+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "We're going to have a right go at it this season".............

Re: "We're going to have a right go at it this season".............

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    Well if we're prepared to spend £2 million to replace someone who started just 3 league games for us last season (and less than 30 in over 7 years) that makes our transfer policy even more confusing.
    No, it doesn't. It's very straightforward. They obviously think Whyte is good and can challenge the other wingers. I am very good friends with an Oxford fan who says that Whyte is/was their best player by a country mile. Currently if we get an injury to one of our wingers we have to play the other two and have nobody on the bench to cover the position. Oxford also valued Whyte at 4m earlier in the window, he's young and if he can kick on in the Championship we will be able to either turn a profit or have a very good player in our squad.

I’m not disputing that Whyte could turn out to be a good signing - just that he is likely to be seen as rather more than a replacement for one of our fringe players.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    I’m not disputing that Whyte could turn out to be a good signing - just that he is likely to be seen as rather more than a replacement for one of our fringe players.
    Or, he's an upgrade over Hoilett, or even the other two. You don't necessarily want fringe players to replace fringe players. Get someone in that can push the others. Imagine if you've been worked over by NML and Murphy for 60 minutes, and then someone as good comes off the bench with fresh legs.

We needed a winger. He looks cheap for his talent. He's young and can improve. This is a very, very good bit of business and actually has some logic. Harris wasn't very good, that's why we had to play Hoilett even when he looked shot to bits.

Quote Originally Posted by dicey1966 View Post
    Yes this also crossed my mind. Why the £eck would we want 4 wingers !
    Surely if you start 2 wingers every week you need 2 back ups too?

Seeing as they had the bloody motor racing on Radio 5, I listened to Talksport for the first time in years yesterday afternoon as I drove to Aberdare and by coincidence heard Shaun Derry say that Gavin Whyte was a very good prospect who he thought would do well at Cardiff because he's just the sort of player Neil Warnock would get the best out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    People were begging for that when Tan took over, people were begging for that when Neil took over with us likely to be playing our football in league one.

The Championship is littered with clubs who are seriously on the edge, I think our current squad/manager will have us up there and in with a shout of promotion.
    Totally agree , I think it's a better squad than we had when we went up from the Championship two years ago , and certainly more experienced than last time .

I would bid for Nick Powell he is still only 25 .

One or two good loans might suffice.

We could be anywhere between first and 20th

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Totally agree , I think it's a better squad than we had when we went up from the Championship two years ago , and certainly more experienced than last time .

I would bid for Nick Powell he is still only 25 .

One or two good loans might suffice.
    Nick Powell signed for Stoke on a Bosman this summer.