Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
It is meaty stuff. I should have said that my dad continued to attend church services and church discussion groups all his life - despite his opinion about organised religion. His interest in theology led to him studying philosophy in later life and he would jump around from Christian thinkers, some Islamic writers, the ancient Greeks, John Locke to modern philosophers and treat them all the same.

I rejected religion and faith very young. I then tried to work out what is the 'meaning of life' (Monty Python's take is as good as any) and concluded there is no meaning. We are just here and need to work things out for ourselves. That then led me to a social and political framework for changing the world (power structures and belief systems) so it gives as many people as possible a quality and purpose to life. Teenage idealism that has stuck for a lifetime.

(PS - I'm not Jon Candy. My photos aren't that good!)
Ah apologies to you and Mr Candy.

I hang out with such a wide range of people.. atheists, nominal Christians, Catholics, born agains, Muslims, Seiks, Hindus and Jewish people.

Because I have a relationship with them its easy challenge each other and learn from each other.

The problem, as I see it, is that everyone has strong opinions and want to force everyone to believe the same as them... but without respect and relationship, that is quite impossible.

Look at Dawkins... brilliant scientist (especially with anything to do with the eyes) but has become completely toxic and boring. Likewise many religious people are stuck in the dark ages and lost the ability to self doubt, consider and talk through issues without getting judgemental and upset.

I have no problem people thinking my belief in God is nonsense... it is nuts really - the idea of a world outside of ours... something universal and intelligent and spiritual - it goes against the logic and reason we see in front of us... and I will never ever try and convince people there is a God but I do enjoy debating it.

That's why I like this board - mostly respectful and some really intelligent discussions.