+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Death of the 72? - Article from the Independent

The Death of the 72? - Article from the Independent

Re: The Death of the 72? - Article from the Independent

A good read. Yes attendances are on the up but clubs can't rely on that income alone anymore. A rich benefactor is a must these days (unless it's a US Hedge Fund of course!). We are lucky with Mr Tan at the moment. But you can't beat the thrill of going to a live game though.

Greedy players and agents are to blame, but also the clubs for giving in to them. Clubs strive to get to the PL for all the money it brings in, and then spend it on players who bugger off as soon as they get relegated.

I find it bizarre that social minded folk actually follow football when you see the us v them disparity , surely the vitriol you hear about fat kats ,rich folk , applies to the high end football industry and its employees we cheer on ?

Little family anecdote, my sister-in-law used to be married to Mark Palios. She’s now got the bigger catch of my brother🤪🤪🤪

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    A good read. Yes attendances are on the up but clubs can't rely on that income alone anymore. A rich benefactor is a must these days (unless it's a US Hedge Fund of course!). We are lucky with Mr Tan at the moment. But you can't beat the thrill of going to a live game though.

Greedy players and agents are to blame, but also the clubs for giving in to them. Clubs strive to get to the PL for all the money it brings in, and then spend it on players who bugger off as soon as they get relegated.
    As regular attendees at football, we know this. However, thousands of youngsters don't get to experience this because they are brought up on TV football. They would much prefer to go to the pub and watch "their team" on TV than have a day out at a game. They don't know what its like to travel to a small town in Lancashire in the back of a transit van, with pi55 pouring out of the back doors while it chugs along up the M5, or to get a Football Special to your closest rivals and have to be subjected to a rain of bricks, glasses, bottles whilst being coralled by the police. Or all games kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday or 7.45 on a Tuesday (I'm sure it used to be Wednesday). Getting a copy of the Football Echo at about 5.30 on a Saturday night and finding out what all the other scores were, and where we were in the table. Those halcyon days are far gone, and I doubt we'll see anything like them again.

Many people said live football would be the end of the game - its certainly heading that way.