Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
'Bananas have always been classified by quality and size for international trade. Because the standards, set by individual governments and the industry, were confusing, the European Commission was asked to draw up new rules.

Commission regulation 2257/94 decreed that bananas in general should be “free from malformation or abnormal curvature”. Those sold as “extra class” must be perfect, “class 1” can have “slight defects of shape” and “class 2” can have full-scale “defects of shape”.

Nothing is banned under the regulation, which sets grading rules requested by industry to make sure importers – including UK wholesalers and supermarkets – know exactly what they will be getting when they order a box of bananas.'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...us-in-cornwall

Hope that helps.

Well, whilst that's most informative, you've explained why you think the regulation is necessary, which is fair enough, except that it wasn't quite what I asked, was it ?

You originally said that the regulation didn't exist, but it does so I asked you why you thought it didn't .

It's not a huge point. As I said earlier, I'm far more concerned by the EU regulations putting Britain and Jamaica at a disadvantage in terms of jobs and the economy , ( and quality too incidentally) , than I am by the quality control measures in force.

Actually though, such matters used to be settled between growers , shippers, retailers and customers rather than employing battalions of clerks to define and enforce the quality of products. As long as they're of sufficient quality to be safe for human consumption, the quality of the product will set the price and vice versa.

It's quite typical of that organisation to want to unnecessarily involve itself and its publicly funded employees in matters which they have no need to, nor business to interfere with .

By the way, you seemed a bit annoyed in your last reply, but I'm not trying to be nasty or anything - just stating an opinion which you're perfectly welcome to disagree with, and which I shall respect whether or not it coincides with my own.