+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decent result against ccmb's favourite team

Re: Decent result against ccmb's favourite team

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don't remember the 16/17 team being as negative in their outlook as this one. When Neil Warnock first came here, I used to say that I was enjoying most of the games I saw and, to show what I mean, I've just dug out my piece on the 2-2 draw with Fulham in February 2017 which is headed simply "Best game of the season so far"

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/best-...season-so-far/

Not only did I think that, I'm positively gushing for much of the piece - e.g.

"If you fall into that category, I can tell you that, by any criteria that matters when it comes to watching sport, you made the wrong choice because Cardiff City 2 Fulham 2 was a magnificent and memorable game of football. It’s hard to make decisions like this with any certainty and, of course, there’s always that sense of disappointment when your team doesn’t win, but, off the top of my head, I’d say it was the most enjoyable City match I’ve watched since we beat Man City in our first home Premier League match three and a half years ago."

Now, I think a few things need to be said here. First, we had a centre forward who was absolutely on fire at the time and so that was probably influencing how we were approaching matches, second, it was probably dawning on everyone that we weren't going to go down that season, but it was also pretty certain we weren't going up either, so that could lead to a more adventurous approach, thirdly there has to be a possibility that I was going over the top a bit because Warnock football was not as bad as I feared it would be.

Two and a half years on, things seem different to me. I accept that my attitude may have changed somewhat in that time in that familiarity with the Warnock style has led to a degree of contempt, but I don't think the change I see between then and now can solely be put down to that. Unlike the "right go" mentioned in the summer, we really did have a right go at Fulham in 2017, last night we played as we do against most of the teams we face - as if we are scared of them.
    Funnily enough I was thinking about that article you wrote in the run up to yesterday's game. That line about having to reevaluate what you thought of as exciting football was exactly how I felt at the time.

We havent always played the same way under Warnock, some of the football played in his first season and a half was a joy to watch. Genuine counter attacking football played at great pace with no lack of skill, making the most out of a great crop of wingers and an outstanding striker in Zohore.

For me it all changed following the run of four defeats over the Christmas of the promotion season. It was then that Warnock started to play Paterson as a number 10 and we went far more long ball with more of an idea of keeping the game tight and hoping to nick something rather than actually going out to beat teams.

In fairness to Warnock it got us promoted but **** me its dull as shit to watch. Does that mean I want is to play 'tippy tappy' football as some of the Luddites on here like to say? Not really, I'd be perfectly happy the Mark 1 Warlock City team playing high temps counter attacking football

Last night was another dirge of a game. All the usual failings were there, no tempo, tons of aimless punts up field, constantly conceding possession and forwards that barely get a touch. Ironically it was the one bit of class that lead to our goal, a beautiful dead weight through ball from Flint of all people. I don't know about anyone else but I am just getting so bored of watching us play like this. There is practically zero entertainment value, all that matters is the result. Still I dare say that there a some people that would subscribe to the old Alan Durban maxim, "if you want entertainment, go and watch clowns"

We seem more negative this year than in any of Warnock's previous. However, if we can get Glatzel, Murphy and Whyte working together then it could become a more attractive front line than we've previously had as well.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    We seem more negative this year than in any of Warnock's previous. However, if we can get Glatzel, Murphy and Whyte working together then it could become a more attractive front line than we've previously had as well.
    I agree, I look at Glatzel and think he might not be that great a goalscorer for us, but I see signs that he could be an effective forward at this level in a team that offered more of a "footballing" approach. Tomlin worked hard for the team when we didn't have the ball last night, but attacking wise he almost may as well have not been on the pitch save for one lovely ball for Glatzel - those two seem to be on the same wavelength when the, very rare, chance comes along for him to play like a number ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    Funnily enough I was thinking about that article you wrote in the run up to yesterday's game. That line about having to reevaluate what you thought of as exciting football was exactly how I felt at the time.

We havent always played the same way under Warnock, some of the football played in his first season and a half was a joy to watch. Genuine counter attacking football played at great pace with no lack of skill, making the most out of a great crop of wingers and an outstanding striker in Zohore.

For me it all changed following the run of four defeats over the Christmas of the promotion season. It was then that Warnock started to play Paterson as a number 10 and we went far more long ball with more of an idea of keeping the game tight and hoping to nick something rather than actually going out to beat teams.

In fairness to Warnock it got us promoted but **** me its dull as shit to watch. Does that mean I want is to play 'tippy tappy' football as some of the Luddites on here like to say? Not really, I'd be perfectly happy the Mark 1 Warlock City team playing high temps counter attacking football

Last night was another dirge of a game. All the usual failings were there, no tempo, tons of aimless punts up field, constantly conceding possession and forwards that barely get a touch. Ironically it was the one bit of class that lead to our goal, a beautiful dead weight through ball from Flint of all people. I don't know about anyone else but I am just getting so bored of watching us play like this. There is practically zero entertainment value, all that matters is the result. Still I dare say that there a some people that would subscribe to the old Alan Durban maxim, "if you want entertainment, go and watch clowns"
    Glad to see it's not just me who feels like this.

Regarding last night, I go into far more detail in my blog piece, but I thought in some ways it was our best performance of the season so far - what happened after they had Arter sent off was not good at all though.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Were you at the ground ? I doubt it very much from those comments. The armchair critic brigade are at it again. Some of the football from us in the first half was excellent. Fulham made 322 passes and eighty per cent of those were back and forth across the pitch by their two centre halves. We were playing with two wingers and four forwards for most of the match, so how is that anti football ? What is anti football is a team that continually dives and wastes time from around the thirty minute mark, a la Fulham.
    Some folk just can’t grasp it, they think Barcelona did it, but they didn’t, they were effective and incisive. Fulham weren’t. No point wast8ng time explaining, try explaining in on planet swamp

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I've no idea why some of these people persist with our club since they really don't seem to like it much.
    There are two teams quite conveniently located for those who don't like Cardiff City and they both play the kind of football they keep saying they love. I refer of course to Swansea and Bristol City.

Just jump on a train lads, and you can cheer all the short passes and stuff to your heart's content .
    Don’t forget Newport County.

I opted for their ifollow package and watch the odd city game online when available.

Can’t say I’m regretting it atm. Especially if yesterdays performance is considered good!

I’ve been a bluebird for 30 years and NW’s shit football won’t change that. I’m just not gonna watch MY team playing that football.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's only one of W-B's alter egos trying to be a wind up merchant. I'm convinced of that.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree, I look at Glatzel and think he might not be that great a goalscorer for us, but I see signs that he could be an effective forward at this level in a team that offered more of a "footballing" approach. Tomlin worked hard for the team when we didn't have the ball last night, but attacking wise he almost may as well have not been on the pitch save for one lovely ball for Glatzel - those two seem to be on the same wavelength when the, very rare, chance comes along for him to play like a number ten.
    And the one Murphy stopped his run for was pretty impressive as well.

Commentators even said “just because Tomlin isn’t looking at you doesn’t mean he hasn’t seen you, Murphy should be anticipating that pass”

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Don’t forget Newport County.

I opted for their ifollow package and watch the odd city game online when available.

Can’t say I’m regretting it atm. Especially if yesterdays performance is considered good!

I’ve been a bluebird for 30 years and NW’s shit football won’t change that. I’m just not gonna watch MY team playing that football.

That's good. Take a few others with you