+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Osian Roberts off to Morocco

Osian Roberts off to Morocco

Osian Roberts is joining The Moroccan FA as technical director. Got to be a huge blow not just for this qualifying campaign but for years to come. Massive loss, Giggs is really going to prove his worth now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49200298

Re: Osian Roberts off to Morocco

Giggs isn’t going to do anything

Not good. This Giggs thing has been a underwhelming so far.

This is a hell of a loss, he’s the man behind

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    This is a hell of a loss, he’s the man behind
    the machine

Ridiculous. A massive blow to the future of Wales football at every level

Quote Originally Posted by Toggs View Post
    Osian Roberts is joining The Moroccan FA as technical director. Got to be a huge blow not just for this qualifying campaign but for years to come. Massive loss, Giggs is really going to prove his worth now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49200298
    Oh dear! We've most definitely failed to qualify for next year's Euros. Article doesn't mention why he's gone. Maybe he's fed up with Giggs banal style of play, and realises we are going backwards as a football nation?

While on the surface it's a massive blow, I can't think of anyone who cares about Welsh football more than Osian and therefore I don't think he would have moved unless it was right for Wales too. What he played a major role in is still here and now has people he worked with closely driving it on and developing young coaches, who will in the future take over themselves. His legacy may very well be the "Together Stronger" message - remember the embrace at Cyprus away? - so as long as that's kept going strong then we're better than before he arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Not good. This Giggs thing has been a underwhelming so far.
    Underwhelming? It's been an absolute farce.

Rather than my remote comments having never met Osian, I'll reprint below a tweet from a guy I do know, respect and who did his badges under Osian.

Thank you
    @Osian_Roberts
    for the holistic role you have played within Welsh Football. Throughout your time the progress in talent identification, talent development, the coach education pathways and the success of all our national teams has been immeasurable #madedreamscometrue

International

My first question to myself was did he leave to go to a better job or to get away from Giggs.
    Then I read somewhere that he felt that since Giggs' arrival his role had been "somewhat diminished"
    says it all for me.

I felt from the start that he was only kept on as a token gesture. Shame really, seems the guy did and offered a lot but he wasn't the man for Giggs.

Unfortunately i don't think Giggs is the man for Wales, or for football management for that matter.

This is bad news. With David Brooks our for three months as well our chances of qualifying for the Euros are now looking remote.
    Roberts has always been regarded as a hugely influential coach who is passionate about Welsh football. This is a big loss. I would much rather he had been named Welsh manager over Giggs.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    My first question to myself was did he leave to go to a better job or to get away from Giggs.
    Then I read somewhere that he felt that since Giggs' arrival his role had been "somewhat diminished"
    says it all for me.
    We performed like a team without spirit in the two June internationals and any Wales football side without spirit is going to struggle - Giggs faces a huge test in the next few months and there's been little so far to suggest he'll pass it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Underwhelming? It's been an absolute farce.
    That's a little extreme. The team is underperforming. It's nothing new.

That's a little extreme. The team is underperforming. It's nothing new.
    We've gone from a team that's hard to beat that doesn't score, to a team that's easy to beat that doesn't score. If you can tell me what Giggs' plan is, you're smarter than me.

We've gone from a team that's hard to beat that doesn't score, to a team that's easy to beat that doesn't score. If you can tell me what Giggs' plan is, you're smarter than me.
    I'm not a mind reader. We've had a few injuries. We have young players that are not getting enough game time with their clubs. And Bale has not played well. It's not like Giggs is making bizarre team selections or employing weird tactics. He's just not getting the best out of the team. It's hardly farcical.

I'm not a mind reader. We've had a few injuries. We have young players that are not getting enough game time with their clubs. And Bale has not played well. It's not like Giggs is making bizarre team selections or employing weird tactics. He's just not getting the best out of the team. It's hardly farcical.
    We performed as badly under Coleman on several occasions, but we're rescued by an in form bale

International

But shirley one of the main tasks of an international manager is to get the best out of his players?
    He picks the ones he thinks are fit so them not having game time and being selected is also his call.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We performed as badly under Coleman on several occasions, but we're rescued by an in form bale
    We played badly but didn't lose because we played to a plan. We're an absolute shambles now.

I find it odd that you're the first one to criticise Warnock or City but then you're going into bat for Giggs. Although, I'm doing the exact opposite so

I find it odd that you're the first one to criticise Warnock or City but then you're going into bat for Giggs. Although, I'm doing the exact opposite so
    I'm not going to bat for him. I think he's doing a poor job. I just think your use of the word "farcical" is a bit extreme. That is all.

It’s sad to see him go as he’s turned around the entire coaching set up at the FAW and it’s courses for A and Pro licenses are now world renowned. Plus we’ve had so many good youngsters come through under his time. Deff end of an era in that respect.

I’m not too sure if this will affect the 1st team that much because even Cookie had other assistant managers like Kyt Symons/Trollope and Speedo had the Dutch fella, Ossian’s influence was strong though.

My worry is we can’t find anyone as good to be Technical Director. Good luck to him in Morocco though, served Wales well.

I think Giggs has time to turn it around and will judge him after the campaign. I was a very vocal ‘Coleman out’ advocate after his first year in charge but I soon changed my tune once we started getting results.