+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bitcoin update

Re: Bitcoin update

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Cool facts Bro, what other world phenomenons are you struggling with that nobody has explained?
    Actually there’s 3 more i’m struggling with if you can help, is there any actual proof that alien life has visited earth...I’m not sure exactly how a woman’s mind works and for the life of me I don’t understand why the Swansea academy system has been better than ours for the last 30 years!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    Actually there’s 3 more i’m struggling with if you can help, is there any actual proof that alien life has visited earth...I’m not sure exactly how a woman’s mind works and for the life of me I don’t understand why the Swansea academy system has been better than ours for the last 30 years!!
    The last one is easy - they hired the right people.

Bitcoin price has dropped in the last 24 hours. Are any long term holders going to sell and come back again in a few weeks/months?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Bitcoin price has dropped in the last 24 hours. Are any long term holders going to sell and come back again in a few weeks/months?
    It's a bit of a risky game, selling the moment it drops and then hoping to buy back in at the dip. Bitcoin can shoot up overnight and take off like a runaway train again - there's always the danger you're unable to hop back on.

I was recently blackmailed and the blackmailer wanted payment in Bitcoin.

I received an email with a password I have had used for a number of accounts as the header.
    It stated that my accounts had been hacked and that private messages and photos would be uploaded to Facebook if I didn't cough up.

After being taken aback and having done some digging, it seems that the Easyjet data breach last year was at fault - and like many other 'victims' I am currently taking action against the airline.

It seems that the naked selfies I sent to Sludge are safe for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It's a bit of a risky game, selling the moment it drops and then hoping to buy back in at the dip. Bitcoin can shoot up overnight and take off like a runaway train again - there's always the danger you're unable to hop back on.
    Yeah its volatility would stress me out.

I was thinking more of the drop similar to the one in 2018 after the 2017 skyrocket, rather than the typical large fluctuation. It seems to me that bitcoin is in the news again because of the high price, and in 2017 it was big news for a couple of months before collapsing. I wonder if that's gonna happen again. It's surely inevitable that it will drastically drop at some point.

I was thinking more of the drop similar to the one in 2018 after the 2017 skyrocket, rather than the typical large fluctuation. It seems to me that bitcoin is in the news again because of the high price, and in 2017 it was big news for a couple of months before collapsing. I wonder if that's gonna happen again. It's surely inevitable that it will drastically drop at some point.
    99% + of people who have bitcoin at the moment have so as an investment only.
    yes you can use it as a currency, but the amount of use compared to it being held like an investment is absolutely tiny.
    while that is the case it will always be hugely volatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    99% + of people who have bitcoin at the moment have so as an investment only.
    yes you can use it as a currency, but the amount of use compared to it being held like an investment is absolutely tiny.
    while that is the case it will always be hugely volatile.
    where did you get that number from?

By that rationale it is surely inevitable then that it will later climb to a new highest point?

I sold 2k worth last weekend at around 31k with the intention of buying back in the dip.
    Then it went up and up.

Back down now, so will buy some back this week hopefully.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-...40BBCWalesNews

A man who threw away a laptop hard drive containing bitcoin he believes is now worth about £210m wants his council to let him search for it in landfill.

James Howells had 7,500 bitcoins, a virtual currency, on the hard drive, which he mistakenly threw away in 2013.

He said he was willing to donate 25% of the value of the bitcoins to his home city of Newport in south Wales - about £52.5m - if he found the hard drive.

Newport council said excavation was not possible under its licensing permit.

Mr Howells said if he was to recover the hard drive, he would want the money to be put into a "Covid relief fund" for people in Newport to use "no questions asked".

"Imagine how great it would be to say 'I've given everyone in the city a few hundred pounds'," he told the BBC.

Mr Howells bought the bitcoins for almost nothing in 2009, but the hard drive ended up in a drawer after he spilled a drink on his laptop.

He kept the hard drive in his office drawer and "totally forgot about bitcoin all together" - so when he had a clear out, he believed everything had been taken off it.

When he threw the hard drive away in 2013, the value of the bitcoins was about $7.5m (£4.6m).

But now they are worth almost 50 times more, with the cost of a single bitcoin currently just over £28,000 after a surge in value.

He said he has asked Newport council if he could search the landfill several times, but had not been granted permission.

"I offered the local authority 10% of the recovered funds in order to give me permission to search on their property and unfortunately they said no at the time," Mr Howells told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"What actually happened after that was the value of bitcoin skyrocketed even further. In 2017 the value of my hard drive was approximately £125m, at which point I made them another offer of 10% and unfortunately that offer was refused as well.

"I haven't actually made an offer to them today, but I'm willing to increase my offer to them to 25%. On today's valuation that would be £52.5m and I'd like to put that into a Covid relief fund for the citizens of Newport."

Mr Howells said searching for the discarded hard drive would "not be as hard as you might think" as he would employ a professional team - and knows when he threw it away so could use that to find a grid reference of where the hard drive is buried.

He added investors had offered to cover the cost of excavating the landfill, in exchange for a large proportion of the recovered bitcoin.

Mr Howells said he wants to meet with the council to discuss what he said would be a "win-win-win" situation for him, the council and the city.

But a spokeswoman for the council said: "Newport City Council has been contacted a number of times since 2013 about the possibility of retrieving a piece of IT hardware said to contain bitcoins.

"The first time was several months after Mr Howells first realised the hardware was missing.

"The council has told Mr Howells on a number of occasions that excavation is not possible under our licencing permit and excavation itself would have a huge environmental impact on the surrounding area.

"The cost of digging up the landfill, storing and treating the waste could run into millions of pounds - without any guarantee of either finding it or it still being in working order."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-...40BBCWalesNews

A man who threw away a laptop hard drive containing bitcoin he believes is now worth about £210m wants his council to let him search for it in landfill.
    So how is the bit coin on the hard-drive? Surely it's saved online. I can access my $44 worth via a website

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    So how is the bit coin on the hard-drive? Surely it's saved online. I can access my $44 worth via a website
    You can do either, I think. Online means it might be hacked.

I assume he's offering to pay up if he doesn't find the hard drive?

You can do either, I think. Online means it might be hacked.

I assume he's offering to pay up if he doesn't find the hard drive?
    What an idiot - that says it was worth £4.6 million when he threw it away.
    I'm surprised there aren't people digging in the dump for old hard drives if he's willing to pay 25% of it.

For novices:

(broadcast on Radio 4 yesterday)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000r4vh