+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Relegated sides from the Premier League

Relegated sides from the Premier League

Over the last 10 years:

9 of the last 30 relegated sides have gone straight back up the following season, 4 through the playoffs. 3 of the last 30 relegated sides have won the Championship at the first attempt - Newcastle twice and Burnley.

5 more sides failed to make it through the playoffs, so just under half of all relegated teams have finished in the top 6.

9 relegated sides have finished in the bottom half, 2 of which were relegated again.

The average position for a relegated side is 9th.

There have been 2 seasons without a relegated side going straight back up. This has only happened once before in PL history. There have never been 3 seasons without a relegated side going straight back up.

The last side to have spent 2 seasons in the Championship following relegation before going back up was West Brom, who were relegated in 2006 and went back up in 2008. It took Norwich 3 seasons to reclaim a PL place this season. We took 4 seasons to get back there along with Fulham, while Wolves took 6 seasons following their last PL relegation.

Re: Relegated sides from the Premier League

It is one tricky league to get out of. However the clubs who have been relegated in the past on the whole have been a complete mess once they entered the championship. Massive high premiership wages, reduced gates, etc, etc. So it does take them a while to get back on track.

I feel that on the whole we must be one of the clubs in the minority who have gone down and are not actually in the shizer with major problems to sort out.
    We already have players with very good championship pedigree and now adding the premiership experience can only add to their qualities. If we can keep hold of key players, Etheridge, Morison, Reid, Patterson, Murphy & Hoilett with 2 or 3 bodies in I do think we can bounce straight back up.

Clubs that bounce straight back tend to keep the same team I think, Newcastle and Burnely definitely did. I reckon if we could keep Arter and add another midfielder, we’d fly it.

You also have to look at the sides that come up from League 1 - they have momentum and I'd like to see the stats for what they achieve after promotion to the Championship

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Clubs that bounce straight back tend to keep the same team I think, Newcastle and Burnely definitely did. I reckon if we could keep Arter and add another midfielder, we’d fly it.
    Good player that he is, can you remind me of how many goals he scored ????

I expect that to be the case. Newcastle could probably afford it. If ever there was a club too big for the Championship, that would be it. They could arguably be a Champions League side based on attendance.

Our difficulty will be that we need a new midfield and are crying out for creativity in the middle. We also need a new strikeforce. We'll also be one of the teams "to beat", which won't make our lives any easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It’s not really a KPI for a defensive midfielder though is it? Blocks made, yards covered, tackles and passes completed are more relevant.

But last time he was in the championship he scored 9 goals - not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    5 fewer than our joint top goalscorers

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Over the last 10 years:

9 of the last 30 relegated sides have gone straight back up the following season, 4 through the playoffs. 3 of the last 30 relegated sides have won the Championship at the first attempt - Newcastle twice and Burnley.

5 more sides failed to make it through the playoffs, so just under half of all relegated teams have finished in the top 6.

9 relegated sides have finished in the bottom half, 2 of which were relegated again.

The average position for a relegated side is 9th.

There have been 2 seasons without a relegated side going straight back up. This has only happened once before in PL history. There have never been 3 seasons without a relegated side going straight back up.

The last side to have spent 2 seasons in the Championship following relegation before going back up was West Brom, who were relegated in 2006 and went back up in 2008. It took Norwich 3 seasons to reclaim a PL place this season. We took 4 seasons to get back there along with Fulham, while Wolves took 6 seasons following their last PL relegation.
    Obviously no relegated team going straight back up this season but one of promoted clubs staying in Premier league. How many of the previous 30 promoted clubs have managed to stay up?

He's gone, pal. He released a 'goodbye' statement last week as well.

The rumour is that he's going to Sheffield United too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Obviously no relegated team going straight back up this season but one of promoted clubs staying in Premier league. How many of the previous 30 promoted clubs have managed to stay up?
    Good question.

Teams that went straight back down:

2009-10 - Burnley
    2010-11 - Blackpool
    2011-12 - None
    2012-13 - Reading
    2013-14 - Cardiff City
    2014-15 - Burnley, QPR
    2015-16 - Norwich
    2016-17 - Middlesbrough, Hull
    2017-18 - None
    2018-19 - Cardiff City, Fulham

30 promoted sides, 11 immediate relegations. Only us and Burnley have managed it twice in the last decade. Twice have no promoted teams gone down. Three times have 2 promoted sides gone down.

About what I'd expect. Thanks for the question. I can sleep easier now ;-)

Good question.

2009-10 - Burnley
    2010-11 - Blackpool
    2011-12 - None
    2012-13 - Reading
    2013-14 - Cardiff City
    2014-15 - Burnley, QPR
    2015-16 - Norwich
    2017-18 - None

30 promoted sides, 11 immediate relegations. Only us and Burnley have managed it twice in the last decade. Twice have no promoted teams gone down. Three times have 2 promoted sides gone down.

All those sides are ones that were in Division Two when I first started watching City in the early 70s. It seems that many teams have a certain equilibrium as to where they sit in the long term.

Good question.

2009-10 - Burnley
    2010-11 - Blackpool
    2011-12 - None
    2012-13 - Reading
    2013-14 - Cardiff City
    2014-15 - Burnley, QPR
    2015-16 - Norwich
    2017-18 - None

We are the ony side to have a 100% record of being relegated from the prem. (with more than one season in it)
    Not exactly a record to be proud of.

Good question.

2009-10 - Burnley
    2010-11 - Blackpool
    2011-12 - None
    2012-13 - Reading
    2013-14 - Cardiff City
    2014-15 - Burnley, QPR
    2015-16 - Norwich
    2017-18 - None

Thanks for Information Eric, Let’s hope we go straight back up like Newcastle and Burnley!