+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Re: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    However, it may be that a 'snake' did speak and deceive Eve, and you nor I do not understand how because our 'science' has yet to work it out. Don't dismiss it because you don't understand it.
    Genuine question here as I’m curious about this line of thinking. How are you able you choose to follow one religion over another, or no religion, if your view is not to dismiss anything because it may be you just don’t fully understand it? That would seem at face value to rule no other options out, so why Christianity?

If nothing else you are tenacious.
    Let's go back to Genesis 3 and The Fall. The original Hebrew text says Eve was tempted by 'nachash'..a serpent. English editions of the bible called this a snake, but in literal translation it is a serpent.
    A serpent, as you know, can be a sly, treacherous person who exploits a position of trust in order to betray it....Satan

However, it may be that a 'snake' did speak and deceive Eve, and you nor I do not understand how because our 'science' has yet to work it out. Don't dismiss it because you don't understand it.
    That is laughable tosh. Myth. Absolute nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Genuine question here as I’m curious about this line of thinking. How are you able you choose to follow one religion over another, or no religion, if your view is not to dismiss anything because it may be you just don’t fully understand it? That would seem at face value to rule no other options out, so why Christianity?
    It's a question of testing the Bible and discovering it is trustworthy which will lead you to Christ because the entire Book is centered on Him and His rescue plan for mankind.

No other book in history is written like the Bible, with information that's ultimately 'written' from outside our time and space. In the areas our intellect will allow us to explore, it stands the test of time, knowledge and wisdom.

It doesn't ask us to choose a religion, it provides a diagnosis for the human heart, and then offers the only Solution.

But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners (Romans 5:8)

The default situation is that believers take on board the first religion they are exposed to. No intellectual choice is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    That is laughable tosh. Myth. Absolute nonsense.
    Thought you would say that. So trust you accept my alternative explanation?

The point is that believers either consider Bible stories as absolute truth or they consider the stories to be merely symbolic or allegorical. Once you shift to the latter option the whole edifice falls as you fall into the confused area that my lay preacher friend describes as 'pick and mix'.

If I told you that I had a discussion about high energy physics with a badger in my garden last night would you believe it? Do you have a convincing audit trail of proof to believe in the talking snake? Do you have any audit trail to prove that a person called Moses spoke to God and recorded his words? Do you have any proof of that 'God'?
    Of course not. Poorly educated people thousands of years ago may have believed in those infantilising stories but we have more evidence of the Big Bang than there is regarding a deity creating the universe in a day.
    Most believers don't even have an understanding of who wrote their holy books, how the content was collated, added to, sifted out and everything else.
    And practically all believers swallow the first religion that is foisted upon them by parents, the state, school etc.

Talking Snake v Big Bang. There is more evidence in support of the latter.

The default situation is that believers take on board the first religion they are exposed to. No intellectual choice is involved.
    I see, so it's us that leave our brain at the door? Yet it's you who:

1. Still can't distinguish religion from repentance and knowing Christ as Lord.

2. Thinks all life, including the complex programmes coded into DNA arose by accident. You have about 10 trillion cells in your body, so if you stretched the DNA in all the cells out, end to end, they'd stretch to 744 million miles.

3. Ignores the complexity of life, the human eye is about an inch across has 2 million working parts, and more than 1 million nerve fibers connected to the brain - and 21st Century SCIENCE is NOT able to reconstruct those connections.

An accident!!! So who is ACTUALLY leaving their brain at the door?

Interesting thread this, would love to know your thoughts on Baloo's question:

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post

3. The human eye is about an inch across has 2 million working parts, and more than 1 million nerve fibers connected to the brain - and 21st Century SCIENCE is NOT able to reconstruct those connections.
    Science doesn't need to reconstruct the connections in the exact same way, it's found a different way of doing it. Not perfect yet, but as you said yourself - we went to the moon on a calculator only 52 years ago so replacement eyes will probably be common in another 52 years https://theconversation.com/artifici...eyes-see-79758

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Science doesn't need to reconstruct the connections in the exact same way, it's found a different way of doing it. Not perfect yet, but as you said yourself - we went to the moon on a calculator only 52 years ago so replacement eyes will probably be common in another 52 years https://theconversation.com/artifici...eyes-see-79758
    Assuming future success isn't acheivement. And science is a billion miles from producing DNA, yet you still want there to be no programmer for the incredibly mind blowing complexity within DNA?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Is going to the moon on a calculator like Helen Of Troy launching a thousand ships with her face?

Assuming future success isn't acheivement. And science is a billion miles from producing DNA, yet you still want there to be no programmer for the incredibly mind blowing complexity within DNA?
    But there are things that science (if we must use the word) can produce now that it couldn't in the past, for example cells. So this doesn't seem like a convincing argument.

Grasping a bit here aren't you? Where did I say that, or anything close to it?

There being a "programmer" raises a lot more questions than it answers. If you don't understand the processes by which simple naturally occurring chemical reactions have turned into increasingly complex life forms over a huge amount of time then thats fine, but adding an even more complex being at the start of it all is not a very satisfying explanation is it? where did that programmer come from? did they evolve from simpler beings? back to single celled pre-god creatures? or did they just pop into existence as a fully formed, all powerful deity?

[QUOTE=truthpaste;5239300]I see, so it's us that leave our brain at the door? Yet it's you who:

I have not mentioned 'repentance and knowing Christ as Lord' so I hardly had to distinguish between those concepts and religion. Your comment is highly illogical and rather ridiculous.

2. Thinks all life, including the complex programmes coded into DNA arose by accident. You have about 10 trillion cells in your body, so if you stretched the DNA in all the cells out, end to end, they'd stretch to 744 million miles.
    both your religion and your God are mythical.
    I didn't actually say that things arose by accident but let's park that for now. Your argument seems to be that because something is complex it has to have been designed by a deity. Very poor intellectal argument, it has to be said.

3. Ignores the complexity of life, the human eye is about an inch across has 2 million working parts, and more than 1 million nerve fibers connected to the brain - and 21st Century SCIENCE is NOT able to reconstruct those connections.
    In this thread I have referred to scientific knowledge that we have these days which teach us the most amazing and complex things about life around us (and, ironically, things that the people in the Middle East had no understanding of thousands of years ago). You really don't need to assign comments to me that I didn't make. And your comment about '21st Century SCIENCE' not being able to create things is strange on several levels. It's not science that creates things in the first place. Science (i.e. knowledge that we obtain of the natural world) is what just allowed you to mention some facts about the complexity of the human eye and what assists eye surgeons in carrying out operations -etc so your arguments are a combination of false assumptions, twisted logic and assigning comments to me that I didn't say.

Still, you believe in that talking snake, old fruit.

An accident!!! So who is ACTUALLY leaving their brain at the door?
    All the wonderful things in the world yet this "loving" God gives kids cancer. What an absolute tool he must be. I forgot, all the bad things are Satan's fault. Tosh

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    All the wonderful things in the world yet this "loving" God gives kids cancer. What an absolute tool he must be. I forgot, all the bad things are Satan's fault. Tosh
    Some people might think that mutating genes that lead to cancer are of a complex nature and only something only a deity could design.....

Some people might think that mutating genes that lead to cancer are of a complex nature and only something only a deity could design.....
    Indeed....

Cells can't mutate by accident, apparently.

Cells can't mutate by accident, apparently.
    Really!!...As you are so evidence based perhaps you would elaborate.

I don't understand why parents of kids who die so young or are born severely life limited carry on believing in God ?

I mean surely they are believing in someone who either doesn't do anything about such awful things .......so therefore is not everywhere for everyone all the time ...a fundamental belief in Christianity......or if he is everywhere all the time and all powerful then either he's a nasty git giving kids terminal illness or he's not worthy of all the attention as he's crap at his job

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I don't understand why parents of kids who die so young or are born severely life limited carry on believing in God ?

I mean surely they are believing in someone who either doesn't do anything about such awful things .......so therefore is not everywhere for everyone all the time ...a fundamental belief in Christianity......or if he is everywhere all the time and all powerful then either he's a nasty git giving kids terminal illness or he's not worthy of all the attention as he's crap at his job
    I have a severely disabled daughter and encounter this with people I know in a similar situation.
    They choose to stick with their god as it gives them peace of mind. They see their child as a gift and for god to choose them as parents of this child is some of an honour and a privilege.

Cant see it myself.
    All I see is continuous stressful, emotionally and physically challenging, bloody hard work. Yes its rewarding, but if any god wants to tell me that my daughters 1 in 25000 chromosome deletion is an honour and a privilege they can fck right off.

Yet it's an inconsistent argument to wheel out an Almighty being when they all want to blame someone for mutations, disease, disasters etc etc, while the rest of the time God doesn't even exist in their economy?

Rather than them make childlike assumptions that God can't exist because bad things happen, why won't they do the scientific thing and look at the root of why and when those things started to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I have a severely disabled daughter and encounter this with people I know in a similar situation.
    They choose to stick with their god as it gives them peace of mind. They see their child as a gift and for god to choose them as parents of this child is some of an honour and a privilege.

Cant see it myself.
    All I see is continuous stressful, emotionally and physically challenging, bloody hard work. Yes its rewarding, but if any god wants to tell me that my daughters 1 in 25000 chromosome deletion is an honour and a privilege they can fck right off.
    Amen to that

Yet it's an inconsistent argument to wheel out an Almighty being when they all want to blame someone for mutations, disease, disasters etc etc, while the rest of the time God doesn't even exist in their economy?

Rather than them make childlike assumptions that God can't exist because bad things happen, why won't they do the scientific thing and look at the root of why and when those things started to happen?
    Childlike : randomly occurring cell mutations through a number of well understood mechanisms will occasionally result in a cancerous cell that may begin to replicate itself uncontrollably. The body can usually surpress these mutations but occasionally they become embedded so that they require medical or surgical treatment.

Not Childlike : The big magic man in the sky puts cancers in us because there people who don't believe he exists and that makes him sad. But not sad enough to provide any actual evidence of his existence.