+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gay footballer

Gay footballer

Can't find the previous thread, may be staring right at me but I'm not seeing it.

Twitter account now deleted. Guess it was a hoax all along. Didn't seem genuine to me, its a shame for anyone that really believed it and put time into it. There were even podcasts about it and all sorts.

International

Re: Gay footballer

If a player is of any persuasion shirley the only thing a club supporter wants to know is "Is he any good?"

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If a player is of any persuasion shirley the only thing a club supporter wants to know is "Is he any good?"
    and can we afford him?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Lets be honest opposition fans will hammer him. I've been to games at Cardiff where there have been vocal abuse to players where there is a suspicion that the player was gay, and of course you see what goes on at many clubs at Brighton every season.

If the account was genuine maybe it was to gauge reaction, and after the reaction it was decided that it was best not to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Lets be honest opposition fans will hammer him. I've been to games at Cardiff where there have been vocal abuse to players where there is a suspicion that the player was gay, and of course you see what goes on at many clubs at Brighton every season.

If the account was genuine maybe it was to gauge reaction, and after the reaction it was decided that it was best not to bother.
    Absolutely right, whichever player comes out will get dogs abuse. We each like to think we're above it, and individually we may be. But in a group, that's not the case.

Yes, it happens with Brighton. People still make gay posts about Brighton on here (I won't name names, but I could). As soon as the player misses a 50-50 it'll be a poofs tackle.

You'd need a few players to come out simultaneously as if the first is alone then all the sponsor deals and money for image rights won't be enough for what he has to go through.

Anyone thinking they won't get loads of abuse is off their head. Any mistake they make would be backed up by homophobic "jokes".

That's ignoring all the anti gay abuse non british fans of clubs seem to post on twitter etc any time the rainbow laces etc get mentioned.

I see no reason why people should be expected to announce their persuasion.

Most people these days accept that there are many people "different" to them and wouldn't worry finding out a team mate or an opponent was gay.
    There are many out there and I have no doubt many know about them too.

If a player was to come make it known to the world then I am sure he would know what the probable knock on effects of his actions would be.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Most people these days accept that there are many people "different" to them and wouldn't worry finding out a team mate or an opponent was gay.
    I think more people than any time in the last 20 years don;t think that now

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I see no reason why people should be expected to announce their persuasion.

There are many out there and I have no doubt many know about them too.

If a player was to come make it known to the world then I am sure he would know what the probable knock on effects of his actions would be.
    The is no expectation, however the current gay footballer has no way to live his life the way he pleases without fear of being caught on camera and exposed, by either the national press or social media.

With twitter and other forms of social media where fans are constantly directly abusing players, i am sure they have a pretty good idea of what the backlash would be.

It was [probably one of the many CCMB user accounts