+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: US-UK discussing 1st November trade deal

US-UK discussing 1st November trade deal

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain and the United States are discussing a partial trade accord that could take effect on Nov. 1, the day after Britain is due to leave the European Union, a senior Trump administration official said on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1V31QV

Re: US-UK discussing 1st November trade deal

Remoaners and their beloved BBC would have trouble spinning that as a negative in spite of being afflicted with Stockholm Syndrome with their desire to continue being dominated by Germany and France while paying through the nose for the dubious privilege.

This new opinion poll will also confound those who are desperate to endure as forelock-tugging EU serfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Remoaners and their beloved BBC would have trouble spinning that as a negative in spite of being afflicted with Stockholm Syndrome with their desire to continue being dominated by Germany and France while paying through the nose for the dubious privilege.

This new opinion poll will also confound those who are desperate to endure as forelock-tugging EU serfs.

One of the problems with the risk of blindness in one-eye is that you never know who will be afflicted next!

https://fullfact.org/europe/telegrap...ng-parliament/

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    One of the problems with the risk of blindness in one-eye is that you never know who will be afflicted next!

https://fullfact.org/europe/telegrap...ng-parliament/
    'Using statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost, for support rather than illumination'

The primary purpose of polling these days is to drive public opinion not record it.

We have a trade deal with the USA via the EU, and Trump hates it.

If we negotiate one on our own, it'll be one that Trump loves (as we'll be desperate).

Which deal do you think will be better for the UK? One Trump hates or one Trump loves?

How many members of the public have the foggiest idea of the consequences of a no-deal Brexit (or even of staying in the EU)? Most people tend to speak using superficial slogans rather than having detailed economic arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

If we negotiate one on our own, it'll be one that Trump loves (as we'll be desperate).

Which deal do you think will be better for the UK? One Trump hates or one Trump loves?
    Think you are wrong on this one. The proposed trade deal TTIP was stopped by Trump and was stalling anyway. Negotiations have restarted. You are right to point out what will be the marginal benefit of a UK/US deal compared with an EU/US deal when balanced against the no-deal with our biggest collective trading partner.

It is more the case when you look at the rest of the world. EU has negotiated deals with more and more of the globe, most recently Canada, Japan and the South American bloc (Mercasor) which we are frantically trying just to roll-over with a UK stamp by 31st October. Even then many countries are holding out on that sensing there are concessions to be squeezed.

Think you are wrong on this one. The proposed trade deal TTIP was stopped by Trump and was stalling anyway. Negotiations have restarted. You are right to point out what will be the marginal benefit of a UK/US deal compared with an EU/US deal when balanced against the no-deal with our biggest collective trading partner.

It is more the case when you look at the rest of the world. EU has negotiated deals with more and more of the globe, most recently Canada, Japan and the South American bloc (Mercasor) which we are frantically trying just to roll-over with a UK stamp by 31st October. Even then many countries are holding out on that sensing there are concessions to be squeezed.
    I stand corrected Cyril.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    How many members of the public have the foggiest idea of the consequences of a no-deal Brexit (or even of staying in the EU)? Most people tend to speak using superficial slogans rather than having detailed economic arguments.
    Here is a small example of the intricacies of global trade.

A friend of mine works for an agricultural marketing consultancy and has been working on a project on opportunities for export of skimmed milk powder to Indonesia.

Just the type of market post-Brexit that would be on our radar. 275 million people, 6% economic growth and an appetite for things produced in our temperate climate that they cannot produce themselves.

At the moment there is a 5% import duty on SMP whilst the Australians and New Zealanders have negotiated zero tariff via their trade deals. The hope has been to get equivalence and to be able to compete more easily.

Concurrently however, to show our environmental credentials and support for the preservation of the orang-utan we, along with other EU countries, decided to ban imports of Indonesian palm oil. Indonesia responded by increasing the import duty on SMP five-fold effectively excluding UK produce from that market.

You could argue that when we leave the EU we can unilaterally decide to lift the ban on palm oil and get preferential access to Indonesian markets, particularly as we may lose EU markets trading on WTO terms. Also the fate of the rain forest and the orang-utan is a small price to pay compared with the economic benefits that may accrue.

I think we should close Dover for two weeks. Might give people an indication of what no deal Brexit will be all about and stop those advocating no deal Brexit harping back to crap references about a war they never lived through.

Bearing in mind people have a meltdown if they can’t get WiFi in a public place and rang 999 when kfc ran out of chicken be interesting to see the spirit of the Blitz come though then.

Here is a small example of the intricacies of global trade.

A friend of mine works for an agricultural marketing consultancy and has been working on a project on opportunities for export of skimmed milk powder to Indonesia.

Just the type of market post-Brexit that would be on our radar. 275 million people, 6% economic growth and an appetite for things produced in our temperate climate that they cannot produce themselves.

At the moment there is a 5% import duty on SMP whilst the Australians and New Zealanders have negotiated zero tariff via their trade deals. The hope has been to get equivalence and to be able to compete more easily.

Concurrently however, to show our environmental credentials and support for the preservation of the orang-utan we, along with other EU countries, decided to ban imports of Indonesian palm oil. Indonesia responded by increasing the import duty on SMP five-fold effectively excluding UK produce from that market.

You could argue that when we leave the EU we can unilaterally decide to lift the ban on palm oil and get preferential access to Indonesian markets, particularly as we may lose EU markets trading on WTO terms. Also the fate of the rain forest and the orang-utan is a small price to pay compared with the economic benefits that may accrue.
    Thanks, I welcome factual and helpful situation from either side of the fence in order to educate myself on a matter that I know so little about considering the complexities involved. It's just a pity that most people I come across (and see being questioned on TV in vox pop street interviews) know no more than me about the subject themselves but are very dogmatic about the ramifications of Brexit.
    Unfortunately, my 'A' level Economics pass qualifies me to vote on the subject as much as my 'O' level woodwork qualifies me to design and create quality furniture from trees that are still standing.............

I wonder what is worse, being "forelock tugging EU serfs" or forelock tugging US serfs?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I wonder what is worse, being "forelock tugging EU serfs" or forelock tugging US serfs?
    I think that rather depends on how many delegates we get offered to the Electoral College and how many Congressmen and women and senators we are allowed to elect if we are looking for some kind of democratic equivalence.

I think that rather depends on how many delegates we get offered to the Electoral College and how many Congressmen and women and senators we are allowed to elect if we are looking for some kind of democratic equivalence.
    My understanding of serfdom was that there was no representation as such and they were just grateful for whatever they could get.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My understanding of serfdom was that there was no representation as such and they were just grateful for whatever they could get.
    But...but in the EU the UK has/had 13% of the voting rights in the Council of Ministers and a veto on certain areas of foreign affairs, taxation, justice and budgets, almost 10% of the democratically elected MEPs and a Commissioner. Seems serfs are pampered and spoiled these days!

I think that's probably the most ludicrous argument I've ever seen on this or any other message board .

We're not signing up as a State, or handing sovereignty to the USA by making a trade deal with them, so why on earth would we be taking part in their elections ?

I don't think you're so simple minded as to be mixing these completely different areas up, so that's just an attempt to mislead people isn't it ?

Wot???

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I think that's probably the most ludicrous argument I've ever seen on this or any other message board .

We're not signing up as a State, or handing sovereignty to the USA by making a trade deal with them, so why on earth would we be taking part in their elections ?

I don't think you're so simple minded as to be mixing these completely different areas up, so that's just an attempt to mislead people isn't it ?
    He's too subtle for you, Ronnie.

He's too subtle for you, Ronnie.
    I thought I had layered it on with a plastering trowel but I suppose clarification is always helpful for the ignorant...or rather the ignored!

I thought I had layered it on with a plastering trowel but I suppose clarification is always helpful for the ignorant...or rather the ignored!
    You're record on this message board has been mostly abysmal. You have spent the past few years trying to convince everybody that Trump Russia Collusion and the subsequent Obstruction of Justice case was an actual thing. Although you may have tremendous self-belief, I have to take everything that you say with a pinch of salt based on observed outcomes. If you do want to be taken seriously, then you have start building a track record about being right about stuff, but it will probably never happen due your fondness for reading biased and clearly false news articles. You are are quite entertaining though and always good for a laugh, so please keep it up

Four out of the five posters I thought I'd trigger have crossed the finishing line. I'm awaiting Cardiff Irish to weigh in for the accumulator to be in the money.

Okay, but you didn't answer the point, did you ?

You have no idea whether I'm ignorant as you put it, so you base that upon nothing and it's just abusive - trying to play the man because you cannot play the ball.

For some reason best known to yourself , you're doing a tribute act of government spin doctors, but it's really not very convincing.
    Your comments are not aimed at me of course, since you found out that you couldn't bullshit your way around the subject when you started trying to baffle me with science about farming and soon revealed that you were operating solely upon what you'd picked up whilst filing letters in DEFRA.
    No, you're hoping you'll find an audience who won't question your broad statements and won't look beyond your your sad and empty put downs. I'm hoping that they'll see through you progressively though.

Four out of the five posters I thought I'd trigger have crossed the finishing line. I'm awaiting Cardiff Irish to weigh in for the accumulator to be in the money.
    Well wagered. I must admit I let out a quiet chortle....alright a big guffaw, when you started quoting John Bolton. You have spent a few years posting on how he is the Prince of Darkness. Suddenly, the Walrus of War says the world will be fantastic for the UK from 1st November forwards and you treat anyone not bowing down to him walking down from Mount Sinai with some tablets of stone like a blasphemer. It's almost like Johnny Boy wants us to detach ourselves from Europe and start his next crusade against Iran asap. Given he is your new Moses I guess you are on board.

I posted above dear, you must be getting sloppy in your old age.

By the way I’m looking forward to your next Sludge instalment as that always brings a tear of laugher to my monobrowed chops 😉👍