+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Operation Yellowhammer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Operation Yellowhammer

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Not sure if serious, but...

You say "we", but you've mentioned just two people by way of example, and they are both dead. So those guys won't be around to invent us out of trouble.
    The trouble is in your mind, and others like you.
    Nobody is saying it’s gonna be smooth sailing. A big change is always gonna have teething problems, and some will suffer more than others while we get used to it, but that’s happened since time began.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Nobody is saying it’s gonna be smooth sailing. A big change is always gonna have teething problems, and some will suffer more than others while we get used to it, but that’s happened since time began.
    But why stick a pin in your eye when you don't have to?Nice of you to think of those who will suffer so that a minority of politicians can indulge in some ancient ideological notion of the Empire days when the ruling classes bowed to no one.Project fear is now becoming project reality and thanks to the law we may now know the full extent before we jump off the cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    But at least you're happy for people to suffer. What benefit do they get for their suffering?

John Humphries on Radio 4 this morning said that the revelations of Operation Yellowhammer were akin to a disaster movie where the supermarket shelves start to empty and panic sets in, leading to looting and rioting etc. I do wonder if this isn't just in the realms of movie making. I believe modern Western civilisation has only a thin veneer of "civility" which would quickly vanish in such a scenario.

We (and I include myself in this as a baby-boomer) are the post-war spoilt generations. We have no concept of shortages of the basic necessities of life unlike my parents who lived through WW2 (I can just remember sweet rationing finishing in the early 50's). Look at what happened in the Bahamas recently after the hurricane - armed gangs looting whatever they could scavenge. I'm pretty sure they were not doing this in order to share with their neighbours!