Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
Jon, I like the way your dad described himself! I would probably call myself a 'Christian who doesn't care much for Christianity'.

I think that Christianity has become polarised, sadly.

If you think back to some of the great Christian minds of 100 years ago or so... Tolkien and CS Lewis etc... they used to sit, debate, argue and consider the world, universe, God etc over a pipe and a pint. They never fell out but disagreed a lot - this is a trait much missing from today. They would then use their 'art' to explore these issues - their doubts, concerns, weaknesses and ultimately joy. C S Lewis wrote about the death of his wife is brutally honest terms. Tolkien explored questioning the existence of God and good and evil, in light of the first world war through Lord of the Rings... how can God exist when so many bad things happen to innocent people.

Really meaty stuff.

We have lost that, sadly.
Yes I agree with much of what you say. However do you think it's possible that people still want answers to the big questions of life but:-

1. Organised religion puts them off from connecting with those they could chat with concerning these things?
2. People these days are too quick to pigeonhole and dismiss everyone which means they end up missing the opportunities for dialogue that you mentioned above re Tolkien and CS Lewis?
3. We've now been conditioned via the media, entertainment and the culture in general to snap at anyone who mentions the Bible but buy a coffee or lunch for anyone who studies philosophy?