect to me in terms of their playing roles. None moreso than you than describing Jay-Jay Okocha as a tricky winger when he was the epitome of a central playmaker. He didn't have the pace to be a winger.

Heisenberg

CCS191927... how have you seen Rijkaard and Gullit but not seen Barnes, Palmer and Davids? That doesn't make sense to me at all.

Well said you got it nailed.

I think it’s more that black people are less likely to get jobs they are more qualified, more likely to be unfairly targeted by police and more likely to be assaulted that shows we haven’t moved on.

There’s nothing wrong with using black as an adjective is there?

CardiffCitySince1927

CCS191927... how have you seen Rijkaard and Gullit but not seen Barnes, Palmer and Davids? That doesn't make sense to me at all.
    I watched a lot of the incredible Milan side 04/05 iirc, and watched a decent documentary on Guillit. They were all before my time tbh

CardiffCitySince1927

Are you saying that Pogba is the only black "ball playing midfielder" then? Not sure what your criteria for that is, especially in comparison to the players named in this thread; unless you think Pogba does nothing other than sit centrally & play passes and that makes him a ball playing midfielder

I won't go through all of the players in the thread again but your descriptions of a lot of them seem incorrect to me in terms of their playing roles. None moreso than you than describing Jay-Jay Okocha as a tricky winger when he was the epitome of a central playmaker. He didn't have the pace to be a winger.
    I mean, he started and ended his career out wide to be honest... in the prime he was played centrally I’ll admit.

I didn’t really mean historically but currently as if you look you guys have named 18 players of both past and present who play offensively and are good at passing - but that doesn’t mean they are a ball-playing midfielder. If we went with currently, Pogba is the only one I have seen to buck that trend... and that is the point. 3% of the country is black, so you don’t expect many... but one? Of course there are going to be exceptions but he’s world class. There’s no championship one is there?