+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At last proper talk

At last proper talk

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rules-to-staff

I'd be useless in this party,I thought comma's were for thick poor grammer commoners like me .

Re: At last proper talk

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rules-to-staff

I'd be useless in this party,I thought comma's were for thick poor grammer commoners like me .
    He can have few more

As in
    Off
    You
    Daft
    backwards
    Thinking
    Reactionary
    Arse
    Hole

Perish the thought that we'd try to use our language effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    From a post by soulsurfer3 at 20.34 last night;-

"I am pleased to learn this antiquity makes a regular cock of himself.

Very • due to • ongoing • hopefully • unacceptable • equal • too many "I"s • yourself • lot • got • speculate • invest (in schools etc) • no longer fit for purpose • I am pleased to learn • meet with • ascertain • disappointment • I note/understand your concerns

According to the Guardian, the official transcript of parliamentary proceedings, Hansard, recorded more than 700 instances of Mr Rees-Mogg using one or other of the banned words or phrases."

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Very • due to • ongoing • hopefully • unacceptable • equal • too many "I"s • yourself • lot • got • speculate • invest (in schools etc) • no longer fit for purpose • I am pleased to learn • meet with • ascertain • disappointment • I note/understand your concerns

According to the Guardian, the official transcript of parliamentary proceedings, Hansard, recorded more than 700 instances of Mr Rees-Mogg using one or other of the banned words or phrases."
    He’s a very dangerous man. He’s as far right wing as you can get, he’s anti women’s rights and gay rights.

All in all a bloody freak. And, anyone who dresses his son the same as him is off their rocker, poor kid.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...essed-16656163

I wondered when you (or Wales-Bales) would pipe up with support for Rees-Mogg.

However as others have commented he doesn't even follow his own guidelines - whether or not they promote effective use of language. A mixed bag on that score.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Writing formal letters and speaking are two entirely different things. Didn't they teach you that in your English class, or did you just fail to remember it on this occasion?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I wondered when you (or Wales-Bales) would pipe up with support for Rees-Mogg.

However as others have commented he doesn't even follow his own guidelines - whether or not they promote effective use of language. A mixed bag on that score.
    E-

Jon is a disruptive pupil and must try harder!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    E-

Jon is a disruptive pupil and must try harder!

Fair enough. I must remember to address all non-titled men in future as 'esquire'! Shocking how standards have slipped isn't it?

Fair enough. I must remember to address all non-titled men in future as 'esquire'! Shocking how standards have slipped isn't it?
    Many organisations have style guides, it is very common, and they are not based on the spoken word.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Many organisations have style guides, it is very common, and they are not based on the spoken word.
    Out of interest do you have a title we should be using when talking to you on this board?

Something like Grand Wizard Of The Alt-Right Black Ops Division (Cardiff Chapter)?

Clearly as an admirer of Jacob Rees-Mogg you will be keen to avoid being the subject of accidental disrespect.

He's on the naughty step.

Out of interest do you have a title we should be using when talking to you on this board?

Something like Grand Wizard Of The Alt-Right Black Ops Division (Cardiff Chapter)?

Clearly as an admirer of Jacob Rees-Mogg you will be keen to avoid being the subject of accidental disrespect.
    Bit over the top , bit of a Trump like outburst.

Do not think WB or RB are supporting the loon, in a
    political sense.

The post is a about the use of correct grammar elucation.

Mad Mogg feels the English language has been downgraded over the years, hey he may have a point ,when listening to folk these days.

(Wasn't there a post about this recently, sharing irritating examples of modern speak ? )

It doesnt make one right wing to think about the correct use and appropriate gramner /elecution, surely it is associated to education .

Or is the use of correct grammar / elocution, or speaking correctly , now considered right wing by its nature use (Init ,gorra worry )

Wish I had the skill to deliver better communication and grammar , should have better used my educational opportunities as a child .

Most Ministers have their preferred written style guide when they come into office, though Rees-Mogg's is probably at the extreme end and probably gives an insight into his character. The only equivalent I can recall in my former life was Owen Patterson (spookily also a Brexit hardliner) who had the same hatred of the Oxford comma that Rees-Moss esq. seems to display. Still, the badgers did for Owen pretty quickly so one can only hope a similar fate awaits the Right Honourable Gentleman for the 19th Century Workhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Most Ministers have their preferred written style guide when they come into office, though Rees-Mogg's is probably at the extreme end and probably gives an insight into his character. The only equivalent I can recall in my former life was Owen Patterson (spookily also a Brexit hardliner) who had the same hatred of the Oxford comma that Rees-Moss esq. seems to display. Still, the badgers did for Owen pretty quickly so one can only hope a similar fate awaits the Right Honourable Gentleman for the 19th Century Workhouse!

I wonder if he wants ‘bellend’ hyphenated?

Rees-Mogg's future diktats could include:

Referring to footwear as spats
    The use of brilliantine instead of modern hair products
    Using dubbin on one's boots
    Having a mid-morning spot of tiffin
    Starching collars being brought back
    The return of cardigans (and with the leather buttons that looked like old-fashioned footballs)
    Whalebone corsets being obligatory
    Socks with suspenders being de rigeur
    Belts to be replaced with braces
    Smoking jackets to be worn in Cabinet
    Cigarettes only to be smoked in long holders
    The new prime minister to be transported from No.10 to Westminster in a sedan chair
    Velvet dressing gowns to be worn in late-night parliamentary session
    Nanny to put one to bed each evening.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Nah... Think he'll probably be Prime Minister before he's finished. Genuine article you see - not pretending to be anything which he's not.

Nah... Think he'll probably be Prime Minister before he's finished. Genuine article you see - not pretending to be anything which he's not.
    You do have a point , at least you know what he is , no pretence or fence sitting .

You do have a point , at least you know what he is , no pretence or fence sitting .
    It will only take a few days in broad daylight and his character would tarnished. Rees-Mogg believes in quite a few things that would be considered completely backward by the majority of the electorate (and that majority grows every day).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    It will only take a few days in broad daylight and his character would tarnished. Rees-Mogg believes in quite a few things that would be considered completely backward by the majority of the electorate (and that majority grows every day).
    I have to be fair he is a very strange bod , he is like a throw back to Victorian times, I believe he is a very religious catholic as well with ,string views on abortion and same sex marriage, which should get even more folk going .

I have to be fair he is a very strange bod , he is like a throw back to Victorian times, I believe he is a very religious catholic as well with ,string views on abortion and same sex marriage, which should get even more folk going .
    I’m Catholic and I find him a nauseating hypocrite who’s Victorian obsessed values don’t sit Weill with me.

Plus he’s had money tied up in artificial birth control so as well as being a faux sanctimonious arsehole he’s a hypocrite.

David Squires latest - staring the Honourable Member for the 17th Century:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ld-of-football

David Squires latest - staring the Honourable Member for the 17th Century:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ld-of-football
    Squires is a genius, are we banned from reading the Tory light Guardian though and its non supporting Corbyn views

Squires is a genius, are we banned from reading the Tory light Guardian though and its non supporting Corbyn views
    I think I am one of the biggest critics of the Guardian and its' campaign against Corbyn (using Brexit or anti-semitism as alternate weapons of choice). But I am happy to read it online every day (not uncritically of course) and to link to stories or pieces it carries. It is what it is, and sometimes it is interesting or informative.