Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
I was someone advocating for him to stay and that was based on me thinking the job he was doing here was not yet finished and the stability he was able to bring. I also said that success this year would be in setting us up to compete over the next several years rather than what Neil has been talking about: one more promotion.

Playing style: we largely know what it's going to be but jumping from Slade to Trollope hardly worked out and I would advocate evolution of style rather than revolution. I can't remember who said it, it may have been me or I might have stolen it, but changing from DJ to Malky to Ole to Slade to Trollope was a bit like a drunk swaying from side to side: neither the club or the drunk has any idea about how its going to get to where it wants to go. Farke at Norwich may have done well in his second year but first did not pull up trees, and frankly we're getting posts questioning whether to question the manager after one defeat....

Transfers: I would love to know what transfers made this past summer people disagree with. If we end up with Smithies staying then I can't see the need for Day, I struggle to see the point in Flint given what we have here and that Warnock could easily find us a really good CB to cover us for the next three or four years, but apart from that I like the potential of each one.

It's very early in the season and while it was a concern to concede three goals on the opening day it really was just the opening day. He'll be gone in a year and if we're left with the core of a side to either challenge for promotion to premier league or aid survival, a new training facility and 18,000 plus season tickets no matter what league we're in then he'll have done well.
I can't speak for anyone else but I don't see the problem with a season or two of stabilization like Norwich did before we make serious inroads towards a promotion challenge.

The result Saturday is genuinely not an issue for me and I'm aware that anyone can beat anyone in this league.

I still expect us to do really well this season and Warnock will no doubt prove many wrong and set us up to get results we never thought possible.

I have no problem with going backwards to go forward though I don't think large sections our fan base would share my views. I'm aware that I see the game very differently to Bluetit or Lawnmower for example but that doesn't make either of us wrong.

I feel that we don't have a fan base primed to play the ball out from the back and I think people would go mad during the period of transition.

My problem isn't with the individuals who have been brought but rather that we haven't addressed the needs of our squad.

Our biggest need was to address the midfield and the full back situations and these have been neglected yet again.

Managers always seem to have blind spots, Wenger with defensive midfielders etc.
We always cried out for pace under Malky, Dave Jones which was left unaddressed.

As Hartley says, we sign players that clearly won't work hard enough for Warnock yet he seems surprised when they play as they've always play.

It would be nice to see us have a strategy that shows we're thinking about the balance of our squad.