+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Super post Gofer Blue.. and Jon Candy.

Gofer Blue - Hope you are well.

I flip flop about 'church' all the time. I see the good, bad and the ugly.

Having seen, and continue to see, absolute nonsense and damage from the evangelical conservative church (all over the world) - I have long since rejected such institutions. They are ill informed, hateful, poisonous and Theologically wrong on every level. I think Conservative evangelical Christianity is one of the biggest threats to society and the church itself.

I can see the 'benefit' of more organised forms of Christianity where at least some of the leaders are trained and have a better understanding of the scriptures - CoE and Catholic church... but then again I contend with a Catholic Church who allowed Priests to abuse children.

I am friends with some Jesuit Priests, who I find inspirational. They do often the shitty work of the Catholic Church. I worked with them and they agreed that ANY abuse by Catholic leaders should be reported to the authorities - whereas the traditional Catholic way was to deal with it internally - which is illegal and a code for 'covering up'. So I do have a lot of respect for Jesuits... far more than these ill informed and theologically wrong 'born again' types.

Bottom line is I am equally as comfortable and uncomfortable in any church environment.

In terms of your point... IF indeed the country is becoming 'Anti-Christian' - I would propose that it is not actually Jesus that people have an issue with but the behaviour, attitude and grifting of the 'Church' and religious folk. I don't think many people particularly have a problem with the likes of you and I who would define ourselves as 'Christians'... most people wouldn't care if we believe that Darth Vader is Lord and Saviour.... but people do care that the church is hateful, spiteful, grifting and trying to control peoples own lives and decisions. Which I completely agree with them on.

As an aside I was at a quiz night in a team with 4 Jesuits Priests. Can you imagine we lost out by winning the quiz by one point - the Priests knew that the 2012 fourth studio album by Taylor Swift was called 'Red', and yet answered wrongly what the middle chapter of the Bible is (Psalm 117).

Re: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Super post Gofer Blue.. and Jon Candy.

Gofer Blue - Hope you are well.

I flip flop about 'church' all the time. I see the good, bad and the ugly.

Having seen, and continue to see, absolute nonsense and damage from the evangelical conservative church (all over the world) - I have long since rejected such institutions. They are ill informed, hateful, poisonous and Theologically wrong on every level. I think Conservative evangelical Christianity is one of the biggest threats to society and the church itself.

I can see the 'benefit' of more organised forms of Christianity where at least some of the leaders are trained and have a better understanding of the scriptures - CoE and Catholic church... but then again I contend with a Catholic Church who allowed Priests to abuse children.

I am friends with some Jesuit Priests, who I find inspirational. They do often the shitty work of the Catholic Church. I worked with them and they agreed that ANY abuse by Catholic leaders should be reported to the authorities - whereas the traditional Catholic way was to deal with it internally - which is illegal and a code for 'covering up'. So I do have a lot of respect for Jesuits... far more than these ill informed and theologically wrong 'born again' types.

Bottom line is I am equally as comfortable and uncomfortable in any church environment.

In terms of your point... IF indeed the country is becoming 'Anti-Christian' - I would propose that it is not actually Jesus that people have an issue with but the behaviour, attitude and grifting of the 'Church' and religious folk. I don't think many people particularly have a problem with the likes of you and I who would define ourselves as 'Christians'... most people wouldn't care if we believe that Darth Vader is Lord and Saviour.... but people do care that the church is hateful, spiteful, grifting and trying to control peoples own lives and decisions. Which I completely agree with them on.

As an aside I was at a quiz night in a team with 4 Jesuits Priests. Can you imagine we lost out by winning the quiz by one point - the Priests knew that the 2012 fourth studio album by Taylor Swift was called 'Red', and yet answered wrongly what the middle chapter of the Bible is (Psalm 117).
    Hi African Bluebird - all ok here thanks. Are you still in Uganda these days? I haven't been back there for many years now (15 or so?) but still supporting those who are where I can. It is so sad that the actions of a few have tainted the reputation of the thousands of Catholic workers who are working at the "coal face" in some of the poorest places on the planet. I think have gone full circle where my faith is concerned. It really is quite straightforward and yet very easy to get bogged down with theological "stuff" hence am really enjoying being part of a house church rather than a "church" per se - back to the Acts of Apostles days almost! All the best - keep the faith!!