+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I didn't state that religions are barbaric and misogynistic per se. I used the words 'sometimes' and 'when' in that sentence. As for your reference about polar bears it is fair to say that the evidence we have is backed up by science. How many religions can have the same said about them? And do you think that your god is the right one and all the others are wrong? (which is a claim held by many believers whatever their chosen deity/deities is/are? How do account for the multitude of Abrahamist schisms and if your own religion is of that ilk how do you know that you are on the correct version. Let's be honest, most religious believers don't choose their religion by careful analysis and having investigated thousands of religions: they take on the religion passed down to them as a child and defend it as the only true religion that exists.
    Had you been born in a different bed on this planet you would probably be a believer in a different deity. It's rarely about free choice, I'm afraid.
    You're making some massive generalisations. How do you know that 'Many believers' think that their god is the right one and 'others' are wrong, or defend their religion as the only true religion that exists. That simply isn't true in my experience. In my opinion you're way of kilt with your opinions on religious people, the ones that i know don't think that way at all. On another note, yes, people are passed down religion, but plenty of them do question what they've inherited or interpret it a way that suits them and what they believe in, many of them turn away from it, like i did.

Re: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You're making some massive generalisations. How do you know that 'Many believers' think that their god is the right one and 'others' are wrong, or defend their religion as the only true religion that exists. That simply isn't true in my experience. In my opinion you're way of kilt with your opinions on religious people, the ones that i know don't think that way at all. On another note, yes, people are passed down religion, but plenty of them do question what they've inherited or interpret it a way that suits them and what they believe in, many of them turn away from it, like i did.
    Many religions consider their own version to be the only true religions and consider non-believers not worthy of being accepted in the afterlife. Anyway, there's no point arguing about religion but please don't think that I know little about the subject. On a lighter note, in the last two weeks I have visited the sikh's Golden Temple and have had a number of discussions on their religion with various individuals and spoke at length with a Krishna priest in his backstreet temple. I've been to a few mosques but have to confess that this time around that I haven't had any in-depth discussions with the attendees. I have been doing such things for decades. I find religion and history as hugely interesting but I put it in the category of folklore.
    You think differently and we can leave it as that