+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A dreadful team to watch

Re: A dreadful team to watch

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Fulham passed the ball in triangles between Mawson, Ream and Arter for large periods of the game constantly trying to probe us into going forward and leaving space in behind for them to attack Morrison and Flint. The fact we held our shape so well should be applauded because if we’d gone gung ho to press high up the pitch then we’d have been sliced apart.

The moaning from people like the OP (who gave up on the club a few years ago then suddenly came back last season if I remember rightly) is more painful than anything we watched last night.

The squad is pretty stretched atm, the last thing we needed was to go into the international break on the back of a defeat. 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses from the first six games isn’t brilliant and it’s far from dreadful either.

Last night’s game was no different to games like Derby, Millwall, Middlesbrough and Bristol City at home during the last Championship campaign. The ball didn’t fall for us last night though.

Had Glatzel’s header gone in or Morrison’s been tapped in then everyone would’ve been lining up to praise him.

Warnock has his faults (shock horror - he’s spent the majority of his career in the football league) - but having a pop at last night is just silly behaviour.
    Top post. Both teams were more than happy with a point and that's how it finished.

Fulham weren't good enough to create chances with their endless possession and we weren't good enough with the limited possession we did have. We aren't going to boss possession, that's clear from the last few years, even under previous managers. The constant moaning after each game is tiresome but each to their own.

Some just love a good moan and this is their avenue for it.

I had two screens on the go last night, and I'm sorry to say I was more attracted to the game in which Timo Werner scored a hattrick. I can't believe his release clause is only €30 million, and he is definitely worth a cheeky bid! So my advise is to find a neautral second team who play decent football. This will provide some much needed Yang to the Yin that is Warnockball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    All our wingers are slow with the cross. Its bizarre really when elsewhere on the pitch its got rid of quickly.
    It is strange.

A cross from deep now and again wouldn’t be a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    But we had five first team players missing and a number on the bench carrying knocks, so this is obviously having an effect. Also how you can say that we are weaker without Zohore is totally beyond me. Glatzel looks a good player and just needs a goal. He has worked harder and contributed more in the last six games than Zohore did over the previous 18 months.
    Do you agree with Morrison taking long throws in attacking positions? Continuously launching long throws down the line looking to win the 2nd ball and against 10 men. The seemingly inability of players to bring the ball down and pass it rather than boot it hopefully or resort to head tennis

Some of the tactics are questionable and I question what ball work we do in training as so many players look uncomfortable on the ball.

This is a football forum. Its not all bad but where as there is a poster or 2 (probably known multi) who clearly doesn't like the club virtually all of us on here love the club and want us to succeed.

If you were watching Morrison launch it down the line and thought thats great then fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ugh, is it really only four years that you've been banging on with your one basic post (you always say the same thing)? It seems like decades to me.
    At least I like the team I support and enjoy watching them play. Your 'message' hasnt changed much either over the same period by the way - at least I am consistent and have as much right to post on here as you do, as far as I know. Sorry if my liking of the club offends you and others. Hopefully gradually people are beginning to see through the continuous criticism by the same people all the time for what it is - a bunch of mainly armchair 'know alls' who cant bear the fact that we have has success in recent times.

At least I like the team I support and enjoy watching them play. Your 'message' hasnt changed much either over the same period by the way - at least I am consistent and have as much right to post on here as you do, as far as I know. Sorry if my liking of the club offends you and others. Hopefully gradually people are beginning to see through the continuous criticism by the same people all the time for what it is - a bunch of mainly armchair 'know alls' who cant bear the fact that we have has success in recent times.
    Do you wake up and drop yourself on your own head from the top of the stairs every morning, or are you just a little bit thick?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yeah, I can remember you saying that so often when Zohore was still at the club .
    Glatzel has only been here a few weeks and arrived after Zohore left, so how could I possibly have said that before.

When I saw the title to this thread I genuinely thought that it referred to Fulham. There were periods of the game, even before the red card, when Fulham retained possession for what seemed an eternity simply by passing the ball around the back four and one or two midfielders. One particular period in the second half went on to such an extent that I thought that the crowd had fallen to sleep. 70% possession is all very well, but I thought Fulham were downright boring.

Then I saw the name of the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Do you agree with Morrison taking long throws in attacking positions? Continuously launching long throws down the line looking to win the 2nd ball and against 10 men. The seemingly inability of players to bring the ball down and pass it rather than boot it hopefully or resort to head tennis.
    It was unwatchable. I'm starting to think that Tan is partly responsible for allowing it to happen. I can't see any decent players wanting to come here under the current regime.

Glatzel has only been here a few weeks and arrived after Zohore left, so how could I possibly have said that before.
    Jesus wept.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Do you wake up and drop yourself on your own head from the top of the stairs every morning, or are you just a little bit thick?
    Here we go with the personal insults - wondered how long it would take.

Why do you take others opinions so hard? Really isn’t any need for the condescending reply.
    SB started by saying "I don’t think the OP understands football that well if he doesn’t understand why we played like that last night."

Any reason you didn't pull him up on his condescending reply and reserved such comments for me?

Here we go with the personal insults - wondered how long it would take.
    It’s a serious observation

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    SB started by saying "I don’t think the OP understands football that well if he doesn’t understand why we played like that last night."

Any reason you didn't pull him up on his condescending reply and reserved such comments for me?
    Because he’s given an opinion, he’s come to the conclusion you don’t know a lot about football. That’s his opinion.

Nothing really condescending about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous Angel View Post
    When I saw the title to this thread I genuinely thought that it referred to Fulham.
    Did you enjoy City's performance last night? Did you think the football they produced was decent?

Because he’s given an opinion, he’s come to the conclusion you don’t know a lot about football. That’s his opinion.

Nothing really condescending about it.
    Ah, OK.

I've come to the conclusion (long ago) that you're an idiot. Nothing condescending about that. Just my opinion.

During his post-match interview with Sky last night, Sean Morrison was honest enough to admit that Cardiff's tactics against Fulham involved nothing more than "sitting back and trying to play on the counter-attack."

Meanwhile, Josh Murphy told Sky the pre-match plan had been "to frustrate the opposition and play more like a Neil Warnock team."

The way City set up, you could have been forgiven for thinking they were facing a top Premier League side in a cup game or playing away to a leading Championship team who were in top form, but they weren't.

Cardiff were playing at home against a Fulham side they had finished in front of during the last two league campaigns; a side who were abysmal for the majority of last season; a side with a rookie manager and a notoriously fragile defence; and a side who had already been beaten by Barnsley and Nottingham Forest this season. Nevertheless, Warnock's tactics were all about stopping the opposition rather than attempting to take them on.

After Harry Arter stupidly and deservedly got himself sent off, City had almost half an hour to press home their man advantage and try to play some proper football. However, they created just three chances during that time - a long range effort from Joe Ralls that went well wide, a tame header from Robert Glatzel that went even wider and another header from Sean Morrison that also missed the target.

The manager's reaction to gaining a man advantage was not to take off a defender or a defensive midfielder and bring on a second striker to play alongside the isolated Glatzel. Instead, he took off one ineffective winger and brought on another. The result was that his players spent most of the last half hour pumping aimless balls from one side of the field to the other while barely threatening the goal of a team who were clearly rattled and obviously far from great.

Cardiff City's football has been difficult to watch for much of Warnock's tenure, but this season his team looks especially grim. In recent months, I've highlighted how few draws the Bluebirds have been involved in during the last year or so. Their sequence of 53 games without a score draw was finally ended last night and it looks to me like there will be plenty more draws in the coming months.

Warnock told Sky's reporter after the match that he doesn't have a clue where his team will end up this season. To me, they already look mid-table bankers. They're nowhere near weak enough to be involved in a relegation scrap, but by the same token they don't appear to have either the quality or the ambition to get involved in the battle for promotion. Meanwhile, the football they play makes for utterly dreadful viewing.
    In a nutshell, no positivity, nothing else to add.

Ah, OK.

I've come to the conclusion (long ago) that you're an idiot. Nothing condescending about that. Just my opinion.

You’re welcome to it, no harm in having an opinion.

No wonder so many people have wanted to kick your face in on here over the years 😂

You’re welcome to it, no harm in having an opinion.

No wonder so many people have wanted to kick your face in on here over the years ��
    That's not a problem either. They've all been idiots, in my opinion.

As it happens, I've encountered far more decent people as a result of this message board over the years than idiots and have even become good friends with a few. The idiots are of no great consequence. Never have been, never will be.

That's not a problem either. They've all been idiots, in my opinion.

As it happens, I've encountered far more decent people as a result of this message board over the years than idiots and have even become good friends with a few. The idiots are of no great consequence. Never have been, never will be.

There are some decent people on here. Great opinions too.

Did you enjoy City's performance last night? Did you think the football they produced was decent?
    No - I didn't enjoy the game at all, in fact I thought it was really poor all round, and the City haven't produced much "quality" football for quite a while now, but I would still rather watch quick direct football than a bore fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous Angel View Post
    No - I didn't enjoy the game at all, in fact I thought it was really poor all round, and the City haven't produced much "quality" football for quite a while now, but I would still rather watch quick direct football than a bore fest.
    So would I, as long as 'quick direct football' doesn't equate to pumping hopeful long balls across the field to nobody in particular, giving away possession easily and frequently, wingers running up blind alleys before losing the ball or putting it out of play and relying on little more than set-pieces for goalscoring opportunities.

I would say when done right, Warnock football is as exciting as it comes. I love the sheer chaos and unpredictable nature of the counter attacking showing we have seen from a Warnock Cardiff. Much preferable to the sit and clap, footballs equivalent of paint by numbers, that teams like Man City can serve up.

When it’s bad, it’s really bad. Almost comparable with Sunday league.

We’re not always pretty but at least we have a plan. More so than most managers who just buy good players and expect them to just ‘work’.

Sometimes in this league you need something different. Our hoofball is ours.

Im pretty certain DML its a wind up account. Has to be?

So would I, as long as 'quick direct football' doesn't equate to pumping hopeful long balls across the field to nobody in particular, giving away possession easily and frequently, wingers running up blind alleys before losing the ball or putting it out of play and relying on little more than set-pieces for goalscoring opportunities.
    Yes, I understand that we played badly - you've made that point very clearly. We obviously have have very different agendas when it comes to commenting on matters relating to Cardiff City. I know what mine is - I can only guess at yours.